gas milage on 22 inch rims

edgeyone

It really could go either way.

The wheel is larger but weighs about the same as the 20" wheel because the 22" sport wheel is forged.

There are so many things that go in determining the gas mileage of a vehicle. I doubt anyone can give you a

correct answer without knowing variables such as driving conditions, temperatures, gas used, and driving style just to name a few. It is very possible to get better gas mileage than a prius owner if that prius owner has a lead foot.

In the end I wouldnt worry about it cause if it really was that important to you then you would have asked this question before you bought the car. Now enjoy your new Edge and post some pics. :shift:

Edited by MOFSTEEL

yeah we just purchaced a 2009 edge sport awd on 22 inch rims just wondering if the tire size effects gas millage i know the awd does a little bit

Hi edgeyone. :D As MOFSTEEL stated, you have already purchased, so just enjoy your new Edge.

However, just for educational purposes, here is an interesting test Car and Driver did concerning the entire "larger wheel effects" question: LINK: Car and Driver

While it can't take every variable into account, it gives some general "apples to apples" answers to your question.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

we had it for a couple of days now and the info display says we are averageing 20 miles to the gallon witch im sure is better than what i was getting out of our pos 07 trailblazer and i would deff trade a drop in milage for the look those 22s look great on my blue edge awd sport

we had it for a couple of days now and the info display says we are averageing 20 miles to the gallon witch im sure is better than what i was getting out of our pos 07 trailblazer and i would deff trade a drop in milage for the look those 22s look great on my blue edge awd sport

That display isnt acurate. I suggest logging your miles and divide by the number of gallons in your fill up.

yeah we just purchaced a 2009 edge sport awd on 22 inch rims just wondering if the tire size effects gas millage i know the awd does a little bit

Of course it does. This is physics in it's simplest form. If you add rotating mass and contact area the vehicle will require more power to acheive a certain speed, when this happens you use more gas. The flip side to that coin is that your brake life is also affected...more rotational mass is harder to stop therefore reducing brake life.

It really could go either way.

The wheel is larger but weighs about the same as the 20" wheel because the 22" sport wheel is forged.

There are so many things that go in determining the gas mileage of a vehicle. I doubt anyone can give you a

correct answer without knowing variables such as driving conditions, temperatures, gas used, and driving style just to name a few. It is very possible to get better gas mileage than a prius owner if that prius owner has a lead foot.

In the end I wouldnt worry about it cause if it really was that important to you then you would have asked this question before you bought the car. Now enjoy your new Edge and post some pics. :shift:

I am no pro at this but the heavier a wheel/tire combo is the more fuel it takes to get it into motion and keep it there plus the heaiver it is the longer/slower it takes to get it going and the longer it takes to stop it which may cause added brake wear, thats why all race cars use the lightest wheels and tires for that applacation.

Edited by happydog

I am no pro at this but the heavier a wheel/tire combo is the more fuel it takes to get it into motion and keep it there plus the heaiver it is the longer/slower it takes to get it going and the longer it takes to stop it which may cause added brake wear, thats why all race cars use the lightest wheels and tires for that applacation.

You might want to reread what I typed.

"The wheel is larger but weighs about the same as the 20" wheel because the 22" sport wheel is forged."

You might want to reread what I typed.

"The wheel is larger but weighs about the same as the 20" wheel because the 22" sport wheel is forged."

But that just proves the point. If the assembly is the same weight, but the wheel is forged, then it must mean that all that weight is at the outside, further away from the wheel center. That means it will require more energy to get the wheel spinning, even if it's the same weight.

But the rolling resistance difference between tires is likely to make far more difference than the weight of the wheels anyway.

But that just proves the point. If the assembly is the same weight, but the wheel is forged, then it must mean that all that weight is at the outside, further away from the wheel center. That means it will require more energy to get the wheel spinning, even if it's the same weight.

But the rolling resistance difference between tires is likely to make far more difference than the weight of the wheels anyway.

I'm going to stick with my original post because there are many factors involved.

We don't know the actual weight of both wheels or tires.

The tires may be larger but weigh less depending on the compound.

Wouldn't it be funny if the "Sport" is actually slower than the other Edge models?

I'm going to stick with my original post because there are many factors involved.

We don't know the actual weight of both wheels or tires.

The tires may be larger but weigh less depending on the compound.

Wouldn't it be funny if the "Sport" is actually slower than the other Edge models?

Hi MOFSTEEL. :D Ironically, due to the 22" wheels and tires, it is.

