Aftermarket Horns, anybody?

It seems that I have not been able to find any thread discussing that, I was wondering if anybody had replaced the horn with a beefy one. It seems that people is getting retarded by day where I live, specially the kids while crossing the streets, yesterday i found was skating along the traffic with some earbuds all the way in and with a music so loud that I could hear it inside my car, and to have an extra loudness little help will definitely at least piss them off...

Any idea of location, and one that may fit, without getting fancy in air horns or the like, maybe a musical one..... :rockon::rockon:

get something like this and you can have musical horns, record your own, or have a PA to yell at people :)

anyway, I have replaced horns - as yes, there are 2 in your car, a high and low on opposite sides of the radiator area typically. I replaced on in my FJ40 for air horns... no missing them, but it has a Chevy 350 so loud engine to overcome.

tapping into your current horn relay/wiring is really the tricky part.

can't recall seeing anyone here yet do horn swap

get something like this and you can have musical horns, record your own, or have a PA to yell at people :)

anyway, I have replaced horns - as yes, there are 2 in your car, a high and low on opposite sides of the radiator area typically. I replaced on in my FJ40 for air horns... no missing them, but it has a Chevy 350 so loud engine to overcome.

tapping into your current horn relay/wiring is really the tricky part.

can't recall seeing anyone here yet do horn swap

Not that kind, man!!! Be srious... :redcard:

I'm talking of something louder, but still rational, air horns are a bit tricky and on top they need a compressor that honestly I do not want ot mess with that...

Something like a bullhorn, or those Hella loud ones

of course I was joking

as for air horns.. the compressor, which comes with, is a piece of cake. self contained. if you do new horns, you would have to do horns, likely the relays, wiring and so adding the compressor is not much more.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/...n&Submit=Go

I have the one in the upper left.. not on my edge mind you. inexpensive, easy to install and plenty of HONK

I wanted a new set of horns, and I wanted loud ones. So I thought if I'm going to do it, lets do it right the first time and don't use any wussie stuff.

I used a set of train horns with a 3 gallon tank and a Viair compressor with a cutoff at 200psi. It's not that hard to hook any of it up, just takes a little time. the more time you'll spend, the cleaner the install.

People hear me when they don't understand normal everyday driving skills!

I would like to do a simple installation, nothing complicated, if posible a plug an play, something like replacing the original ones with a new set, using the same spot, we do not ahve too much room on the edge front anyway to play with...

Does anybody had done any actual installation on an edge that we can see the pistures...???

• 2 weeks later...

Given that I was not able to find any loudest horn till now, I decided that instead, and given that our vehicle horns are just on the right side, why not installing another set on the left side, that will for sure double the loudness, but I may require a wire harness for that purpose, I do not want to be "creative"...does anybody knows the part number for the horn wire harness, to see if at least I could get the connectors...???

you will need another relay and power to it you wont be able to piggy back from the other set.

Fuse is rated to 20A, relay must be at least 30A, the relays those guys sell is mainly for bikes, not for SUVs, I do not think that both sets will go over 20A, not even over 15A, but I will measure first the one I have across the fuse with multimeter, and as logic indicates double will be double of current...

Given that I was not able to find any loudest horn till now, I decided that instead, and given that our vehicle horns are just on the right side, why not installing another set on the left side, that will for sure double the loudness, but I may require a wire harness for that purpose, I do not want to be "creative"...does anybody knows the part number for the horn wire harness, to see if at least I could get the connectors...???

I second what securinu already said.. add another horn set, get ready to wire and add relay to do it right, not piggy back your existing wiring harness

but more interesting is that there is no guarentee "installing another set on the left side, that will for sure double the loudness" - on the contrary, this could have adverse effects unless you do your due diligence. unless you use a set that works with the tone/notes of your current horn, you could end up getting something taht when fired togther, sounds like a :censored: disaster. this is exactly why there are generally 2 horns of 2 different notes. if fired alone, they are weak, but when fired together, they work in tandem to create a range that works. you go arbitrarily adding a second set of horns and ughhh it could be a mess

you are a prime candidate for air horns, you want LOUD, and if your going to say you want the path of least resistance, but then talk about adding a second set of horns, and then about sourcing out relays and wire harness, etc... just get a darn air horn kit and get on down the road with it - you could have had air horns in by now and disconnected the stock horns and been blasting to your hearts desire

If you want something that will blow them out of their stupor, try one of these compact WOLO Air horns. I'v used them on my motorcycles and I guarantee they will command attantion, They are small and can be mounted easily. They are available at Northern Tool and Harbor freight.

