Protective gunk on 20" wheels new from dealer

peet

Hi all, we just got our new 2010. We did a marathon buying spree on 12/31 just before the dealer was closing and actually the transaction ran 30 minutes after closing at that. All that rushing and the fact that the car was literally delivered to the dealer a week before and stored outside meant the prep was "meh" in quality.

My really only beef, as I enjoy detailing, is that the shop only "half" removed the protective plastic off the chrome plastic wheels. So now there is all the glue residue/gunk on the wheels, it's cold so it's not budging and I am afraid of leaving it there until summer when I can properly WD40 it off. Any suggestions?

TIA!

try using wd40/goo be gone and a clean cloth. Note be careful with the WD40 [if thats what you decide to use] so that you do not get it on the Rotors and Brakes.

We still have goo on ours as well, just haven't taken the initiative to get it off :banghead:

I used Goo Gone also. Took me about an hour to do all four.

Dealership should have taken care of this before delivery but I'd rather

do the cleaning up then have some porter scratch up my wheels.

A little bonding time with a microfiber towel and Goo Gone and you'll be good to go.

I used Goo Gone also. Took me about an hour to do all four.

Dealership should have taken care of this before delivery but I'd rather

do the cleaning up then have some porter scratch up my wheels.

A little bonding time with a microfiber towel and Goo Gone and you'll be good to go.

Very true. A pre-delivery dealer "cleaning" is much less than anything to be desired. When I picked up my brand new '07 F150 FX2 I think it was cleaner before they "cleaned" it and I had to properly wash it the same day I got it home. Our MKX was not much better either in fact quite dirty especially on the inside but then again it had only came in off trade the day before. They asked if they could have a day to clean it and I declined...lol...they looked at me like I was crazy. I just did it myself since I am much more picky, use only good products, and microfiber.

Edited by klc317

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

former auto detailer myself, had to deal with these on the edges quite often...

DO NOT use 3m adhesive remover or laquer thinner. the chrome will be badly damaged. ford changed the wheels for 09 so this method no longer works...

the best method is to get some car wax (paste or thick liquid) and a microfiber rag. just work at it, it will come off and wont damage the wheel.