An interesting article concerning larger wheels and their effects in general: LINK: Car and Driver Wheel Upsizing

An interesting comparison test that includes the Edge Sport. If you read the entire test, there are sections explaining how the Edge Sport's 22" wheels negatively affected its test results: LINK: Motor Trend Test Be sure to read the "Unsprung Heroes" section on page 5 of the article.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

An interesting article concerning larger wheels and their effects in general: LINK: Car and Driver Wheel Upsizing

I know very well the affects of larger/heavier wheels. I also know that going to a larger wheel doesnt always mean it will be heavier and you'll lose acceleration/performance. For example, on my last vechicle I ran forged 19x8.5 wheels that weighed 19lbs a piece. A big change from the stock 18x8 cast 25lb wheels. The difference was definitely felt in acceleration and in the corners. So yet one more time since we don't know actual weights of the 18", 20", and 22" wheels we can't determine if the sport wheels will indeed cause a decrease in gas mileage.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

I know very well the effects of larger/heavier wheels. I also know that going to a larger wheel doesnt always mean it will be heavier and you'll lose acceleration/performance. For example, on my last vechicle I ran forged 19x8.5 wheels that weighed 19lbs a piece. A big change from the stock 18x8 cast 25lb wheels. The difference was definitely felt in acceleration and in the corners. So yet one more time since we don't know actual weights of the 18", 20", and 22" wheels we can't determine if the sport wheels will indeed cause a decrease in gas mileage.

Not sure why the attitude, as I was simply providing some interesting links for further information while taking no side in the "debate" If anyone is interested they can read the links, if not they don't have to.

As far as the effects of the larger wheels on the Sports acceleration and handling, the question was answered in the comparison test, if anyone cares to read the article (the link you accidentally left out of your quote of my reply).

Concerning the weights of the various factory wheels: They are easily obtainable online, took me about two minutes of research over 6 months ago. So if anyone is really interested in the definitive answer, as opposed to engaging in an Internet debate, take two minutes of time to do so.

Personally, other than providing the links to the information that may or may not be useful to some people, I could not care less. So everyone can carry on debating as much as they like.

Good luck.

Not sure why the attitude, as I was simply providing some interesting links for further information while taking no side in the "debate" If anyone is interested they can read the links, if not they don't have to.

As far as the effects of the larger wheels on the Sports acceleration and handling, the question was answered in the comparison test, if anyone cares to read the article (the link you accidentally left out of your quote of my reply).

Concerning the weights of the various factory wheels: They are easily obtainable online, took me about two minutes of research over 6 months ago. So if anyone is really interested in the definitive answer, as opposed to engaging in an Internet debate, take two minutes of time to do so.

Personally, other than providing the links to the information that may or may not be useful to some people, I could not care less. So everyone can carry on debating as much as they like.

Good luck.

No attitude at all. Just making it clear that there are many factors that people seem to miss.

I didnt accidently leave out the link. I was addressing what I had quoted in my post.

The link itself (page 5) compares 3 different wheels sizes on 3 different vehicles.

To know the true affects one must compare the 18", 20", and 22" Edge wheels. I'm sure you know this.

I've looked for their weights in the past but don't recall finding weights for all three wheel sizes with tires and TPMS if available.

Just trying to say the outcome may not be as obvious as it seems.

No attitude at all. Just making it clear that there are many factors that people seem to miss.

I didnt accidently leave out the link. I was addressing what I had quoted in my post.

The link itself (page 5) compares 3 different wheels sizes on 3 different vehicles.

To know the true affects one must compare the 18", 20", and 22" Edge wheels. I'm sure you know this.

I've looked for their weights in the past but don't recall finding weights for all three wheel sizes with tires and TPMS if available.

Just trying to say the outcome may not be as obvious as it seems.

Hi MOFSTEEL. As I stated before, I am not even taking a side in this "debate". And of course I am also well aware of the variables you mention.

However, as I previously stated, for those truly interested in learning, the factory wheel weights are available with a little research (took me approximately two minutes). In fact, the 22" Edge Sport specs, both wheel and tire, are listed in one of the articles I linked to.

And to continue my wish not to take sides, I am not even going to list the factory wheel weights, as doing a little research once in a while is good exercise for the brain (for all of us, me included).

I was simply trying to present some interesting information concerning the entire wheel tire upsizing question. While it may not have been interesting or helpful to you, it may help someone else.

