Dreamss

Which Tire Is Best?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What Tire Would You Buy?

• Pirelli Scorpion Ice And Snow
    • Toyo Observe G-02 plus
    • Bridgestone Blizzack DM-V1
    • Michelins Latitude

Just a thought, but perhaps I can get my buddy at Tire Rack to offer a discount if we both purchase a winter whee/tire pack from him. Anyways, just a thought if you might be interested.

I may be in on this!

I spoke to a guy named "Wess", he seemed really nice, by any chance is this the guy your reffering to?

Tony

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought, but perhaps I can get my buddy at Tire Rack to offer a discount if we both purchase a winter whee/tire pack from him. Anyways, just a thought if you might be interested.

Let me see if my brother would be interested too. See what kind of deal you could get on 2 or 3 sets.

Hey CanuckG35,

What rims did you pick out at Tire Rack and how did you do the winter package combo? I tried selecting the 2011 Edge for tires and wheels but got the following error message:

Due to the unique technical aspects of this application, we can only accept orders for Winter / Snow Tire & Wheel Packages for your 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD over the phone

and it wouldn’t show me any wheels??

How did you select your wheels and which ones you eyeballing? Link?

As for the TPMS sensor, myself personally, I think it will drive me nuts to see the light all winter and potentially here a chime, so I'm on the fence about getting them or not, I want them but don't want to pay the added cost for them lol.

I was speaking to another friend on the forum and I was told that the TPMS sensors from the 2011 Edge is NOT like the previous model years. Unlike the other years being on the inside rim, I was told this year it’s on the valve, don't hold me to this but this is what I was told. I have asked for some pictures of the valve and maybe the part number as it was bought from a Ford Dealer in Montreal and the price was $42 each at Ford Cost.

I haven't decided fully on the tires yet but the DM-V1's are looking like they may take it but know with all this talk about 17's or 18's, I am once again second guessing myself with size now...I want 18's but 17's may be better for cutting snow, besides they will be cheaper, and the rims to. Still debating this in my head lol.

I too will do a P/U in the USA, I actually live 30 minutes from my door to the Lacolle boarder in USA and the holding facility I ship them to is about 1/4 mile once I’m in...the charge 3$ to hold a shipment of any size under 50 pounds so I can't go wrong there!

Tire Rack quoted me $144 to ship to Montreal or $61 30 minutes from my door on the American side, it's a no brainer lol.

I would love to buy a set of 2011 SEL wheels for the winter, even the most basic ones painted only would work for me, I would rather it be originals but I think I’m going to be picking something up from Tire Rack as well.

Tony

Tony, Tire Rack doesn't have their packages built for the 2011 Edge, so I went off of the 2010 Edge. I selected the Blizzak DM-V1 tires and Sport Edition F2 Silver alloy wheels.

For me shipping right to my door would cost $426, however shipping to Calais, Me (which is only an hour away) is $115. Certainly a no brainer. I'll call my buddy on Monday and see if we can work out a group buy type of deal. )

Sounds good Gerard, I will keep you posted as well regarding prices on a potential group buy. :)

Hey CanuckG35,

Any news on the group buy by any chance?

Oh ya, i just went onto Tire Rack this morning and tried to build a package for the 2011 Edge Limited AWD, it actually looks like they may have it setup finally, i was told when i called last week it would be within the month, i think it's ready now.

Do me a favour, just to make sure I'm not "seeing" things, do you wanna confirm that Tire Rack is now officially set up with the 2011 Ford Edge info regardless of what model you own?

Thanks!

Tony

Just found from my friend at Tire Rack that he is unfortunately not able to offer any group buys. He stated he could give shipping discounts on multiple orders, but they would all have to be shipped to the same place. So that wouldn't work either.

Since Tire Rack does have their info up for the 2011 Edge, the package I will probably get is;

235/65R17 XL Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 Blackwall

17X7.5 Sport Edition F2 Silver Painted

$984.10 USD including shipping

Seems to me that the tires are the easy choice but finding rims that fit and are more appealing than plain steel but still reasonable cost is the hard part.

Has anyone has bought Edge or other make 18" rims at a Ford dealer to use for dedicated winter tires?

Unfortunately Tirerack shipping charges for me are prohibitive.

Seems to me that the tires are the easy choice but finding rims that fit and are more appealing than plain steel but still reasonable cost is the hard part.

Has anyone has bought Edge or other make 18" rims at a Ford dealer to use for dedicated winter tires?

Unfortunately Tirerack shipping charges for me are prohibitive.

How far are you from the US border? If you are fairly close to the border, it will save you a TON of money getting them shipped within the US and then go pick them up. That is what I will be doing. Shipping went from over $400 to just a shade over $100 just by having them shipped to the Maine border instead of directly to my house. Anyways, just a thought.

