Chrome Clad Wheels & Non-shifting trans.

I'm looking at the 2010 Edge. Wish I could hold out for 2011 but my lease expires end of this month so I have to do something. I was hoping to get an SEL but without the so-called chrome clad wheels which look like plastic to me. What is underneath those covers? Is there an alloy wheel beneath that could be polished.

Also, my other concern with Edge, in general, is the transmission that has no sport mode or way to get to another gear manually. I live in California and drive over a relatively long grade every day to work. For years I have always had a car that I could kick down into the next lower gear to keep the revs up and stay with traffic. I was considering the Sport model with tighter suspension and bigger wheels but it seems like the inability to use the gears a little would make that option much less attractive.

The Edge is my first choice in appearance but these things concern me. Any comments from owners would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Unfortunately, you can't take the cladding off the wheels. And, not only do they look like plastic, they feel like it too. I can't convince my wife to buy new wheels, and I'm kicking myself for not taking the dealer up on his offer to switch them out for a different wheel on the lot that fit...the MKX have an 18" wheel that looks just like the Edge painted-silver 17" that I would have gotten. I don't really dig 20" wheels for the replacement tire cost, so 18's would have been as much as I wanted. Maybe the dealer will make a similar offer if you ask.

As far as your incline goes, test drive one up that incline and you'll see that the Edge has plenty of transmission to deal with that, and you can force a downshift the same as you would to pass if you need to.

I'm looking at the 2010 Edge. Wish I could hold out for 2011 but my lease expires end of this month so I have to do something. I was hoping to get an SEL but without the so-called chrome clad wheels which look like plastic to me. What is underneath those covers? Is there an alloy wheel beneath that could be polished.

Also, my other concern with Edge, in general, is the transmission that has no sport mode or way to get to another gear manually. I live in California and drive over a relatively long grade every day to work. For years I have always had a car that I could kick down into the next lower gear to keep the revs up and stay with traffic. I was considering the Sport model with tighter suspension and bigger wheels but it seems like the inability to use the gears a little would make that option much less attractive.

The Edge is my first choice in appearance but these things concern me. Any comments from owners would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

If your current lease is with Ford they will usually extend it for a few months until the 2011s come in.

Thanks for the responses. Regarding the wheels, I heard from a Ford mechanic that they get complaints about those wheels making noise - sort of a hum. Another reason I may do as suggested and see if I can get some different wheels.

Unfortunately I'm not currently leasing a Ford but could probably extend the lease on my VW Touareg but that car, as much as I will miss it, is waaaaay expensive to maintain. If I have to put another set of tires on or brakes (both possiblities) the cost would probably be 3 mos. payments on an Edge.

• 3 weeks later...

Bill

I've driven an SEL FWD for 2 years and have never had a problem with pulling grades, hills, etc.. I disengage the 'over-drive' when pulling steeper grades to downshift which gives more RPMs and quicker acceleration. Ford seems to have done well on the auto trans gear ratios and overdrive in/out button. I have 18 in chrome clad wheels and get a lot of compliments on them......never thought about removing them so I['m not sure about the stock rims' appearance.

• 1 month later...

The chrome clad wheels are nothing more than a permanent plastic hubcap mounted over an aluminum wheel. The aluminum wheel underneath is unfinished, so even though you could remove the plastic cover, you would not want to. They look terrible underneath. Our 2008 had the 20" chrome clad wheels, and they held up extremely well. In my opinion, the chrome-plated plastic cover is just as durable as a painted wheel, if not more durable. When we traded last week, we chose another Limited with 20" wheels. My only complaint is that they do make a slight "clicking" noise when rolling slow. This "clicking" cannot be heard in the car. It is just noticeable when the car rolls slowly past, like in a driveway.

I'll add my $0.02 and real life experience with Ford's "Chrome Clad" wheels.

My previous truck (2001 F150 Supercrew Lariat) had the Ford factory "chrome clad" wheels.

I drove the truck for over 8 years and put over 160,000 miles on the truck. Here is a "for sale" pic of the truck with the "chrome clad" wheels at the time of the sale. The wheels held up pretty good for 8 years/160,000 miles and 4 sets of tires. I had one small "tear" in the cladding from something I hit on one of the roads at the deer lease. Otherwise, they looked about the same as the day I drove it off the lot new.

No complaints here.

I would expect the "chrome clad" wheels on the Edge to hold up as well...

6_30_06_10_8_38_48.jpg