ROAD NOISE ISSUE-REAR AREA

Mr. Westfield

Do all of the Edge's have excessive road noise when driving?

There is a constant roaring noise when driving from the rear of the vehicle. Definitely tire noise.

I rotated the tires and the noise is the same. The wheel bearing are ok.

Has anybody felt that these trucks are a bit "road noisy"?

I almost think that Ford did not insulate the wheel well areas at all.

I want to purchase some DynaMat and paste it everywhere behind the driver.

Has anyone done this?

Hey MOFSTEEL, who are you the Edge Forum Police?

The search box barely works when looking for information.

Either you contribute to positive feeds on the forum or mind your own business.

I am sorry that I am new to this forum and don't understand YOUR rules.

No, just a newer member of this forum who is sick of seeing the same topics being bumped up day after day because people don't use the search function.

If the search box "barely" works then why was I able to post links in two of your threads that had your questions already answered?

I contribute positively to many forums but not a fan of people who join a forum to flood the board with pointless threads because of pure laziness.

It is not my rule but simply a protocol that is being followed and has been followed by forums for years.

BTW, here is what I found when using the search.

These are just two of many topics that address the same question you asked.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...06&hl=quiet

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...51&hl=quiet

Searching will get you your answer more quickly and relieve the board of meaningless double threads.

• Like 1

Do all of the Edge's have excessive road noise when driving?

There is a constant roaring noise when driving from the rear of the vehicle. Definitely tire noise.

I rotated the tires and the noise is the same. The wheel bearing are ok.

Has anybody felt that these trucks are a bit "road noisy"?

I almost think that Ford did not insulate the wheel well areas at all.

I want to purchase some DynaMat and paste it everywhere behind the driver.

Has anyone done this?

Bad wheel bearing. Had the same problem thought it was tires. Ran them down to the wear bars had them replaced and roaring noise was still there. Took it to Ford had a bad right rear whell bearing. Replaced under warranty just got it back now it is nice and quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's a wheel bearing.

I usually am in the driver's seat in my Ford Edge, but, I was a passenger in the back seat on a rather long drive home and was very surprised at the amount of road noise when sitting in the back. I had a hard time hearing normal conversation at highway speed.

So, I removed the cover, spare tire etc..... and there is absolutely no insulation back there. It's just painted metal separating the back seat passenger from road noise. Very surprising !...and somewhat disappointing, considering how well built the rest of the vehicle is.

Being a recording studio owner, I'm sure the Dynamat stuff would help a little bit, but, you have to remember that sound is like water. The barrier must be air tight to really be effective. If Dynamat is thick and heavy it will help. Mass is good !

Edited by d-dmusic

• 6 months later...

Please let us know if the Dynamat works.

I will buy it and lay it down if it does.

I am also thinking about lining the wheel wells with that stuff.

I am glad that others think that this truck is a bit noisy as well.

I too think I have this problem but mine is not under warrenty.Does anyone know how much I'll be looking at when I receive my bill?

I have a new 2010 Edge AWD Ltd. Traded it for a 2008 Edge AWD Ltd. The 2010 is definitely noisier than the 2008. One of the reasons I bought the 2010 was because I really like the quietness of the ride in the 2008. It almost seems as though some soundproofing that was on the 2008 is not on the 2010. Has the same Michelin tires. Am in discussions with the dealer but I do not expect much since noise, unless one has decibel readings of each, is subjective. Also, put a comment in the in-line survey. Again do not expect any response, but hope live eternal. Just hope that Ford is not doing a Toyota and focusing on volume at the expense of product.