Liftgate opening on its own

packerduf

I have a 2010 Ford Edge Limited with about 7500 miles on it. From day one, we would go out to the garage in the morning to find the lift-gate open. This happened nightly, with very few exceptions. The dealer was unaware of any such problem, and recommended we remove the key fob batteries to eliminate the possibility of a weak key fob battery sending a signal to the vehicle. I did this over a two night period, one key fob at a time - no luck there. I've searched the forum with negative results.

We have disengaged the power lift-gate via the Info Center, and as expected, it remained closed throughout the night - every night. This is frustrating because with this disengaged, you can not use any of the interior button to open the lift-gate, although you can still open it with the key fob. I have been putting off going to the dealer due to the inconvenience of doing without our vehicle.

So, this morning my wife calls me from work. Says her boss, who purchased a 2010 Ford Edge Limited a few months after we did, is having the same issue. Our problem occurred only at night while parked in the garage. Apparently his is opening during the day while he is out and about.

Anyone else having this problem? Called the dealer again this morning, and still no TSB by Ford.

Thanks

Larry

Edited by packerduf

So with it disengaged via the message center, it still opens when you press the keyfob buttons? If so that would rule out activation from an external remote and would only leave the internal button as the likely source.

Wow! You make an excellent point. If an external signal caused the lift-gate to open, it would still be opening despite disengagement via message center. That makes perfect sense, and narrows it down. Thanks for the input!

• 5 months later...

I had a simular issue only my lift gate would sometimes not close, i would press a button (remote or internal) and the gate would start to close but as soon as it got to the bottom to lock in place, it would then go back up as if something was in the way. i had to manually close it and deal with the "gate ajar" warning for a while or pop the hood to pull the power cable from the battery to reset. I also started having issues with the Shift Interlock System and not releasing the transmission out of Park. I brought my Edge in today for them to look at and they told me that the "SMART Junctiob Box" was the cuprit and has odered me a replacement, it goes in tomorrow. I will give an update to see if this has fixed the issue.

Zippy

• 7 months later...

Hello.

I know this is an old post but I was wondering how this turned out for those that were having the problem with the liftgate. My 2010 edge Limited is in the shop now for the liftgate problem.

This problem has been going on since sometime shortly after I bought it new in the spring. It's happens intermittently so I have never taken it in before. My wife called one day to say that the gate goes down but then immediately goes right back up. This happens over and over. She called Ford and they could not tell her how to get it down so they were going to tow it in. I had her close it by hand and we did not have to tow it in. Over the months it has happened again and again.

The other night my wife pulled in the garage and unloaded groceries. Then she closed the liftgate with the button and then closed the garage door. I looked in the garage later to find that the liftgate had reopened again and hit the garage door putting two 6-7 inch scratches in the liftgate down to the primer. $430.00 from the body shop...

Then a couple days later I came out of the house in the morning headed for the car in the driveway. It's raining lightly outside and what do you know - The liftgate is wide open and has been all night in the driveway.

This happens at home and away from home. It happens with the key fob and with the internal buttons. The dealer has it today but called to say he was going to keep it overnight to look it over some more. He cannot find anything wrong with it. Which is exactly why I waited to take it in. I knew that they would see anything when it wasn't happening. The car is still under warranty for a couple thousand more miles.

And last but not least p my wife was on a trip when at highway speeds she heard a "high pitched vibration" that lasted several minutes then went away. a little later it happened again for several minutes. Now my son was in the car and he was thinking that it sounded like a wheel bearing (rear, possibly drivers side). Dealer is looking at that also but says they can't find anything there either.

So anyway, there is my first post for ya... What did you expect :yup:

• 9 years later...

Hello. . Just wondering if your problem of tailgate lifting has been corrected. I have a 2016 Ford Edge  & just this last February 2020 this started for me. When I back in my carport at night & lock it periodically it opens during the night. Still under warranty & they say nothing wrong figure it is outside signal interference. Hoping someone can help with this problem. 

On 2/22/2011 at 7:06 PM, mainjet said:

Hello.

I know this is an old post but I was wondering how this turned out for those that were having the problem with the liftgate. My 2010 edge Limited is in the shop now for the liftgate problem.

This problem has been going on since sometime shortly after I bought it new in the spring. It's happens intermittently so I have never taken it in before. My wife called one day to say that the gate goes down but then immediately goes right back up. This happens over and over. She called Ford and they could not tell her how to get it down so they were going to tow it in. I had her close it by hand and we did not have to tow it in. Over the months it has happened again and again.

The other night my wife pulled in the garage and unloaded groceries. Then she closed the liftgate with the button and then closed the garage door. I looked in the garage later to find that the liftgate had reopened again and hit the garage door putting two 6-7 inch scratches in the liftgate down to the primer. $430.00 from the body shop...

Then a couple days later I came out of the house in the morning headed for the car in the driveway. It's raining lightly outside and what do you know - The liftgate is wide open and has been all night in the driveway.

This happens at home and away from home. It happens with the key fob and with the internal buttons. The dealer has it today but called to say he was going to keep it overnight to look it over some more. He cannot find anything wrong with it. Which is exactly why I waited to take it in. I knew that they would see anything when it wasn't happening. The car is still under warranty for a couple thousand more miles.

And last but not least p my wife was on a trip when at highway speeds she heard a "high pitched vibration" that lasted several minutes then went away. a little later it happened again for several minutes. Now my son was in the car and he was thinking that it sounded like a wheel bearing (rear, possibly drivers side). Dealer is looking at that also but says they can't find anything there either.

So anyway, there is my first post for ya... What did you expect :yup:

• 2 weeks later...

How old is the vehicle battery? A weak battery can cause all kinds of strange problems.

The service manual simply states that low voltage will cause the hatch module to malfunction. (Doesn't give specific examples for low voltage and there's no test for intermittent malfunctions).

Its important to test the battery with a CCA tester, NOT a simple voltage test. I use a Solar BA-7. First time I tested my battery it showed it was failing. Had a coupon at Ford for battery test and had them test it to verify I needed a new one.  They used their tester that only tested voltage and said it was fine. It failed at the supermarket three weeks later. 

Heres what use:   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015PI7A4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JaBhFb3YP2RZE

but I imagine you could get a CCA test at Auto Zone or the like.