Limited vs Sel differences

DKS

I have not purchased a new Ford since 1975. I am really considering a 2010 Edge. I can find SEL models with the 201 package with Vista Roof for about $2500 less than Limited models with, seemingly, the same options. Does anyone know what really is the major difference in the two models?

I have not purchased a new Ford since 1975. I am really considering a 2010 Edge. I can find SEL models with the 201 package with Vista Roof for about $2500 less than Limited models with, seemingly, the same options. Does anyone know what really is the major difference in the two models?

We went through the same discussion at my house on the SEL vs Limited.

Ended up with an SEL that was very closely equipped to a Limited - and saved a little more than $2K in the process.

The differences between the models we looked at were

"upgraded" stereo - which didn't seem "significant" to us listening to them side by side

20" wheels/tires - I kinda like the 18" we have on the SEL. Ride is a little better IMHO - more sidewall....

2 position memory seats

Some added "trim" pieces....

DIdn't need/want the nav unit (at least not for the extra $$$$)

Edited by StrongWind

We went through the same discussion at my house on the SEL vs Limited.

Ended up with an SEL that was very closely equipped to a Limited - and saved a little more than $2K in the process.

The differences between the models we looked at were

"upgraded" stereo - which didn't seem "significant" to us listening to them side by side

20" wheels/tires - I kinda like the 18" we have on the SEL. Ride is a little better IMHO - more sidewall....

2 position memory seats

Some added "trim" pieces....

DIdn't need/want the nav unit (at least not for the extra $$$$)

9 speakers vs. 4 speaker and it didn't sound significant? Interesting.

Basically with a Limited you have more standard components while with the SEL you can get a stripped down model or build it with the options you choose.

If you think you will get an SEL with all the options a Limited has for cheaper you're wrong.

I like my 20" wheels and im looking into purchasing 22" Sport wheels and I find the ride very comforatable.

The benefit of the smaller rim is there is less chance you will damage them.

The only downfall I see that the Limited has is the chrome trim pieces. Something I might change in the future.

The info below as posted by another member in another thread that asked the same question.

The following are standard features on the Edge Limited which are optional on the Edge SEL (as copied and pasted directly from the Ford website). Of course, there may have been subsequent changes which the website does not reflect, but this information is mostly accurate:

1 - Front seating: Leather-trimmed seating surfaces with contrast stitching (available on SEL as part of optional Premium Package or part of Seating Flexibility Package).

2 - Front seating: Six-way power passenger seat with fold-flat front-passenger seat back (available on SEL as part of optional Seating Flexibility Package).

3 - Front seating: Heated (available on SEL as part of optional Premium Package).

4 - Front seating: Driver seat memory (available on SEL as part of optional Premium Package).

5 - Rear seating: Leather-trimmed seating surfaces with contrast stitching (available on SEL as part of optional Premium Package or part of Seating Flexibility Package).

6 - Premium Package: Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Controls, leather-trimmed seating surfaces, heated front seats with driver-side memory feature, power heated exterior mirrors with memory features, particulate air filter, and security approach lamps.

7 - Seating Flexibility Package: Leather-trimmed front and rear seating surfaces, 6-way power passenger seat, front row passenger fold-flat seat-back, EasyFold™ remote second row seat back release.

8 - Air conditioning: Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Controls (available in SEL as part of optional Premium Package).

9 - Particulate air filter (available in SEL as part of optional Premium Package).

10 - SYNC voice-activated, hands-free in-car communications and entertainment system.

11 - Audiophile® Sound System with nine speakers.

12 - Auxiliary climate controls on steering wheel (available on SEL as part of optional Premium Package). I actually think these were eliminated with the introduction of SYNC.

13 - Heat and memory features on power exterior mirrors (available on SEL with optional Premium Package).

14 - Universal garage door opener (optional on SEL as part of the Premium Package).

15 - Premium Package: Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Controls, leather-trimmed seating surfaces, heated front seats with driver-side memory features, power heated exterior mirrors with memory features, particulate air filter, security approach lamps, universal garage door opener.

16 - 18-inch premium chrome-clad aluminum wheels with P245/60R18 black sidewall all-season tires

17 - 20-inch premium chrome-clad aluminum wheels with sport-tuned suspension and P245/50R20 BSW all-season tires. These wheels are an option on the Limited, but not available from the factory on the SEL at all.

18 - Reverse Sensing System

Thanks for the detailed list MOFSTEEL.....I'll run through it and see what I "didn't" get...It appears I got a well equipped SEL.

