Ordering New 2011 Edge Questions

bac2010

My wife and I are looking at the 2011 Ford Edge Limiteds and I'm guessing we will end up ordering one. It has been a long time since I ordered a vehicle. We talked to a salesperson last night about ordering and he raised some questions:

1. Incentives and Rebates - Are these applied only upon delivery and not at ordering time? This is what our saleperson said since they technically apply only toward stock. He did say whatever incentives and rebates are available when we take delivery will be applied - but I guessing it would be up to us to push for them although the dealer should do this automatically. There is a $1000 incentive available now that expires on 10/4 which we will lose out on.

2. Price increases - If we agree upon a price for an Edge and order one and then factory raises prices, will our negotiated price also go up? Salesperson said yes. I wasn't so sure.

3. Financing - Is this done at ordering or delivery? I'm guessing delivery since it doesn't makes sense otherwise - but you never know.

4. Time to delivery. The salesperson said up to 12 weeks. I know that may have been the case in June/July but since the factory is now at full production, I would have thought 6-8 weeks was more of a reasonable estimate. The salesperson talked about allocations and such but 12 weeks still seemed out of line.

5. Deposit - We have been hearing mostly $500 but one was $1000 and another was $2000. Less is better. Do you think dealers will move off the higher amounts to accept lower? I also read that using a credit card for the deposit is a must - never cash or check.

Thanks for your help

1. At Delivery time

2. Yes

3. Delivery

4. I have heard 8-12

5. Don't know.

1. Normally you get the rebates in effect at the time of delivery, but Select dealers appear to have the option to lock in incentives when the vehicle is ordered OR give you the ones in effect when the vehicle is delivered - whichever is lower. This appears to be a new program and it only applies to Select dealers so you'd have to ask your dealer if they're Select and if they know about the program.

2. That depends entirely on how you negotiated the deal with the dealer. If you negotiated a specific price and there is no wording on the agreement about being subject to factory price changes then no, your price should not change. But if you negotiated X plan or invoice+ or MSRP- or if there is wording to that effect on the agrement then yes, it will change.

3. Delivery

4. 6-12 but that depends on the dealer and how much allocation they have and what priority they give your order (10 is the best).

5. It's totally up to the dealer. $500 is typical but I've seen $1000. I would not go above $1000 - that's unreasonable especially since the dealer doesn't have to put anything up front to order the vehicle.

1. Normally you get the rebates in effect at the time of delivery, but Select dealers appear to have the option to lock in incentives when the vehicle is ordered OR give you the ones in effect when the vehicle is delivered - whichever is lower. This appears to be a new program and it only applies to Select dealers so you'd have to ask your dealer if they're Select and if they know about the program.

2. That depends entirely on how you negotiated the deal with the dealer. If you negotiated a specific price and there is no wording on the agreement about being subject to factory price changes then no, your price should not change. But if you negotiated X plan or invoice+ or MSRP- or if there is wording to that effect on the agrement then yes, it will change.

3. Delivery

4. 6-12 but that depends on the dealer and how much allocation they have and what priority they give your order (10 is the best).

5. It's totally up to the dealer. $500 is typical but I've seen $1000. I would not go above $1000 - that's unreasonable especially since the dealer doesn't have to put anything up front to order the vehicle.

And yes - always use a credit card for deposits so that you have available recourse if anything comes up - Cash still has no trail.

I negotiated a price when I ordered my Edge. I also discussed leasing with my salesguy. The first quarter of the 2011 Edge production's residuals are very high. (Good for consumer) That is expected to change Oct 1 when the new numbers come out. So, although I (or any buyer) basically said I'll take this car under these conditions, the conditions are subject to change by the time of delivery. We put the order in with the hope that I could take delivery by 10/1 to take advantage of the good residual (and rate). I did get my Edge this month, so that point ended up being moot.

He also told me that Ford is one manufacturer (not sure who else) that will not commit to a price / deal at time of order. Dealers have been asking Ford forever to do this. It's not fair to the customer. Good luck getting a commitment from the dealer on a deal at time of order.

We ended up getting an Edge that was already built with exactly the color and options we wanted. It is a couple hundred miles away and we'll pick it up next week as soon as the dealer does the swap. Better than waiting 12 weeks! We did get the $1000 incentive but I also noticed something called RCL Customer Cash on the Ford website. I am guessing this is for leases since our salesperson didn't mention it. Is that correct?

Thanks for all your help.

We ended up getting an Edge that was already built with exactly the color and options we wanted. It is a couple hundred miles away and we'll pick it up next week as soon as the dealer does the swap. Better than waiting 12 weeks! We did get the $1000 incentive but I also noticed something called RCL Customer Cash on the Ford website. I am guessing this is for leases since our salesperson didn't mention it. Is that correct?

