Oil Change intervals

1duFos

Just bought a new 2010 Edge, The maintainable schedule for oil changes shows the first change at 8,000KM or 5000 miles, no mention of a time, months. I do about 8,000KM in 6 months, should I change it by time, months or stick to the 8,000KM intervals as per the schedule.

Thanks

Ron

Just bought a new 2010 Edge, The maintainable schedule for oil changes shows the first change at 8,000KM or 5000 miles, no mention of a time, months. I do about 8,000KM in 6 months, should I change it by time, months or stick to the 8,000KM intervals as per the schedule.

Thanks

Ron

Wow - you are correct. No mention of time, just mileage. Personally, I'd change it every 6 months or 5,000 miles just to be safe.

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron. :D The OCI (Oil Change Interval) is still 6 months/or x,xxx miles. If you look closer in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide you will find the 6 month interval mentioned.

Even in the event there is a misprint/omission and the Scheduled Maintenance Guide fails to mention the 6 month interval at all, the OCI is still 6 months/x,xxx miles, whichever comes first.

Unfortunately, it is confusing that it is specified/mentioned in some areas and not others. However, as akirby stated, the time limit is still 6 months.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Ron. :D The OCI (Oil Change Interval) is still 6 months/or x,xxx miles. If you look closer in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide you will find the 6 month interval mentioned.

Even in the event there is a misprint/omission and the Scheduled Maintenance Guide fails to mention the 6 month interval at all, the OCI is still 6 months/x,xxx miles, whichever comes first.

Unfortunately, it is confusing that it is specified/mentioned in some areas and not others. However, as akirby stated, the time limit is still 6 months.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

read the information Guide for Maintenance booklet and sure enough there it was on page 22, can't believe I missed it.

6 months or 8,000KM (5,000 Miles) what ever comes first. Has anybody done their first oil change sooner than 6 months or 8,000KM for reasons of possible metal still in the engine?

Edited by 1duFos

• 3 weeks later...

My salesman said for the first time oil change it might be 3000 miles if I really want to, no less than 3000 miles otherwise might just waste money. But he also said do the first oil change at 5000 miles should be just fine.

I may be a bit weird, but I did the first oil change on the Edge with approx. 100 miles on it (I've done this with all my new cars)..my concern is that they may have been some stuff in the oil (metal shavings/dirt from assembly...) when the engine was built, and really didn't want to rely on the filter to capture it. I know, this is a bit extreme...but for the few bucks to do the oil change (and changing the oil on the Edge is ever-so easy once you get the correct frigg'n filter), I think it's cheap insurance.

As for the oil change interval, I personally think 3 months/3000 miles is a good limit...again, cheap insurance, and easy to do (As you may guess, mine may be done a bit more often).

OK...ready to hear from the 'why would you change the oil after 100 miles while Ford does not recommend it...it's a waste of money to change it so often' crowd. :shades:

OK...ready to hear from the 'why would you change the oil after 100 miles while Ford does not recommend it...it's a waste of money to change it so often' crowd. :shades:

It is a waste of money and perfectly good oil. It won't hurt anything on the Edge but be aware that some vehicles may come with a special break-in oil or special additives that need to be left in for some period of time so make sure you check the owner's manual before doing this on a new vehicle.

Engines don't burn oil like they used to and they don't have "metal shavings" from the factory any more. Ford factory oil is a synthetic blend and changing oil 2.5 times more often than recommended is just wasting good oil (forget about the cost).

When I bought mine I got free oil changes for two years with it. Have to do it every 5k or so to get the freebies. Last year I went over and the service manager jumped all over me. The onboard system tells me to go at 7500. So every 5k is a good way to go? I drive about 1000 miles or less a month.

I just changed the oil on my Edge yesterday for the first time at 10300 miles. (Less than 7 months old)

The dealer gave me one freebee which I got done at 7500.

I changed over to Mobil 1 fully syn and even though I realize changing it out every 3k is an overkill with synthetic

its not breaking the bank at $21/ 5 quarts. Another quart cost me 6.40 and I can split that between 2 oil changes.

Ford mechnic told me to not go fully synthetic until after 9-10k miles to make sure everything seats properly.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

My understanding of all newer cars is that 5k is the new 3k for oil changes.

5K seems to be the minimum with some going to 7500, 10K or even higher with full synthetic.

That won't stop the dealers from putting 3K stickers on your windshields (drives me nuts).