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

Edited by flyerjmr33

I second what securinu already said.. add another horn set, get ready to wire and add relay to do it right, not piggy back your existing wiring harness

but more interesting is that there is no guarentee "installing another set on the left side, that will for sure double the loudness" - on the contrary, this could have adverse effects unless you do your due diligence. unless you use a set that works with the tone/notes of your current horn, you could end up getting something taht when fired togther, sounds like a :censored: disaster. this is exactly why there are generally 2 horns of 2 different notes. if fired alone, they are weak, but when fired together, they work in tandem to create a range that works. you go arbitrarily adding a second set of horns and ughhh it could be a mess

you are a prime candidate for air horns, you want LOUD, and if your going to say you want the path of least resistance, but then talk about adding a second set of horns, and then about sourcing out relays and wire harness, etc... just get a darn air horn kit and get on down the road with it - you could have had air horns in by now and disconnected the stock horns and been blasting to your hearts desire

Lex a second set of "stock horns" for sure will have the same freq and notes of the ones we already have install, it is not that I will get the first horns I will find to install them...they have to be alike of course I know that, otherwise the mixing of the freq will end as you said in a not louder but even "less attractive" sound. Adding the same exact horns, will double the loudness (double loudness means just adding 3db more, not that you will have 300db, OK?), you are adding them in parallel, so the sound will be exactly the same in all four, unless you have a catastrophic close to the specs design, that nobody does, of course current will be double as the voltage is the same 12volts, and you are drawing more current, that is simple physics...All get's to the point of measuring and see if we can add them the way they are right now...

BTW all our the wiring on a vehicle is at least double of the designed AWG for the current, at least...Not because they over-designed, just because wire is very cheap and any decent gauge wire will support the currents we will have there, so not need to skim on that. So no adverse effects, of course all will be measured, if I have to find and replace relays, that will be the end of the project as I do not want to mess with electronics that will void the warranty just by simple visual inspection...

The aftermarket ones, considering that Ford for years have used several aftermarket manufacturers of their horns, FIAM, Stebel, etc...are not in any way, a warranty that any you can get will sound louder, at least not any electric ones, we have online several articles of actual measurements of those horns, and they all lie on the claimed db values, including FIAM, Stebel, and many of them, the differences are not even small, in the order sometimes of 50db, I'm talking of actual measurements in front of car, not in an echoic chambers....Sorry but I do not like the air ones, first the hassle of the installation and second they do not sound right to me, the notes they choose are not very nice...Some are too brithgt the other are too deep, like a boat...

Edited by Kanatronic

Lex a second set of "stock horns" for sure will have the same freq and notes of the ones we already have install, it is not that I will get the first horns I will find to install them...they have to be alike of course I know that, otherwise the mixing of the freq will end as you said in a not louder but even "less attractive" sound. Adding the same exact horns, will double the loudness (double loudness means just adding 3db more, not that you will have 300db, OK?), you are adding them in parallel, so the sound will be exactly the same in all four, unless you have a catastrophic close to the specs design, that nobody does, of course current will be double as the voltage is the same 12volts, and you are drawing more current, that is simple physics...All get's to the point of measuring and see if we can add them the way they are right now...

BTW all our the wiring on a vehicle is at least double of the designed AWG for the current, at least...Not because they over-designed, just because wire is very cheap and any decent gauge wire will support the currents we will have there, so not need to skim on that. So no adverse effects, of course all will be measured, if I have to find and replace relays, that will be the end of the project as I do not want to mess with electronics that will void the warranty just by simple visual inspection...

The aftermarket ones, considering that Ford for years have used several aftermarket manufacturers of their horns, FIAM, Stebel, etc...are not in any way, a warranty that any you can get will sound louder, at least not any electric ones, we have online several articles of actual measurements of those horns, and they all lie on the claimed db values, including FIAM, Stebel, and many of them, the differences are not even small, in the order sometimes of 50db, I'm talking of actual measurements in front of car, not in an echoic chambers....Sorry but I do not like the air ones, first the hassle of the installation and second they do not sound right to me, the notes they choose are not very nice...Some are too brithgt the other are too deep, like a boat...

A sound that you dislike is a sound that will make someone take notice! The Stebel and The Wolo compact air horns take one bolt to mount and simply switching the wires from the stock horns--- and, a 2.5DB increase is double the noise! They will blow a stock horn away---

your kidding right, I do this for a living everyday. i see the fires that people create in there own cars from "Yo everything is wired right but it dont work" Now just being devils advocate here how do you figure that manufactures put in wire for double what they need because wire is cheap?

Have you not seen the price of copper over the past few years or heard of houses that are empty getting gutted of their copper wire and copper pipes?

when was the last time you saw a manufacture spend one penny more than they absolutely have to for anything in the manufacture process?

You can wire it any way you want its your car and maybe you will get away with it but is it worth less than $10 in parts to skimp on it. If so then forego the wire harness from the dealer if it even is available at all .all it is on the horns is male spades sticking out just use 2 females connectors and wire. oh and while you at it might want to buy a fire extinguisher to save the family from the potential fire.

Edited by securinu

Measure the voltage at the alternator (14V) and then at the headlight plug (12V).

Where did the two volts go? Lost due to inadequate wire size. OEM wire is marginal at best.