Thanks for all your help.

RCL = Red Carpet Lease

I can't believe the crap that your dealer was giving you! I ordered a 2011 Edge 3 weeks ago and here's what I got:

1. Incentives and Rebates - I got the incentives and deals that were applicalbe the day I made the deal. If incentives improve when I take delivery - I get them; If they get worse, I keep the original (better) deal.

2. Price increases - you gotta be kidding - no such thing, deal was made. I'll go buy a GM if they pull that stunt!

3. Financing - was done at order to take advantage of the $1,000 incentive.

4. Time to delivery. 6-8 weeks quoted, still waiting for confirmation

5. Deposit - zero

Perhaps it's different in the States but every factory order I've been involved with or read about provides the customer with the better of the incentives/rebates available at time of order or at time of delivery. It the only fair way to do it.

Totally different in the states. You normally get the incentives that are in effect when the vehicle is delivered - period. It's always been that way. I like having the option.

Perhaps it's different in the States but every factory order I've been involved with or read about provides the customer with the better of the incentives/rebates available at time of order or at time of delivery. It the only fair way to do it.

In Canada (Ontario) at Ford you always get the best price/deal from when you order it to when you pick it up. My price actually went down :-)

Oufff...

I sign a deal for someting you will deliver to me in 6 weeks...and at delivery you break the deal that we made and bump up the price???

Never...never for me. They do that and i buy elsewhere...for sure.

That depends entirely on what deal you signed. If the deal says "this is the price - period" then you're correct. However, the paperwork almost always indicates that incentives are based on what is in effect at the time of delivery and if you're buying based on an invoice or msrp price and that changes then of course the price will change.

Incentives come from the mfr, not the dealer. The dealer has no control over them. If the dealer wants to give you credit for incentives that you may or may not actually receive, that's up to the dealer but it would be stupid for the dealer to promise you a $1000 rebate that Ford won't give you since their profit margin on the vehicle is probably less than that.

What you are saying does not apply in Ontario. If anyone trys to tell you that it does, then somebody is getting hosed. Any reputable dealer will tell you that you get the better of two prices - what you signed for when order was drafted or when you take delivery. You never pay more at arrival then what you signed for. My Dealer has categorically made this clear to me.

What you are saying does not apply in Ontario. If anyone trys to tell you that it does, then somebody is getting hosed. Any reputable dealer will tell you that you get the better of two prices - what you signed for when order was drafted or when you take delivery. You never pay more at arrival then what you signed for. My Dealer has categorically made this clear to me.

These rules are CATEGORICALLY different in the states. Ontario is Canada, not the U.S. and the rules on incentives and pricing are different.

I can't believe the crap that your dealer was giving you! I ordered a 2011 Edge 3 weeks ago and here's what I got:

1. Incentives and Rebates - I got the incentives and deals that were applicalbe the day I made the deal. If incentives improve when I take delivery - I get them; If they get worse, I keep the original (better) deal.

2. Price increases - you gotta be kidding - no such thing, deal was made. I'll go buy a GM if they pull that stunt!

3. Financing - was done at order to take advantage of the $1,000 incentive.

4. Time to delivery. 6-8 weeks quoted, still waiting for confirmation

5. Deposit - zero

Same with me, except i did put down a deposit.

Oufff...

I sign a deal for something you will deliver to me in 6 weeks...and at delivery you break the deal that we made and bump up the price???

Never...never for me. They do that and i buy elsewhere...for sure.

I agree. That is ridiculous. What's the point of signing a deal if you don't really know what the final price is?

I am in Ontario as well. I understand that the rules in Ontario (and maybe Canada) are different than the US. I would really hate buying a vehicle in the US if those were the rules. Come to Ontario to buy your car...or...remember that we pay a sh1t load more for our vehicles than you do. AND the Edge is assembled 30kms from my house for *$%^ sakes!

Signed happily/excitedly waiting for my Edge. :)

That depends entirely on what deal you signed. If the deal says "this is the price - period" then you're correct. However, the paperwork almost always indicates that incentives are based on what is in effect at the time of delivery and if you're buying based on an invoice or msrp price and that changes then of course the price will change.

Incentives come from the mfr, not the dealer. The dealer has no control over them. If the dealer wants to give you credit for incentives that you may or may not actually receive, that's up to the dealer but it would be stupid for the dealer to promise you a $1000 rebate that Ford won't give you since their profit margin on the vehicle is probably less than that.

I understand..

But the dealer will have to explain to me why he called me 3 times to sign the deal saying

'' Its the last days for the present incentives..after that, i can't guarantee you will still have as good a deal''..I even have that on my voicemail.

