Dreamss

Which Tire Is Best?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What Tire Would You Buy?

• Pirelli Scorpion Ice And Snow
    • Toyo Observe G-02 plus
    • Bridgestone Blizzack DM-V1
    • Michelins Latitude

Well....I did it!! I just bought my set of winter rims!!

I spent some time of Tire Rack contemplating which set to get along with a few days on EBay looking for original OEM rims which for some reason I felt more comfortable with.

After deciding to go OEM, I was torn between the 18" Limited Chrome wheels or the 17" SE painted wheels.

The Chrome was selling out of California for $595 USD, plus another $130 shipping, the set is CLEAN and the seller has awesome feedback, but his price was close to double when compared to other sellers offering the same product more or less. If the price was a tad lower for this particular set, I would probably have taken them.

I continued to look, found a set of 17" OEM rims at a wicked low price (or least for me it was lol). The set is CLEEEEEEAN!

I called the seller, a Ford dealership with a dedicated EBay division, they told me that 99.9% these wheels were never used. The tags that are on each wheel when the car is being built at the factory are still on the rims! The dealer usually takes them off when the car is delivered and detailed prior to handing the car over to the client. They believe that these wheels arrived to the dealer and were immediately taken off...what they call a "take off" wheel.

Here is the link to the rims I bought, $342 USD for the set of 4 with center caps!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350386516015

Scroll down to see the add / listing and pics

Oh ya, for fitment issues, I was told to try transwheel.com

They had specs on almost every rim and when I looked up the Ford Edge 2011 Aluminium rims (in the catalogue), the rims I ordered are mentioned as 2007 - 2011 wheels and from what I can tell, almost every year the SE has been made, it looks like the same rim was used.

Can't wait to get the wheels, next will be the tires!

Congrats Dreams. One question, I looked at the link and see no mention of TPM, do you know if these included the Tire pressure Monitors? Great price on the wheels though

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Dreams. One question, I looked at the link and see no mention of TPM, do you know if these included the Tire pressure Monitors? Great price on the wheels though

Hey bpattie,

The wheels I bought do not include the TPM sensors. I have yet to see any wheels new or used to include them for that matter unless it was a direct take off which included the tire and a sale done "private", not like an EBay store or Tire Rack.

The sellers are not stupid either, these sensors costs between $40 and $50 EACH so they would be silly to just hand them over with the purchase of new wheels, especially when you’re paying around $100 each wheel be it like my purchase or through Tire Rack. The sensors are almost half of the value of the wheel alone.

I did find out through a forum member that the 2011 have a DIFFERENT style TPM than all the previous years so even if it came with the sensor, unless it was from a 2011 model (which you don't find used yet), the sensor would probably be useless to us.

The 2010 and older models had a TPM which was attached to a big band that went around the inside of the rim. The 2011 model is now using a TPM that is a small unit which connects to the inside part of the valve.

If you look on Tire Rack, you can also see a picture of each of the different sensors by simply searching for wheels for the 2010 and 2011 model Edge and when you see a pop up for the TPMS sensor, click on it to open the text and picture. My local dealer quoted me $52 each sensor, I heard cost was around $42 which I will push them to give me, heck, I just paid 40k for the truck, the least you can do is give me the crappy sensors at cost.

The Loonie is hovering at par today, gotta get my tires ordered quickly from Tire Rack!!!

My DM-V1’s are $118 each USD and closer to $200 in Canada, and I’m 30 minutes away from the border!

Oh ya, my dealer here in Montreal quoted me $495 for each 17” rim NEW if I ordered from them, I paid less than that for all 4 and they’re as good as new. Crazy.

I just ordered 4 Gislaved Nordfrost 5 (17") tires with Steel wheels & TPMS sensors installed for $ 1160 CDN all in. These are supposed to be excellent tires.

I have also dealt with Simply Tyre and he quoted me for the same tires $1070 plus taxes. no TPMS How much did you pay for the sensors?

I am also in on a group buy. So how did you get it all in for $1160?

Thanks

I have also dealt with Simply Tyre and he quoted me for the same tires $1070 plus taxes. no TPMS How much did you pay for the sensors?

I am also in on a group buy. So how did you get it all in for $1160?

Thanks

My Edge has just arrived and winter tires will soon be required so I asked the dealer in Barrie to quote.

I asked for painted aluminum rims, 17" Bridgestones DM-V1, TPMS and they came back with $2140 all in.

I think I need to shop around. I'm interested in any group buy in the Toronto area

Edited by MidVids

some of the deals I have seen folks get or research at Tire rack seem pretty good, unless you are in Canada and then I guess unless you have a place to pick them up in US, the shipping is high. I was also at Costco yesterday, usual weekend re-supply, and saw a big Blizzak display, talked to a guy there and he said to wait until next month, apparently they are coming out with a Blizzak coupon. I need to call them back, but he quoted either 485 or 585 for a set of 4 mounted, balanced, etc.

some of the deals I have seen folks get or research at Tire rack seem pretty good, unless you are in Canada and then I guess unless you have a place to pick them up in US, the shipping is high. I was also at Costco yesterday, usual weekend re-supply, and saw a big Blizzak display, talked to a guy there and he said to wait until next month, apparently they are coming out with a Blizzak coupon. I need to call them back, but he quoted either 485 or 585 for a set of 4 mounted, balanced, etc.

edit, ps they were the DM-V1 and I think 245/ 65-17

Edited by bpattie

My Edge has just arrived and winter tires will soon be required so I asked the dealer in Barrie to quote.