So with that, I am tapping out of this discussion, as I already know the answer in this particular case.

No hard feelings and good luck. :beerchug:

Hi MOFSTEEL. As I stated before, I am not even taking a side in this "debate". And of course I am also well aware of the variables you mention.

However, as I previously stated, for those truly interested in learning, the factory wheel weights are available with a little research (took me approximately two minutes). In fact, the 22" Edge Sport specs, both wheel and tire, are listed in one of the articles I linked to.

And to continue my wish not to take sides, I am not even going to list the factory wheel weights, as doing a little research once in a while is good exercise for the brain (for all of us, me included).

I was simply trying to present some interesting information concerning the entire wheel tire upsizing question. While it may not have been interesting or helpful to you, it may help someone else.

So with that, I am tapping out of this discussion, as I already know the answer in this particular case.

No hard feelings and good luck. :beerchug:

...and you said I had an attitude?

Next time you try to bring helpful information into a discussion make sure you dont quote and single out one individual.

So tell us the 18", 20", and 22" wheel/tire weight of the Ford Edge Mr. Grand Poobah of search.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

...and you said I had an attitude?

Next time you try to bring helpful information into a discussion make sure you dont quote and single out one individual.

So tell us the 18", 20", and 22" wheel/tire weight of the Ford Edge Mr. Grand Poobah of search.

First, I already provided some of the information, but you either did not read it or did not read it carefully. I assist those who really wish to learn the correct information, and I don't think that is the case here. It would be better if you did the research yourself, as the sarcasm makes it obvious that you will not take anyone's word for it anyway. This is simple research for those interested in learning the correct specs.

Next, I took no side and did not even contradict anything you stated, so there is no attitude in my replies. I was simply addressing your question of "Wouldn't it be funny if the "Sport" is actually slower than the other Edge models?". I was only pointing out that it is already documented as being slower because in this case the wheels are heavier and larger diameter (The Laws of Physics state that both variables, weight and diameter, matter).

In other words, I did not "single you out" (your words) to contradict or correct you, only to answer the question you asked: "Wouldn't it be funny if the "Sport" is actually slower than the other Edge models?".

So you were not quoted to be corrected, only to answer your question. I fact, in past threads I have mentioned your name to corroborate things that you stated/posted. In this case, I only answered your specific question. I can not make it any clearer.

So if you read everything again, carefully, you will see that you are looking for an argument from someone who was not even arguing with you. I only answered your question.

So plainly put, you are misunderstanding the reason for my replies, as your unnecessary sarcasm clearly shows.

There is no need to pick fights with someone who meant no harm and was only trying to be helpful. If you didn't like my links, ignore them or write to the magazines and give them grief.

Edited by bbf2530

First, I already provided some of the information, but you either did not read it or did not read it carefully. I assist those who really wish to learn the correct information, and I don't think that is the case here. It would be better if you did the research yourself, as the sarcasm makes it obvious that you will not take anyone's word for it anyway. This is simple research for those interested in learning the correct specs.

Next, I took no side and did not even contradict anything you stated, so there is no attitude in my replies. I was simply addressing your question of "Wouldn't it be funny if the "Sport" is actually slower than the other Edge models?". I was only pointing out that it is already documented as being slower because in this case the wheels are heavier and larger diameter (The Laws of Physics state that both variables, weight and diameter, matter).

In other words, I did not "single you out" (your words) to contradict or correct you, only to answer the question you asked: "Wouldn't it be funny if the "Sport" is actually slower than the other Edge models?".

So you were not quoted to be corrected, only to answer your question.

So if you read everything again, carefully, you will see that you are looking for an argument from someone who was not even arguing with you. I only answered your question.

So plainly put, you are misunderstanding the reason for my replies, as your unnecessary sarcasm clearly shows.

1. The info you provided was ONLY of the Edge Sport 22" wheels.

2. I NEVER said you took a side I just stated that you shouldnt have singled me out when listing the sites.

3. The Sport was compared to other makes/models with smaller wheels and NOT another Edge with smaller wheels.

4. You quoted me. That means you singled ME out.

5. So if YOU read everything again you would have seen I CLEARLY stated that I knew what variables needed to be considered and there was no need to single me out and continue your ridiculous rant.

6. Lastly, post the weights of the all the Edge wheel/tire combos that you cleam to have found previously with a simple search.

