Check Engine light

forbes

do you have navi? can you run the health check feature and have it email you the results?

That feature is a generic "idiot gauge" feature. It absolutely does not "communicate" with your individual vehicle. That garbage is useless. HOw great would it be if it could actually monitor your vehicle based on vin number and actually "know" your check engine light was triggered and tell you why it was triggered. Anywho, you are still under warranty so take it in for service.

That feature is a generic "idiot gauge" feature. It absolutely does not "communicate" with your individual vehicle. That garbage is useless. HOw great would it be if it could actually monitor your vehicle based on vin number and actually "know" your check engine light was triggered and tell you why it was triggered.

But it DOES communicate with the vehicle and check stored codes and translate them for you. Maybe you should do some research before calling things "useless garbage".

But it DOES communicate with the vehicle and check stored codes and translate them for you. Maybe you should do some research before calling things "useless garbage".

Ford charges $100 just to plug their scanner into the port under your dash to tell you why the "check engine light" is on. Now it's free......? you work on these cars, you of all people should know damn well that the vehicle health report is garbage. I run them and half the time I never receive it via e-mail. When I do receive it, it tells you nothing useful. I had my check engine light on due to a faulty cam positon sensor and it would not idle and stall out......but the vehicle health report stated that everything was fine......yeah, it really "translated stored codes" Do your research douchebag.

easy tiger

if you know so much, why didn't you just go to a Pep Boys or Kragen then and borrow their scanner - FOR FREE - and get the codes, do your research on the codes, and be done with it.

I agree that the health report can be weak and contradictory at best, BUT it might clue you in and you can run it for free - if your car has the function - so why wouldn't you. The OP asked & was answered, not you.

Ford charges $100 just to plug their scanner into the port under your dash to tell you why the "check engine light" is on. Now it's free......? you work on these cars, you of all people should know damn well that the vehicle health report is garbage. I run them and half the time I never receive it via e-mail. When I do receive it, it tells you nothing useful. I had my check engine light on due to a faulty cam positon sensor and it would not idle and stall out......but the vehicle health report stated that everything was fine......yeah, it really "translated stored codes" Do your research douchebag.

First, I don't work on these cars (except my own occasionally). Doesn't sound like YOUR VHR is working properly so take it in and get it fixed.

As Lex stated - you can get the codes read for free at most auto parts stores and it is still my understanding that a VHR will read stored PCM codes and translate them for you in the report. That doesn't mean it will DIAGNOSE the problem - any more than the auto parts store or some web site can diagnose it just from the stored code.

The check engine light came on today on my 2008 MKX, only 24,000 on the odometer. It is running fine, no apparent misfires or flaws.

Any ideas will be helpful.

Thanks, Alan

Took the vehicle in to my local Ford/Lincoln dealer. They phoned me later in the day to say that it coded for a bad cam position sensor. It will take them about three days to repair as they have to tear down the front of the engine to the timing chains to get to the sensor. I'll let you know more details when I get it back.

Thanks for the responses.

Alan

Edited by forbes

Took the vehicle in to my local Ford/Lincoln dealer. They phoned me later in the day to say that it coded for a bad cam position sensor. It will take them about three days to repair as they have to tear down the front of the engine to the timing chains to get to the sensor. I'll let you know more details when I get it back.

Thanks for the responses.

Alan

Just got the vehicle back from the dealer.

They replaced the variable camshaft tensioner phasers,as per a TSB (9-13-10)

They said that if the MKX was not under warranty that the cost would have been over $2000.

• 6 months later...

Just got my 2008 Edge SEL AWD diagnosed with the same issue "camshaft position phaser".

The dealer told me that the parts are on back order but that I can drive the car as it is safe. When the parts come in am I going to have to give up my car for 3 days to repair it? I have just over 18K miles on it.

Is it safe to drive the car as is until they fix it?