Rear wiper motor screech

I have this intermittent "screech" coming from the wiper motor when rear wiper is activated. It is not the wiper blade, and it almost sounds like the motor windings going bad. Took it into dealer and Tech said he did not hear it......Service Mgr. said it's normal and that all wiper motors do it. I have never heard a noisy wiper motor front or rear on my or any cars I have ever been in. Service Mgr. also called me about an hour after leaving and said he heard the same noise on an '08 a '10 and then he proceeded to tell me that his Gf's Volvo does the same thing......(ford product) It is Hella annoying and by no means normal. BTW, he is replacing all 4 rims.....again for corrosion and gives me crap for a $50 wiper motor.....go figure.

For years I have wondered why they even bother with rear wipers.

They come in handy for an "On Demand" option. If you were to backup or even driving down the highway in a downpour. A couple of passes with the rear wiper and you can safely see behind you. To have them on constantly in rain is asking to kill your blade.

I had a '95 and '96 Windstar minivan that providing your front wipers were on and the vehicle put in reverse, the rear wiper would come on and make 2 passes. A very nice option I don't see on Ford vehicles anymore.

They come in handy for an "On Demand" option. If you were to backup or even driving down the highway in a downpour. A couple of passes with the rear wiper and you can safely see behind you. To have them on constantly in rain is asking to kill your blade.

I had a '95 and '96 Windstar minivan that providing your front wipers were on and the vehicle put in reverse, the rear wiper would come on and make 2 passes. A very nice option I don't see on Ford vehicles anymore.

Still not seeing it.

Still not seeing it.

Sorry if you don't get it. Guess you can't "see" why there is a right hand side mirror as well? All these things you may not "see" serve as safety enhancement features. Some required by law and others not. I personally get use out of them and makes me a safer driver.

Snowbrush. And if you know the secret to avoiding being hit from behind please let us know. I guess the guy that hit me did not see the rear wiper or things might have been different.

Kinda hard to use a snow brush when driving.

I have avoided more than one rear end collision by looking in my rearview mirror and noticing the person behind me

losing control of their car because of weather conditions. If I didnt have a clear view from use of my rear wiper I wouldnt

have been able to see them coming and pull out of the way.

The secret is pay attention to the cars around you and use your mirrors and rear wiper.

The rear wiper on my 07 MKX is pretty much silent. I think your service manager is just wrong.

Also, the point about the minimal swept area is true but it also seems to me that the rear of any SUV or van that has a more vertical shape does accumulate a lot more road grime than the rear window of a sedan so the wiper does serve a purpose. I vote to keep it.

I had a Windstar that had this feature as well. I thought it was great until I put my bike rack on the back. After the rear wiper hit the rack, it never worked right again.

The motor on the rear wiper in my wife's Edge started making the same kind of noise this weekend after we went through an automatic car wash. It was a touchless wash, so I know the wiper arm didn't get tweaked by being conacted. I'm wondering if some water got past a seal and caused some damage. I dind't get a chance to take it in yet. I'll be tkaing it in soon for the woper motor and a rattling in the door that appearded after they replaced the power mirror joystick.

I'll let you know what i find out.

The motor on the rear wiper in my wife's Edge started making the same kind of noise this weekend after we went through an automatic car wash. It was a touchless wash, so I know the wiper arm didn't get tweaked by being conacted. I'm wondering if some water got past a seal and caused some damage. I dind't get a chance to take it in yet. I'll be tkaing it in soon for the woper motor and a rattling in the door that appearded after they replaced the power mirror joystick.

I'll let you know what i find out.

Thanks PSU........I know this sound isn't normal. If it is deemed that your sound is not normal and you have the motor replaced....I have a leg to stand on when I take the Edge back to the dealer. Please let us know what you find out !!