Solved: High-Pitched Whine Noise from Fuel Pump

murphye

Problem:

I have a 2009 Ford Edge Sport which I purchased in March (new leftover model). Not long after I brought it home, I noticed a high-pitched whine coming from the rear of the vehicle. From this forum, I learned that it was likely the fuel pump causing the problem.

After speaking with the service people at Sun State Ford, they said this was a common issue with Edges, and is considered "normal". This is the frustrating answer that many people get about this problem. I do believe that there are a LOT of Edges out there with this issue.

However, my fuel pump was much noisier when the vehicle was cold (not running for several hours). I could clearly hear it inside the vehicle and outside the vehicle I could hear it standing 20+ feet away! The noise would lessen significantly after running for 20 minutes.

Solution:

I left the vehicle with the service department overnight, and they were able to verify the next morning that the noise was abnormal compared to other Edges. At that point, they were willing to put in another fuel pump.

As of this morning, I can verify that the problem is definitely resolved by a new fuel pump. I started up the vehicle and I am unable to hear anything inside, and if I am outside I can hear a very faint high pitched whine that is hardly noticeable over the engine noise. I am very happy with this result and consider it acceptable. Last night when I drove the Edge home, I could not hear anything when outside the vehicle, so it leads me to believe that the noise completely disappears when it warms up.

Recommendation:

If you are having a similar problem, test it to see if the noise is worse after the Edge/MKX has been shut off for several hours. If it is, leave the vehicle at the dealer for them to test it the next morning.

I believe that there is a good chance that if you have this problem, a replacement fuel pump may fix the issue, assuming the replacement fuel pump is not also defective. Keep pressing them on the issue and get a new fuel pump put in. Don't live with it because no vehicle should be making an irritating high-pitched noise!

Good luck,

Eric

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 years later...

I bought a new 2021 Edge with a similar whining sound on the engine.  The dealer is telling me it is a known issue, but the say it is the high pressure oil pump? Your thoughts?  It is the 4cyl Ecco boost engine.  

I am working with them and Ford corporate to get resolved.   Do you think it is the oil pump or fuel pump and do you have an opinion to resolve.  Will simply replacing the part resolve the issue.  I seem to have all the symptoms you had. Thanks 

John

I don't have an answer for you but I do have a suggestion as far as the forum goes.  You revived an almost 12 year old post that has "solved" in the title.  Probably not going to get many looks plus you are talking about a noise in the engine area, the original post was the back of the vehicle and a 2009 model year is completely different than a 2021.  They didn't even a have a 4 cylinder ecoboost in 2009.  I would suggest starting a new post, probably going to get more views an answers.

• Like 4

You said the dealer found the issue to be the oil pump. Your 2021 is still under warranty and Ford will repair. Let them fix it and see if there are any other problems after the repair. These engine  certified technicians know what they're doing, what to look for and how to repair. If its a known problem, they know what to do. 

(P.S. the fun wasn't being directed towards you. Just having some fun to keep things light).

• Like 1