AGAIN, before you repeat yourself, we all saw what the Sport 22" wheel/tire combo weighs. Now lets move on the numbers.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

1. The info you provided was ONLY of the Edge Sport 22" wheels.

2. I NEVER said you took a side I just stated that you shouldnt have singled me out when listing the sites.

3. The Sport was compared to other makes/models with smaller wheels and NOT another Edge with smaller wheels.

4. You quoted me. That means you singled ME out.

5. So if YOU read everything again you would have seen I CLEARLY stated that I knew what variables needed to be considered and there was no need to single me out and continue your ridiculous rant.

6. Lastly, post the weights of the all the Edge wheel/tire combos that you cleam to have found previously with a simple search.

AGAIN, before you repeat yourself, we all saw what the Sport 22" wheel/tire combo weighs. Now lets move on the numbers.

EDITED to add this observation and offer - I can't believe this is all because I quoted you when I answered the question you asked in post #13 (Wouldn't it be funny if the "Sport" is actually slower than the other Edge models?)? You were quoted because your post had the question in it. If I wasn't answering your direct question, there would have been no need to quote you. No question, no quote. Am I being repetitive? Yes, because no matter how many times I say it, it has not yet sunk in. Sheesh, don't look for insults when they are not there. If you like I will remove the quote, then you can remove your subsequent replies, I will too and we can both move on. A nice equitable solution. Until you let me know that answer to that offer, first go back to the first page of this thread and look at posts # 2 and 3. I had completely forgotten that I had previously posted the Car and Driver link. Ironically, you had no problem with the link when I clearly stated that I was agreeing with you. Now that you have mistakenly thought I was disagreeing with you (or "singling you out" in your words) the link is a major problem (among other manufactured "problems" it seems). I don't even necessarily disagree with you concerning some of the things you said about wheels, so I still don't understand what the problem was in the first place.

Again, you are attempting to argue with someone who really doesn't even disagree with you over anything in particular, and has clearly stated so. So your moral outrage over being "singled out" (which I already stated was not my intent) is rather disingenuous. Again, I quoted you to answer the specific question you asked. To refresh your memory, your question was "Wouldn't it be funny if the "Sport" is actually slower than the other Edge models?".

Bottom line: Jeez, if I was "singling you out", I would just tell you so. But that was not my intent. Can't explain it any clearer. And since three of your six points all boil down to being "singled out", That takes care of most of the "disagreement".

Concerning "spoon-feeding" the wheel information to you at this point: Part of providing accurate information includes doing research on your own. That means performing the research whether it proves or disproves what you may believe, not ordering others to provide the information or do the research for you. I don't believe that spoon-feeding you answers will be helpful, so I will not.

To this point, I have treated you with much more courtesy than you have me. So before you repeat yourself, you do some research, since even in your best case scenario (where you will imply that I may not know the answer), you definitely don't know the answer either. And to predict the next step, give it a second thought before you attempt to "turn the tables" by making silly statements such as "Oh, so this means you don't know the answers". It would be a ridiculous strategy.

Again, I was not even contradicting you, only answering the question you specifically asked: "Wouldn't it be funny if the "Sport" is actually slower than the other Edge models?".

You are angling for a debate. I could not care less about debating this subject. The answers are easy to find, so since you don't believe others anyway. do the research for yourself.

I see no point in continuing this argument over nothing. I had not been insulting or sarcastic to you in any of those replies, I was trying to be helpful and answer your question. It is not my fault that it now seems that you were asking a rhetorical question which you did not want answered.and therefore did not appreciate my answer. So don't make more of it than it was.

And if you stop trying to bring up tangential issues that were never part of the discussion in the first place, I will not need to address them and the "rant" can stop on both sides.

If you will simply carefully read what I am saying, you will see that you are arguing over nothing.

Edited by bbf2530

Just as I thought. More babbling and no info. :violin:

I guess being a keyboard warrior is more important than facts.

My prediction is more underlining, bold, and qouting is on the way.

So much for my offer to end the non-debate. I tried.

I am not interested in arguing with you. The information is out there for the picking if you wish to learn. You are free to do your own research and present any "facts" that you feel are missing, since you question others but have not presented one factual piece of data yourself. I will not spoon-feed you. Can't make that any clearer.

In addition, our past posts and records of providing factual information speak for themselves and are here for everyone else to see. I will leave it to others to decide who was the argumentative one.

Speaking of "keyboard warriors", I have also asked the Moderators to keep a close eye on your posts from now on, since this is only the latest of many abusive and argumentative posts you have foisted on all of us.

Edited by bbf2530