Fuel Fill Up Problem

1duFos

Owner of a new 2010 SEL FWD. On my first fill up I noticed while filling the pump would shut off early. Looking how many kilometers I had driven that with the amount of fuel I put in didn't make sense. It cut out at 35 liters but I was sure it should take more so I slowly started the pump and only to have the pump shut off again. I eventually went from 35 liters to 50 before I gave up, stopping and starting, no fuel spilled out, even pulled the nozzle out a bit to allow air to escape. I have been to 2 different stations and used different pumps only to find no difference, pump shuts off early. Has anybody noticed this with their Edge? slow fill up? cutting out early? With my previous cars I never had this problem.

Did a search couldn't find anything. Found this on Edmunds

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.f14f099/0

Owner of a new 2010 SEL FWD. On my first fill up I noticed while filling the pump would shut off early. Looking how many kilometers I had driven that with the amount of fuel I put in didn't make sense. It cut out at 35 liters but I was sure it should take more so I slowly started the pump and only to have the pump shut off again. I eventually went from 35 liters to 50 before I gave up, stopping and starting, no fuel spilled out, even pulled the nozzle out a bit to allow air to escape. I have been to 2 different stations and used different pumps only to find no difference, pump shuts off early. Has anybody noticed this with their Edge? slow fill up? cutting out early? With my previous cars I never had this problem.

Did a search couldn't find anything. Found this on Edmunds

http://townhall-talk...?14@@.f14f099/0

I have the same problem with my 09. I fill up with the dispenser on the first notch, when it clicks off it still takes about 3 gallons to fill it up. The last 3 gallons or so have to be done verrrrry slowly.

Hi all, hope you are having a good day. I did some research and it looks like topping up your fuel tank is a no no. Here is just one article of many. http://www.jpsalestraining.com/topping_off.htm

This isn't topping off/up. I have the same problem with my '05 Escape at certain gas stations. It could be close to empty and after only putting in a gallon or two it will shut off. I start adding and it shuts off again within a gallon or two. It may shut off a half dozen times before it's full. Sometimes I give up, just put in a few gallons and go somewhere else that is on my way.

I have the same problem with my 09. I fill up with the dispenser on the first notch, when it clicks off it still takes about 3 gallons to fill it up. The last 3 gallons or so have to be done verrrrry slowly.

I have the same problem with my 2010 Edge Limited. I can still add abouit 3 more gallons slowly after the nozzle has clicked off. Is it OK to do this??? Should I have the car serviced???

• 1 year later...

Well just experienced the same problem on my 2010 Edge SEL. At the beginning I was going to deal with it, but when it happened three times in a row took it to dealer. They couldn’t find any problems with evaporator system or indication, so they contacted Fleet engineer. Respond was to replace fueling pipe and see if it helps. The vehicle was over dealer for almost a week, (they gave me a loaner) just waiting for part from Canada. Took them about two hours to replace it. Fuel it to full, so far no problem, will update at next fueling.

• 4 months later...