Regarding the stereo comment - 9 speakers vs 4 - Yes, there was a difference between the two - but in my opinion, it wasn't worth the "cost" of buying the Limited package to get it. I have basically the same stereo (4 speaker) in my 2007 F150 Lariat SuperCrew...It's been more than adequate for me IMO.

My SEL has everthing on the list you posted in one form or another with the exception of number.....

Number 4 - no seat memory

Number 11 - Audiophile stereo

Number 17 - 20" wheels.

I do like the look of the 20" wheels, but, in my opinion, the ride was "better" and there was less "noise" in the cabin with the 18" wheel/tire combination.

Looking at the rest of the packages....I don't have the "security approach lamps" or the additional chrome trim pieces on the exterior...

We did get the rest of the "good" stuff...the dual zone climate controls, leather, steering wheel controls, power everything, SYNC, reverse sensing, power liftgate, BAMR...

At the time we purchased (Using "A" plan pricing) the dealer had over 20 Edges on the lot (more Limited's than SEL's/SE's) - We found the SEL we bought and a Limited that was comparably equipped. When we ran the numbers with the dealer side by side, we were a little over $2K better buying the SEL over the Limited. The dealer was suprised at the difference also. Possibly some way the packages were priced? Maybe additional package discounts for my area (Texas) when the "A" plan pricing was applied? Don't really know why....but it was. Had the same rebates on both the SEL and Limited.

The dealer checked on other Limiteds on the lot and found the pricing to be the same on those.

Not trying to be argumentative, just sharing what I found when purchasing my Edge.

I also looked at both a Limited & SEL before buying. In my case the decision was easy as the Limited did not have the Vista roof. Don't know why you'd even buy this 'wagon' without one; it's a really nice crossover, but the roof is the #1 thing for me that distinguishes it from the pack! Anyway, the Limited was over $2k more than the SEL and I have to agree that the stereo, memory seats & universal garage door opener were not enough for me to pay the extra or even to do w/out the roof! I was driving an '08 Saturn Sky Redline so if I wasn't going to continue having the convertible at least I'd get an open sky above me. BTW, I REALLY love this vehicle. My husband was worried about me in my little hotrod since we live in an area w/ALOT of big pickups & SUVs so I agreed to go bigger & safer...I really thought I'd miss my Sky because THAT is an excellent car, and I do miss it a little, but not NEARLY as much as I thought because the Edge rocks!! If anyone is thinking of picking one up I highly recommend it. Mine is the Platinum Metallic w/chrome wheels. With the black accents around windshield & roof and the tinted windows it is REALLY quite stunning!! :rockon:

I also looked at both a Limited & SEL before buying. In my case the decision was easy as the Limited did not have the Vista roof. Don't know why you'd even buy this 'wagon' without one; it's a really nice crossover, but the roof is the #1 thing for me that distinguishes it from the pack! Anyway, the Limited was over $2k more than the SEL and I have to agree that the stereo, memory seats & universal garage door opener were not enough for me to pay the extra or even to do w/out the roof! I was driving an '08 Saturn Sky Redline so if I wasn't going to continue having the convertible at least I'd get an open sky above me. BTW, I REALLY love this vehicle. My husband was worried about me in my little hotrod since we live in an area w/ALOT of big pickups & SUVs so I agreed to go bigger & safer...I really thought I'd miss my Sky because THAT is an excellent car, and I do miss it a little, but not NEARLY as much as I thought because the Edge rocks!! If anyone is thinking of picking one up I highly recommend it. Mine is the Platinum Metallic w/chrome wheels. With the black accents around windshield & roof and the tinted windows it is REALLY quite stunning!! :rockon:

Did you mean you were looking at a Limited in stock that didn't have the BAMR? It's certainly available on the Limited.

• 2 months later...

The radio in the limited is a 6 cd changer, not a single disk like the SEL. Also, it has the HDMI plug in the center console which I didn't notice in the SEL.

Really? I thought it was single-disk... in fact, I just checked the website & it says single-disk. Can anyone confirm this? (I don't have mine yet) Not sure about the HDMI port, but I thought I did see that in the SEL?

One other item that the Limited has is the availability of the Driver's Entry Package (keyless ignition, remote start & power liftgate). I wanted that option, so it pushed me over to the Limited.

Also, the exterior door handles are body color on the Limited, and chrome on the SEL.

I think also that the entry keypad on the door is body color, and black on the other models? (could be wrong on this one, but seems like that's what I'm remembering)

• 1 year later...

I like "stuff", so I got the Limited not only for the stuff it has, but for the extra stuff I could only add to the Limited over the SEL (did not want the "Sport), such as factory HID's, BLIS, IA package, and adaptive cruise control. Or that's the way Canadian packages were for 2012 anyway :) .