2011 sport

454gun

Im ordering a 2011 sport in about 2 weeks or when they say go . 305 hp 3.7 paddle shift. They will not offer the big engine in a Limited. I worry about the 22 inch wheels .

I am coming out of a 2001 X-5 BMW 188,000 miles I may need therapery for a few months. I think I will like it. I also found out only 2000 lbs. tow max. I would like to have the hitch come threw valance or at least cut up in it some for looks, can that be if no nchanges to rear in 2011?

I have a aluma trailer it weights 475 lbs this will help.

You cannot get the tow package on Sport. You can have a class 3 hitch so you dont deal with the small opening type.

I wonder if it will handle close to the BMW? I saw pictures on Car and Driver of it on a track looked impressive. I have had BMW's for years just decided to Change . I like the fact Ford took no money and made it.

I'm new first post.

Jon

Greetings and welcome

Depends on which X5.

3.0 or 4.4

This is just my personal impression, the 3.0 is not quick and doesn’t handle very well.

We traded an X3 for the MKX and drove a few X5’s when the X3 was being worked on.

At the time I was not impressed AT ALL with the handling of the base X5 compared to the X3.

The X5 wasn’t even in the same league as the X3.

Speaking of “being worked on” the Sport WILL BE a nice change.

I suspect you'll find the handling of the Sport just fine compared to the X5.

Let us know.

ab

[

I had the 3.0 and I paid my share of those repairs always $500.00 seemed like. I felt mine handled well it never faulted on any curve that it slipped up on. The towing was very good on the X-5. I feel the alumnum trailer will off set the low tow wt.of the sport.

I hope the hitch on the Sport looks good it was fine on the X-5.

The 22 inch wheels worry me some as to damage or if you wanted to go down a gravel rd or camp site.

Thanks

JOn

[

I had the 3.0 and I paid my share of those repairs always $500.00 seemed like. I felt mine handled well it never faulted on any curve that it slipped up on. The towing was very good on the X-5. I feel the alumnum trailer will off set the low tow wt.of the sport.

The 22 inch wheels worry me some as to damage or if you wanted to go down a gravel rd or camp site.

Thanks

JOn

I wouldn't hesitate to haul 3500lbs with your sport, it'll have a transmission cooler but will be missing the slightly larger rad and a engine oil cooler. You can monitor engine temperature easily enough, just add the class three hitch. I'm not sure if they've change the rear frame/exhaust/cowlings, but on the 2010 sport a class III needs to be spaced about 3/4" and it still pushes up on the ground effects a bit and requires some rubber grommets on the hitch because the mufflers rub slightly. I would show pics of mine but I had problems uploading files.

[

Thanks

JOn

I wouldn't hesitate to haul 3500lbs with your sport, it'll have a transmission cooler but will be missing the slightly larger rad and a engine oil cooler. You can monitor engine temperature easily enough, just add the class three hitch. I'm not sure if they've change the rear frame/exhaust/cowlings, but on the 2010 sport a class III needs to be spaced about 3/4" and it still pushes up on the ground effects a bit and requires some rubber grommets on the hitch because the mufflers rub slightly. I would show pics of mine but I had problems uploading files.

There's more to trailer towing than engine cooling. The 22in tires are probably not up for the extra load. Heavy load + low profile tires = blowouts.

Each 22" tire is rated for 2039lbs. With 8156lbs total weight limit it's more than enough to take the edges weight, it's occupants/luggage and a 350lb tongue weight. Lower profile tires with a higher speed rating run cooler than higher profile tires with a lower speed rating, that = less blowouts.

Edited by bender

Comparing an Edge to an X5...now that's rich. The X5 will kill the Edge in every aspect. I don't own an X5 but I have worked on plenty of them and there just isn't any comparison. If your looking for a vehicle to compete with the X5 you will be sorely disappointed

[

I'm ready for change . I have paid my dues on high maintance charges to keep the X-5 doing what it does.

I think the Edge sport might surprise you only the 2011 I can I speak for . Car and driver rated 8.7 out of 10 BMW X-5 Ford Edge Sport 8.2 out of 10 and that was 2010 ford edge .

I have a friend at ford corp in tech and driver he feels they have overall made big gain on foreign cars.

PLUS PRICE BMW EXTRA $14,000.00 over Ford Sport just priced one same options I have now 2011 model X-5. Ford is not trying for that market in that price range. I think if ford spent that extra money people might still buy BMW logo name. So just looking for chg , am happy Ford has made it no tarp money or Gov bail outs.

Don't get me wrong I think the Edge is a very good vehicle otherwise I wouldn't have bought one. The only reason BMW maintenance charges can get expensive is because most of the people who own them don't know where to get them serviced other than a dealership or a specialty BMW shop where they charge sky high prices. BMW parts aren't any more expensive then any other vehicle but people are willing to pay more for them. Actually I am surprised alot of times on just how inexpensive some of the replacememtn parts can be.

Any vehicle that you keep in PROPER operating condition for 180,000 + miles is going to start to cost alot of money when it comes right down to it.

What drew you to the BMW in the first place and what exactly, other than cost, is drawing you to the Edge now?

• 3 weeks later...

[ Always had BMW's after leaving Chev tahoe type. Bmw came out in 2001 with the first of ther crossover , I liked it and was impressed with 6000 lbs. towing even though I dont need that towing number.

$57,800.00 is replacement . I looked at 2011 Edge and changes and liked it . Not wild with front wheel drive vechiles but all wheel drive will miminize some of that feel and torque. I just need Change and this looked a lot like the X-5 size.

Just driving the 2010 sport used on rds I have been on I feel it is handling just as good ,it does not have that Driving feel the BMW has thats their on thing magical . I understand the 2011 is a better tuned suspsion 305 engine paddle shifters on wheel should be fun car. I'm not to worried about tow , trailer aluma brand 68 x 10 ft. 400 lbs plus motorcycle BMW adv. 1200 or Goldwing or Scagg mower thats about it.

Limited can have tow package bigger rad. etc. , inter active cruse control 20 inch wheels, that sport cant have. Sport has 305 paddle shifter set up limited cant have , Oh Well I ordered 2 a loaded limited and a loaded sport in Platium White will drive both buy ONE .

I just dont want to spend BMW money at my age and time in life , BMW great car and cant compare to Ford in lots of ways but Ford Edge 2011 and at least $17,000.00 in my bank is not all bad . I looked around at other crossovers its money like BMW on a few or I didnt like looks.