Oil Change Intervals

DanM

Hi Everyone.

Yes, first time poster. Red 2010 Edge SEL with Camel leather interior and a BAMR. We are loving it so far. I was wondering what everyone does for their oil change intervals. The manual says 7500 miles for normal use, but the dealership is sending me emails that I am due for my first at 3750.

Thanks!

Dan

Hi Everyone.

Yes, first time poster. Red 2010 Edge SEL with Camel leather interior and a BAMR. We are loving it so far. I was wondering what everyone does for their oil change intervals. The manual says 7500 miles for normal use, but the dealership is sending me emails that I am due for my first at 3750.

Thanks!

Dan

Hi Dan. :D As you mentioned, the Ford recommended oil change interval is 6 months/7,500 miles (whichever comes first) for Normal Service and 6 months/5,000 miles for Severe Service (explanations of each Service type is in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide).

Dealers will push all types of shorter intervals (3,000 miles, 3,750 etc.) to increase their profit margins. Heck, at 3,750 miles they will make twice as much money off of you on oil changes than if you followed Ford oil change intervals.

While you will hear many different opinions, the bottom line is that there is no need to change the oil sooner than the Ford recommended service. After all, they did design, engineer and manufacture the vehicle.

However, if it will help you sleep easier at night, then change it sooner. To protect your Warranty rights, just do not go longer than the Ford recommendations.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

i use the ford oil from walmart and change it every 5,000 miles. semi/synth. it's very simple to change on this vehicle.

My cousin has an 09 Limited and swears by full synth. saying that she gets 28 Hwy and 21 City which is 3 MPGs over EPA on both. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this or has anyone had the same experience?

My cousin has an 09 Limited and swears by full synth. saying that she gets 28 Hwy and 21 City which is 3 MPGs over EPA on both. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this or has anyone had the same experience?

Which part? That she gets 3 mpg over EPA? Sure - that's easy to do depending on location, driving style and fuel type.

Is it due to full synthetic compared to Ford's synthetic blend? Very doubtful. I'm sure she'd get the same fuel economy on Motorcraft synthetic blend.

• Like 1