refusing to start

annie

We have had our Edge for app. six months. During that time, it has failed to start several times. We can boost the battery and it will start (so far). We thought it was just the battery, but when we took it to the dealership, they said everything checked out, and there was no problem they could find. It is getting very frustrating to carry a battery booster for a new vehicle. It may run fine for a month, and I may drive it several miles, do my shopping or whatever, and then it refuses to start. We have had it to the dealership for the third time (it is there now). Can anyone HELP?

We have had our Edge for app. six months. During that time, it has failed to start several times. We can boost the battery and it will start (so far). We thought it was just the battery, but when we took it to the dealership, they said everything checked out, and there was no problem they could find. It is getting very frustrating to carry a battery booster for a new vehicle. It may run fine for a month, and I may drive it several miles, do my shopping or whatever, and then it refuses to start. We have had it to the dealership for the third time (it is there now). Can anyone HELP?

Do you make a lot of very short trips? If you don't drive more than 5 or 10 minutes after starting it can slowly drain the battery. Let it run longer every few days or get a trickle charger and hook it up once a week or so. Assuming there is no problem with the battery itself or the charging system.

Do you make a lot of very short trips? If you don't drive more than 5 or 10 minutes after starting it can slowly drain the battery. Let it run longer every few days or get a trickle charger and hook it up once a week or so. Assuming there is no problem with the battery itself or the charging system.

I had the same problem, the dealer checked everything and also found nothing wrong. Repeat 2 more times.

Figured I'd give it a go. Cleaned the battery terminals, wire connections and reinstalled. (They actually seemed

loose when I first took a look.) Cleaned the the top of the battery of dirt. I now check this every cople of months and

no problems since. Could be my maintenance or luck. either way the Edge starts every time now. (Knock on wood)

• 1 year later...

I have the exact same problem with out 2009 Edge Sport. It's only happened twice in the past few months and it's only when we leave the kids in the car listening to the radio with the engine off while we run into a store for a few minutes (~10minute battery drain.) A simple boost, no charging, allows the vehicle to start. Headlights, stereo, lock/unlock features all function, but attempting to start will cause the entire vehicle electronics to go haywire (CD/radio looses all of it's settings, info settings and mileage default back to factory settings.) I've checked the battery and alternator voltages and everything is fine when I get home to do so. I have noticed the battery positive terminal is very prone to corrosion/acid buildup and I cleaned it this summer when we first got this vehicle at 50,000km, and again after the first 'no start' episode and thought this was the cause. Vehicle currently has 61,00km. I coated the terminals and clamps with dielectric grease and the corrosion has not returned, but we had our second 'no start' episode last week. I don't want to buy a new battery without knowing that it is the problem.

I don't want to buy a new battery without knowing that it is the problem.

You can't go by voltage - you have to do a load test. But since yours is a 2009 I'd be a lot of money that it is the battery. It's only $100 and 15 minutes and if it doesn't fix it you still have a new battery for several years and you've ruled it out as a cause.

A few months back, my wife's '09 MKS would act up on rare occasions - slow starting as if the battery was going bad, then it would be okay for weeks - THEN, one day, it wouldn't start for squat, and got a jump from roadside assistance, and headed right to the dealer. Yes, it was the battery, the car was about 37 months old, and a new battery was installed free of charge, as Lincoln gives 4/50 bumper to bumper. If you are below 3/36, it should be covered under your warranty, and if not, for peace of mind, like akirby said, just go for the new battery, and be set for the next 3+ years.

Edited by JOEHIO