2010 Ford Edge rear speaker noise

probe

~

Bought a 2010 Ford Edge Limited Edition for my wife in March this year. We immediately started hearing a humming noise which nearly sounded like a motor running. We isolated it down to the rear speaker near the tailgate(on the passenger side). If the radio is on FM or statelite it makes a low disturbing noise. Took it to the dealer and they said it is a known problem reported by Ford and (can you believe this?) , they said I have to live with it. They cannot correct it!

Has anyone else encountered this same problem? I haven't seen a thread on this in any discussion.

• 1 month later...

~

Bought a 2010 Ford Edge Limited Edition for my wife in March this year. We immediately started hearing a humming noise which nearly sounded like a motor running. We isolated it down to the rear speaker near the tailgate(on the passenger side). If the radio is on FM or statelite it makes a low disturbing noise. Took it to the dealer and they said it is a known problem reported by Ford and (can you believe this?) , they said I have to live with it. They cannot correct it!

Has anyone else encountered this same problem? I haven't seen a thread on this in any discussion.

The exact same problem is posted by JohnLad and dbuettner. We should be corresponding via email or something. There is a problem here that we all have and it should be resolved. I will be checking if you can correspond via email through this site. Do you know if that is possible.

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem, its a real shame for the pre '11 edges.

I just couldn't live with it and the dealer replaced deck/amp/sub before telling me its a known problem and for me to see it for myself on the edge's parked in their lot.

I took out the amp and run my own power wire from the battery.

Noise is gone and it sounds good.

Assuming it is the same noise I hear, I reported it to my dealer who contacted Ford and was told it was because they (Ford) had been forced to put a cooling fan into the amp and that what I was hearing was the cooling fan.

hahaha hmmm wow... the amp is so small that it almost imposible for any fan to fit inside.

Not sure about your sub, but mine emited an electrical interference noise. Especially noticable when using the sync phone option.

I was also able to get rid of this noise by attaching a small device to clean the signal (amp to sub)... however that also lowered the base from the sub so that is why i went the different route of putting in an after market amp.

Once again... i think its a huge shame for ford to deploy something like that.... there should have been a recall on that.

I guess that is why the '11 have a different sound unit and most likely amp.

• 2 months later...

I have noticed the same problem with my car. I usually have music/radio playing so I dont hear the noise. I have been considering taking it in to the dealer to have it fixed.

It is definitely not a fan noise, instead it sounds like electrical interference. I have the same thing with my 5 year old logitech computer speakers so I am quite familiar with the sound.

Not sure if I am going to do anything about it yet. Maybe ill call a nearby dealership and see if they know about the problem and will fix it.

I have noticed the same problem with my car. I usually have music/radio playing so I dont hear the noise. I have been considering taking it in to the dealer to have it fixed.

It is definitely not a fan noise, instead it sounds like electrical interference. I have the same thing with my 5 year old logitech computer speakers so I am quite familiar with the sound.

Not sure if I am going to do anything about it yet. Maybe ill call a nearby dealership and see if they know about the problem and will fix it.

Save your time/money/aggrivation and just buy a brand name amp and run new wires. I already did all that and wasted way too time with the dealer. All in all they changed all the parts (deck/amp/sub) and the noise still existed.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum. Bought an 08 limited and love the car but noticed this same noise about a year later.

Comes an goes. I also noticed I could hear my turn signal clicking through the rear speaker, and the noise stopped when I shifted into park.

Is this the same issue ?

Thanks

Gary