ptu seals "engineering solution"

blockisle9

:wacko:

Thank you, That would be great. Id appreciate it!

Lenny

I just told the dealer that I smell burning on occasion on my 09 LTD AWD, and they sad to make a appointment next week to check it out. Also they sad the PTU seals are different in 09 from 08. I think I will wait few weeks and see what the new engineered seals are like. But I was surprised that the seals from 08 to 09 are different.

I just told the dealer that I smell burning on occasion on my 09 LTD AWD, and they sad to make a appointment next week to check it out. Also they sad the PTU seals are different in 09 from 08. I think I will wait few weeks and see what the new engineered seals are like. But I was surprised that the seals from 08 to 09 are different.

I am not sure but I think the 09 seals are the reengineered ones. Now thats not saying that your Edge didn't get the last 07-08 seal in the hopper as it came down the line either. I would say take that sucker in if your smelling the burn and at least let them take a look at it.

Thats what warenties are for LOL

GL

Let me ask you this, if you take an 08 in with 30k miles on it and they change the seals. What's the warenty after that? Still the ariginal 60k miles or somthing diferent?

Just wondering

From my experience they should count it as a repair which should come with a warrenty all it's own, but it would just cover the repair not for example the rest of the drive train

Edited by TnDEdge

I am not sure but I think the 09 seals are the reengineered ones. Now thats not saying that your Edge didn't get the last 07-08 seal in the hopper as it came down the line either. I would say take that sucker in if your smelling the burn and at least let them take a look at it.

Thats what warenties are for LOL

GL

Ye, our 09 Edge was built June 08, so it might have had the old seals installed. I only noticed the smell maybe 5 times this winter so far and only being at stop light. Also it only happens after driving on the highway for wile in higher speed. I do not see any leaks on the driveway. Hopefully they have the fix for it now... Time will tell

Ye, our 09 Edge was built June 08, so it might have had the old seals installed. I only noticed the smell maybe 5 times this winter so far and only being at stop light. Also it only happens after driving on the highway for wile in higher speed. I do not see any leaks on the driveway. Hopefully they have the fix for it now... Time will tell

From what I have read the source of the leak drips right onto the exhaust and that does sound to me like a seal failure just because of your description of when you smelled it. IE at a stop light where the drips would have a chance to land on the hot surface and at speed where the rotating shaft would be more prone to leaking

Ok I just came from my ford dealer to make an appointment for oil change. I told them about the leak, they are very aware of it and told me ford is on there 3rd re-desighn. We will see if 3 is the charm.

I am glad you have a dealer who is being straight with you hope it works for you

Let me ask you this, if you take an 08 in with 30k miles on it and they change the seals. What's the warenty after that? Still the ariginal 60k miles or somthing diferent?

Just wondering

Repairs done under warrranty do not extend the time and mileage. Customer paid repairs are usually warranted for one year or 12,000 miles.

Edited by Grey

Went to the dealer today for oil change and to to check for the leak. The told me I had the infamis ptu leak. They told me they have the third re-desighn seals and asked me if I wanted to have the repair done. I asked them how they were, and they said that this desighn has just become redally avalable and so far they did about 9 and so far none returned. I told them let's go for it. Next Wednesday there going to do the job, they said it's about a 3 hour job but still gave me a loaner. I wasn't expextig that but thanked them.

Hopfully Ford has a handle on this and we can go fowrard. If not I'll wate for the next fix. I trust Ford and am sure they will come up with a fix.

It seems most of the problems people report is with dealers, I guess I'm lucky.

I love the 2011 pictures and will get one. (Hopefully)

Edited by blockisle9

Went to the dealer today for oil change and to to check for the leak. The told me I had the infamis ptu leak. They told me they have the third re-desighn seals and asked me if I wanted to have the repair done. I asked them how they were, and they said that this desighn has just become redally avalable and so far they did about 9 and so far none returned. I told them let's go for it. Next Wednesday there going to do the job, they said it's about a 3 hour job but still gave me a loaner. I wasn't expexti g that but thanked them.

Hopfully Ford has a handle on this and we can go fowrard. If not I'll wate for the next. I trust Ford and am sure they will come up with a fix.

It seems most of the problems people report is with dealers, I guess I'm lucky.

I love the 2011 picks and will get one. (Hpefully)

I'll let you know Wed. Afternoon

Lenny

Had it done today, brought it in at 8:00 am was given a loaner to use. Got a call around 1:00pm, job completed. The dealer told me its always the right PTU seals. I had no burning smell on the way home. The part number and tsb is on the paper work, I will post it when I remember to grab it from the car.

Had it done today, brought it in at 8:00 am was given a loaner to use. Got a call around 1:00pm, job completed. The dealer told me its always the right PTU seals. I had no burning smell on the way home. The part number and tsb is on the paper work, I will post it when I remember to grab it from the car.

Got my paper work:

TSB 09-25-7

Part # 8T4Z 7275 CC

Got my paper work:

TSB 09-25-7

Part # 8T4Z 7275 CC

I had mine done today as well took 3.5 hours

quoted from the paper work, my info is a little different, but not much.

Cause: Replace Intermediate Shaft Seal as per TSB 092507A = Replace Intermediate Shaft Seal

TSB 62372 W

1 - 8T4Z*7275*DC Kit - Seal

1 - *5qMC* Mercon V Bulk

FC: L85 D8

Part# 8T4Z*7275*DC

I had mine done today as well took 3.5 hours

quoted from the paper work, my info is a little different, but not much.

Cause: Replace Intermediate Shaft Seal as per TSB 092507A = Replace Intermediate Shaft Seal

TSB 62372 W

1 - 8T4Z*7275*DC Kit - Seal

1 - *5qMC* Mercon V Bulk

FC: L85 D8

Part# 8T4Z*7275*DC

I did some searching and found the difference between the two part numbers and TSB numbers.

It seems the TSB and Part number used on mine included somthing called a (ptu cover seal),

Edited by blockisle9

• 1 month later...

Lenny, Can you shed some light on the PTU leaks. i have 2007 Edge, about 80k. Just hit this issue. Is it a quick fix or costly

Well I know is the information that was on my paper work:

TSB 09-25-7

Part # 8T4Z 7275 CC

As far as I know its only seal, so I dont think the parts are very expensive. Labor was about 3 or 31/2 hours. Thats about all I can tell you.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an '07 Edge and have been through 7 PTU seals and 1 axle so far. On the 6th replacement it was the "New" engineered seal, it only lasted 2 days and the car was back into the dealer for the burning small and leaking. They have replaced it once again with the "New" engineered seal this week but I don't have much hope that it will be the final cure. I hope you all have better luck than I have had.

I have an '07 Edge and have been through 7 PTU seals and 1 axle so far. On the 6th replacement it was the "New" engineered seal, it only lasted 2 days and the car was back into the dealer for the burning small and leaking. They have replaced it once again with the "New" engineered seal this week but I don't have much hope that it will be the final cure. I hope you all have better luck than I have had.

Mine has been good so far, replaced once with the 'new' seal. These are the parts on my receipt and below it is the explanation from k_m on what it means.

L65 C FRT AXLE SEAL LEAKING

Installed 8T4Z 7275 DC KIT-SEAL

DIAG REPLACED INTSHAFT SEAL LEAKING

Basically they replaced the seals where the half shaft [axle enters the transmission. the DC Kit-seal is a component of the PTU. So all in all your PTU and its seals were changed.

Edited by igcitng