I don't buy that..it's maybe how it is..but I don't buy that...

1- The programs come from Ford..

2- They ''know'' the date that the dealer placed the order with them

3- When they (Ford) proposed me the deal..Those were the incentives that were in effect..at that date.

4- When the car comes in ..4,5 6-8 weels later..they change the figures on me ???

I will tell you what..

Never..not one penny, or they will keep their car. Tons of nice products and super aggessive market on top of that. I would just get something else.

Now..if the new deals are better than what I signed..I am ok with that. I will pay more

I had decided at the time of signing that all was OK with me..I live with that..

On a less agressive note (..I just can't understand things like this..sorry if I come around sounding like a madman everyone ! )

The Kona Sport will be here in 'bout 2 weeks

YES!!!

Cheers

Edited by Stephen

My dealer didn't even talk price or incentives with me when I ordered. He told me that was all done at time of the paperwork. Turns out if the car had come in when they said - (this week) I could have gotten another 500 off - I got it almost 2 weeks ago and I am ok with not getting it but having the car already.

I understand..

But the dealer will have to explain to me why he called me 3 times to sign the deal saying

'' Its the last days for the present incentives..after that, i can't guarantee you will still have as good a deal''..I even have that on my voicemail.

I don't buy that..it's maybe how it is..but I don't buy that...

1- The programs come from Ford..

2- They ''know'' the date that the dealer placed the order with them

3- When they (Ford) proposed me the deal..Those were the incentives that were in effect..at that date.

4- When the car comes in ..4,5 6-8 weels later..they change the figures on me ???

I will tell you what..

Never..not one penny, or they will keep their car. Tons of nice products and super aggessive market on top of that. I would just get something else.

If you're in Canada then you get the lower of the incentives in place at the time of order or time of delivery.

If you're in the states then you get the incentives from Ford that are in effect when the vehicle is delivered. The dealer has no choice in this. If the dealer told you otherwise then the dealer is wrong.

If you're in Canada then you get the lower of the incentives in place at the time of order or time of delivery.

If you're in the states then you get the incentives from Ford that are in effect when the vehicle is delivered. The dealer has no choice in this. If the dealer told you otherwise then the dealer is wrong.

In Canada, and it's a good thing in this case. But even if i were in Timbucktoo...

I understand that you always come back to the dealer...but i don't care about the dealer!

In my opinion, Ford marketing come out with incentives from month to month. THEY have to stand by and apply what was offered at the time you said yes. It does not work in my head. Whats the point in offering any promotions then? You will only know when you receive it!!??

I sit and order a steak from the menu at a restaurant with my family. (Ford's Grill..)

I wait 25 minutes ... And the server (dealer) comes with my wonderful sizzling hot, thick, juicy piece of heaven cooked just for me,ordered to my taste. ( Edge sport...loaded. Smells new..super paint job..and THE wheels...a beauty)

Now is not the time to talk, it's time to Eat. God I am hungry, waited an extra 25 minutes for MY order instead of going to Minute Steak Grill or some cr/(&y place. (6 weeks..7, 8?) plus i did not have lunch today! ( been driving a 1991 Chrysler ...since 1991)

Now, the server says to me in my ear, "By the way sir, that piece of meat is going to be an extra 12$,the pricing was just changed in our ordering system" ( Vista roof opened...the V6 is turning soft as a Victoria's Secret model's ....well. It's mine, I wanna drive! NOW!)

"Oh! And now you tell me..." As i am hypnotized into oblivion by the perfectly criss-cross grill marks on my piece of meat.

Some will cut into it and go wild (Seatbelts,mirrors, ..Vista, Metallica..San Francisco US1...GO!)

Some will just eat elsewhere ....not for the $12.. (or the 1200$) for the principal.

Cheers!

I

Edited by Stephen

It makes perfect sense if you understand how rebates work and why they are used. Rebates are offered by the mfr to get rid of excess dealer inventory. Ordering a vehicle doesn't help that thus the rebates don't apply. If you want the rebates then buy one off the lot and you get it. The dealer is just the middle man here. In fact you can have Ford mail the rebate directly to you.

Is it just me or did the Invoice prices on all Ford's come down a little bit...

I know I was looking at both Fusion Hybrid and Edge Limited, and now on Edmunds they have dropped a few hundred bucks at least.

Fusion Hybrid - MSRP 32,820 Old Invoice was 30,439 now it is 30,021

Edge Limited w/ Driver Entry - MSRP 35890 Old Invoice ???? New Invoice 33,442

I can't remember the old Invoice on the Edge but I don't remember it being 2,400 off of MSRP.

The reason I ask is I have a dealer that sells at Invoice, and with the now $1,500 rebate on the EDGE this might actually happen.

Thanks, Jason