I asked for painted aluminum rims, 17" Bridgestones DM-V1, TPMS and they came back with $2140 all in.

I think I need to shop around. I'm interested in any group buy in the Toronto area

Go to simply tyre web site and say you are with the Toronto Mazda 3 club and you want in the group buy for winter tires for your Ford.. He will give you a list on steel rims. Thats what I did as I use to own a Mazda.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Going through the winter tire process myself. I was told via a retailer here in Ottawa that the TMPS sensors have to be set-up with the car each time you switch the tires in and out. That would be twice a year at $50 each time; that's what he quoted. So $100 each year plus $200 for the sensors up front. Total = $700 over 5 years. Yikes!!!

Can anyone confirm this and / or is there an easy way to do it yourself?

thanks,

Hi all,

Going through the winter tire process myself. I was told via a retailer here in Ottawa that the TMPS sensors have to be set-up with the car each time you switch the tires in and out. That would be twice a year at $50 each time; that's what he quoted. So $100 each year plus $200 for the sensors up front. Total = $700 over 5 years. Yikes!!!

Can anyone confirm this and / or is there an easy way to do it yourself?

thanks,

Search the forum and you may find what I saw a while back. You can get the programmer for little money and do that part yourself. $20 comes to mind.

Search the forum and you may find what I saw a while back. You can get the programmer for little money and do that part yourself. $20 comes to mind.

Thanks I looked around but only found one that works with older style band type sensors. The 2011 has the new valve stem type. It was a few years ago and the procedures were there as well and $16. I'll contact Ford tomorrow.

Hey Freddie,

I was on tire rack a few minutes ago about to order my winter tires and they are selling the "reset" tool Ford OEM part they claim for $42.00. I am on the fence about ordering it myself, I don't know how hard it actually is to use it and if this is exactly the part I need so I can reset the sensors myself but the tool they are selling is for the TPMS-12 on the valve stem, not for the band style from older years.

Another cool thing is that they are selling the TPMS sensors with valve stems upgradable to Chrome option, something my dealer told me was not an option for my summer 20's I got.

I just don't want to have to take my car in to Ford specifically to have the sensors flashed as I have a much nicer and cleaner place in my area close to me that does a fantastic job (for less also) of taking off winter tires / rims and putting your summers back on. I won’t need to take any tires off the rims as I now have a dedicated set for both summer and winter but would hate to keeping having to pay to reset the sensors with each flip over :(

Has anyone used the reset tool? Will the one on tire rack be all I need? My dealer told me you need to get close to each tire and reset it next to the valve stems?

So what's the verdict regarding how intrusive the warnings are if you don't have TPSM installed? Is it just a single warning window that you can click OK on and not worry about it until the next vehicle restart? I realize it will likely have a warning light on constantly but that can be taken care of with a piece of tape. I have decided that TPSM is not worth it for my winter tires - unless I essentially lose the functionality of the left LCD screen!

I see the "Poll" is showing an amazing high % of respondents going with the Blizzak DMV1. Is that because that is "Tire Rack's" recommendation? It appears to me that the DMV1 is a bit more than one needs for the Edge and that the Blizzak WS-70 fits the bill better as it has the same load rating and the OEM summer tires at 104; the load rating on the DMV1 is 108. Being that the performance of both tires is relatively the same why would everyone pay $42 more a tire (here in Canada, $245 vs $203)?

• 1 month later...

Are you still considering an 18" winter wheel/tire package. I priced a 17" package at tire rack (Blizzak DM-V1s and 5 spoke alloys) for $983.66 shipped to Calais.

I wish I knew more about what you can/can't do swapping out tires. I've got the 22's on my 2011 sport and am looking at putting on dedicated snows. I don't want to be remounting tires every 4/5 months so would want to pick up new rims too. For those in the know, are there only certain brands/sizes of 17" rims that will fit where my 22's where? What rims did you go with for your Blizzaks?

Thanks!

Well first snowfall in Oakville (located 20 mins west of Toronto, Ontario).

Coincidently I had installed my new Gislaved Nordfrost 5 this past Saturday (including TPMS sensors)... Have to say barely noticed there was anything on the ground. These are excellent tires, I guess a company that has snow 100% of the year should know how to make a an awesome set of snow tires.

The only problem with these tires is... Have to take it easy on the braking... The guy behind me usually can't stop so fast...

I wish I knew more about what you can/can't do swapping out tires. I've got the 22's on my 2011 sport and am looking at putting on dedicated snows. I don't want to be remounting tires every 4/5 months so would want to pick up new rims too. For those in the know, are there only certain brands/sizes of 17" rims that will fit where my 22's where? What rims did you go with for your Blizzaks?

Thanks!

You can run either 17" or 18" wheels on your Edge Sport with no issues at all. If you go to here at TireRack's website and plug in your 2011 Edge Sport, you'll see what size they recommend. You can also go here and use a tire size calculator to see how it affects your speedo as well.

Btw, I have my Blizzaks mounted on the factory 17" wheels that come on the SE model.