It's pretty easy to use the relay that comes with the Stebel and the Wolo air horns and simply use the OE wires for closing the relay. That eliminates any voltage drop to the horn and will prevent the OE wires from melting the insulation. These air horns need a 10 amp circuit. Most cars will have no problem without the relay, but, if you are a "belt & suspenders" guy, I'd recommend using it! :happy feet:

your kidding right, I do this for a living everyday. i see the fires that people create in there own cars from "Yo everything is wired right but it dont work" Now just being devils advocate here how do you figure that manufactures put in wire for double what they need because wire is cheap?

Have you not seen the price of copper over the past few years or heard of houses that are empty getting gutted of their copper wire and copper pipes?

when was the last time you saw a manufacture spend one penny more than they absolutely have to for anything in the manufacture process?

You can wire it any way you want its your car and maybe you will get away with it but is it worth less than $10 in parts to skimp on it. If so then forego the wire harness from the dealer if it even is available at all .all it is on the horns is male spades sticking out just use 2 females connectors and wire. oh and while you at it might want to buy a fire extinguisher to save the family from the potential fire.

OK let's set this straight, my first question was if anybody had done any horns replacement, or know of any aftermarket electric horns, to replace the ones we have for louder ones, if you said that you do this for a living, as I have no intentions of arguing, and if your only intention is to offer a valid input why not offering a recommendation that a person that does that or a living should know...as you also own an Edge and know for sure what kind of horns you have installed...I have not received yet any reco that i could use other the air horns or vintage horns that God knows where to get, maybe junk yard or the like...

Kempie to have a 2volts drop from the alternator to the headlight due to bad wiring, the wire have to be hair thin, or maybe all rusted, or in a very bad condition, or you have a resistor on the way, there is no way that any wire could produce a drop of two volts in that short distance, use a little math and physics there man!!!

Guys I was an audio dealer for years, I still once in a while work in audio, so I have some basic knowledge of electronics, and I do believe that you are complicating too much what a circuit for a horn is, a horn a relay and some wires does not have too many way of getting wrong, and I can tell you for sure, and I do not want to sound selfish, that any of us could wire a horn with closed eyes. Them problem is not to do it, is that I do not want want to make this a lifetime scientific project, and do it as quickly and as simply as possible, without going any further in the process and need to do any extra work if I could use the existing circuit, of course I'm not stupid and if the case is that I can not, due to the need of going in other details the project will die right there...

Now as an example the wires used in the horn by simple inspection are the same AWG that the ones we use in the head-lights, any bulb is rated to 65 watts, some 55watts, do you really believe than any electric horn that is used for less than three seconds, will blow a wire rated over 65watts for continuous use, is the real power at the horn over 65watts, in other words is the horn able to draw 6A from the battery(???) As I said before and as I have no clue right now, I will measure it, but I do not think so...

Edited by Kanatronic

if in fact you were an audio dealer than why all the questions you would have had the relay wired and installed quicker than any post you put here. you would have seen all the shadetree idiots who wire their own cars with 4 or 0 guage with no fuse. you have been given many examples to do the mod in this post .

I have a 3 trumpet air horn system with 5 gallon tank and the ability to air up tires and use air tools on my durango when we go wheeling .

if in fact you were an audio dealer than why all the questions you would have had the relay wired and installed quicker than any post you put here. you would have seen all the shadetree idiots who wire their own cars with 4 or 0 guage with no fuse. you have been given many examples to do the mod in this post .

I have a 3 trumpet air horn system with 5 gallon tank and the ability to air up tires and use air tools on my durango when we go wheeling .

yes sir

In my FJ40 I have an air horn system and also the ability to air up tires and run basic air tools... one of the best additions

relay, wiring, air horns could have been put into action by now and would meet the needs of the OP. pretty much everyone is on the same page.

put in some air horns and video it and post up here

Securinu, sorry to be rude, but if you read my posts, I never asked any questions about the relay or how to do the wiring, please read before posting, put in drive your brain before your hands...

My questions were only about which horns are louder than the stock ones, and if someone have any experience in the Edge, what seems to be not the case of any of the posters, as none of them have any experience replacing the horns in the Edge, we do not even know what value are they rated. All experience posted have been related to other vehicles, bigger than the Edge, with different horns. I got recommnedations of air horns, and even while I agree that those may be louder, sorry guys, again, I do not want to get into air horns, easier to install or not, I do not want air horns, some guys like american cheese, some like swiss, and some like provalone, I do not like air horns, preference period, I do not feel that there is any part of this statement so hard to understand, right?

Now, I do know how to wire a horn, and which relay to use, and with AWG to use safely, simply I do not want to replace the stock circuit, too much trouble for me, I was just trying to see if the stock circuit could be used to install any aftermarket electric horn similar but louder, or maybe another set of the same horns...period...

Secirinu, I have 6 years warranty in my car, the dealer will take care of any problem if I need to, so I do not have any use for air tools in my car. On top I do have a compressor in case any flat arises, so I have no use for a compresor for the tires neither...