The Ford mechanic also recommended Amsoil and said he changes the oil in his car every 20k miles.

The oil Ford had put in looked black after just 3k miles so I dont think twice about $25 fully synthetic oil change every 3k.

You can call it piece of mind.

On the other hand my Audi took 9.5 quarts of fully synthetic so I changed it every 5k miles.

It is a waste of money and perfectly good oil. It won't hurt anything on the Edge but be aware that some vehicles may come with a special break-in oil or special additives that need to be left in for some period of time so make sure you check the owner's manual before doing this on a new vehicle.

Engines don't burn oil like they used to and they don't have "metal shavings" from the factory any more. Ford factory oil is a synthetic blend and changing oil 2.5 times more often than recommended is just wasting good oil (forget about the cost).

If Ford does use a special break in oil or additive or a synthetic blend they should say so. Whats the secret?

But you brought up good points for discussion?

Edited by 1duFos

If Ford does use a special break in oil or additive or a synthetic blend they should say so. Whats the secret?

But you brought up good points for discussion?

I do not believe Ford use a 'special' break-in oil...just plain ol' 5W20. As for the interval, to each his own. Yes, I probably do go a bit overboard (admittedly), but in my way of thinking...just cheap insurance.

On a related note...I do pre-fill the oil filter before installing it. I've never seen anybody at a dealership do this, and do think it is important; oil gets to the engine/moving parts quicker as the filter already has oil in it...

Good luck...

Or you could call it peace of mind like everyone else.

Seriously though - you might want to get the oil checked if it looked that bad after 3k unless you've been running high rpm or high temps.

I prefer "Piece of Mind". :rockon:

Iron_Maiden_-_Piece_Of_Mind.jpg

Its been unusually hot and humid here in the Chicago area.

My gfs car has the same issue.

I'm not worried about it. :shift:

• Like 1

I wasn't referring to Fords or any specific vehicle. Just making everyone aware that IF the mfr uses one then you definitely don't want to change the oil too soon.

My statement wasn't addressed towards you.

As you can see I quoted "Goldy".

I agree with what you said.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

I do not believe Ford use a 'special' break-in oil...just plain ol' 5W20. As for the interval, to each his own. Yes, I probably do go a bit overboard (admittedly), but in my way of thinking...just cheap insurance.

On a related note...I do pre-fill the oil filter before installing it. I've never seen anybody at a dealership do this, and do think it is important; oil gets to the engine/moving parts quicker as the filter already has oil in it...

Good luck...

I pre fill my oil filters also except for ones that are installed horizontally, but I can get some oil in it and quickly install it hoping not to lose too much oil. the link is a oil change procedure, bottom of step #5 touches on filling the filter before installing. The video says to change the oil when the car has cooled down, I don't I change it when its hot, drains faster and more complete, I use very thick rubber gloves so as not to get burned.

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Oil-in-Your-Car

Edited by 1duFos

I pre fill my oil filters also except for ones that are installed horizontally, but I can get some oil in it and quickly install it hoping not to lose too much oil. the link is a oil change procedure, bottom of step #5 touches on filling the filter before installing. The video says to change the oil when the car has cooled down, I don't I change it when its hot, drains faster and more complete, I use very thick rubber gloves so as not to get burned.

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Oil-in-Your-Car

Regarding the prefill of the oil filter when changing, yes...same here...I try not to fill it too much when it doesn't sit totally vertical. In the Edge (2009, FL500 S filter), it doesn't sit 100% vertical, but not too far off. I fill the filter w/ oil...let it sit. every 2-3 minutes there after, fill it to just under the threaded part of the filter (the part which attaches to the filter to the engine). When the oil level in the filter stops dropping (meaning the filter media is saturated w/ oil), I stop and install the filter. Doing it this way, I feel I get as much oil in the filter as I can without spilling it (yes, I do install the filter as quickly as I can to loose/spill as little oil as possible...more often than not, none).

This is one of the reasons why I like to change the oil on my own; I know good and well the service techs do not do this, and I am a believer it's better for the engine.

Again, just my thoughts.

Good luck.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

5K seems to be the minimum with some going to 7500, 10K or even higher with full synthetic.

That won't stop the dealers from putting 3K stickers on your windshields (drives me nuts).

Been using full Castrol Synthetic for several years now thru several Taurus, then Escape and now 2010 Edge. My Ford Dealer in canada recommended 8000+ kms between changes unsure.gif not sure if its too early!!