Break-In Procedure?

Tribby2001

Normally, you wouldn't have to do anything special, and a lot of people don't - so they assume, and may advise you, to drive it like you stole it. Most people won't have any problems, unless they go wild during the break-in.

Now if you really want to know what the Ford engineers would prefer - they would tell you to:

Very your speed for the first 1,000-2,000 miles. Don't set the speed control and take off on a 400 mile trip. You want gears to experience a wide wear pattern to avoid noise later on. If you do have to take a highway trip change the speed up as much as you can.

Avoid jack-rabbit starts. But occasionally run the vehicle up to highway speeds at 3/4 throttle and let off on the gas pedal to build up some pressure on the piston rings - this helps them seat.

Leave the factory fill oil in the vehicle for 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Always use a 5W20 or 0W20 motor oil that meets the Ford spec. Synthetic Blend or full Synthetic will do ok at normal change intervals. Don't ever go beyond the Ford maintenance intervals.

Hard stops from high speed build up a lot of heat between the brake pads and the rotors. All heavy stops should be made short of the "line" by 8 to 10 feet, so you can roll out the heat built up on the rotor and pads (don't come to a hard stop and leave the pad at the same point on the rotor - at 1,400 degrees it can transfer pad material to the rotor and create a warp like condition.)

Follow this forum for great insights and most of all -

ENJOY

Thank you so much for your advice. It is much appreciated.

I know you looked but this is on page 5 of the owner's manual:

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE

Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive

continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of

new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the

moving parts a chance to break in.

Drive your new vehicle at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before towing a

trailer. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to

Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.

Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since

these additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the

Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil

usage.

Yeah, I know. I thought since I pointed out that I knew she had already tried to find it but just overlooked it that people would understand that it wasn't a dig and that I was just trying to point it out for others and for future reference.

Poke away - I can take it.

It's no problem. I didn't read through the manual (PDF file) word for word but simply used the search feature of my browser. Apparently I used the wrong key words.

Besides, I appreciate Grey's detailed response over a dry manual any day.

Speaking of manuals, is a 2010 Service/Technical Manual available on CDrom somewhere?

Signed,

Patiently, still waiting.

"Speaking of manuals, is a 2010 Service/Technical Manual available on CDrom somewhere?"

The official source would be Helm, Inc. (Helm.com)

Alternatively, keep checking e-bay. A lot of dealerships have closed their doors in the last10 months and their resource material will sometimes wind up there.

It's no problem. I didn't read through the manual (PDF file) word for word but simply used the search feature of my browser. Apparently I used the wrong key words.

Besides, I appreciate Grey's detailed response over a dry manual any day.

Keyword search is tricky, especially with PDF files. I always check the index first and in this case it does have an entry for break-In procedure so you might want to try that next time.