How far are you from the US border? If you are fairly close to the border, it will save you a TON of money getting them shipped within the US and then go pick them up. That is what I will be doing. Shipping went from over $400 to just a shade over $100 just by having them shipped to the Maine border instead of directly to my house. Anyways, just a thought.

I guess that is an option though I don't know where exactly I would have them shipped to. I could have them shipped to a recommended installer in probably Great Falls MT, but then I don't need the installer to actually install anything - I would have Tire Rack put the tires on the rim and balance them and I would put the winters on myself when needed. So my question is what's in it for the installer?

But it is a good excuse for a road trip! Thanks.

I guess that is an option though I don't know where exactly I would have them shipped to. I could have them shipped to a recommended installer in probably Great Falls MT, but then I don't need the installer to actually install anything - I would have Tire Rack put the tires on the rim and balance them and I would put the winters on myself when needed. So my question is what's in it for the installer?

But it is a good excuse for a road trip! Thanks.

What I will be doing is shipping them to a business/warehouse close to the Maine border. There are lots to choose from and you just pay them x amount of dollars to store them until you come pick them up. I am sure there is something similiar to that by the MT border.

And yes, it's a great excuse for a road trip! :):shift:

I just ordered 4 Gislaved Nordfrost 5 (17") tires with Steel wheels & TPMS sensors installed for $ 1160 CDN all in

Taxes included too?

My Brother has a 2010 edge and has 17" steelies from his previous vehicle (Mazda Tribute). He told me they do not fit. Also the TPMS in th 2011 edge may be different from the 2010 model. You may only be able to buy the TPMS at Ford. Dam TPMS are a pain. If they provide a steely that fits your 2011/2010 edge with tires(235/65R17 XL) & TPMS that is indeed a really good deal.

Canuck that rim and tire package looks good. What do you think of a "OEM Ford TPMS Triggering Tool " for $45.00 at Tire Rack. Do you think we need that to reset the sensors?

Does anyone know 100% for certain that a wheel from the 2007 - 2010 Ford Edge will fit without a doubt on the 2011's?

I am looking for used OEM wheels and found something i liked from a 2010 but need to know for certain they will fit without any problems.

I would be buying a set of 18" wheels from 2010 model to be winter rims on my 2011 which i ordered with 20's.

From all my searching, looks like the offsets are the same and wheel width, however a dealer told me the "hub" had changed or is a different part number.

Has anyone actually seen or tested a 2010 or older wheel on the 2011's?

Thanks!

Edited by Dreamss

I'm still trying to make up my mind reg my winter wheel selection :banghead:

Is there any real benefit to buying 17" rims over the 18's? Granted, the 18" wheels will cost a little more for both the wheel and the tire but money aside, will I have better traction, digging, ploughing or driving with the 17" ?

17" seem to be a popular choice on this forum for dedicated winter setup and the recommended choice when you look at tire rack.

I am torn between going with used 18" 2010 limited wheels in chrome or used 17" 2010 SE wheels painted. I like the 18" chromes for the look more than anything so the car still looks sweet in the winter but granted it's only for a few months, maybe 4 max but then attracted to the price of the 17" wheels but not so much the look, however it's not terrible.

Help please..I need convincing either way!!

Tires are decided upon, it will be the DM-V1's.

What do I do??!?

Edited by Dreamss

I'm still trying to make up my mind reg my winter wheel selection :banghead:

Is there any real benefit to buying 17" rims over the 18's? Granted, the 18" wheels will cost a little more for both the wheel and the tire but money aside, will I have better traction, digging, ploughing or driving with the 17" ?

17" seem to be a popular choice on this forum for dedicated winter setup and the recommended choice when you look at tire rack.

I am torn between going with used 18" 2010 limited wheels in chrome or used 17" 2010 SE wheels painted. I like the 18" chromes for the look more than anything so the car still looks sweet in the winter but granted it's only for a few months, maybe 4 max but then attracted to the price of the 17" wheels but not so much the look, however it's not terrible.

Help please..I need convincing either way!!

Tires are decided upon, it will be the DM-V1's.

What do I do??!?

IMHO, I would go with the 17's. A narrower tire will cut through the snow much better and offer better traction. Think of a how a thin knife will cut through butter than a thicker knife. Keep in mind though that running 17's will put your speedo out slighty (approximately 1mph). I'll be purchasing DM-V1s as well, and they'll be 235/65-17s.

The reason people go with smaller wheels for winter is they're cheaper and you get more tire choices.

Sounds like you like the 18s. I don't think you'll be happy with the 17s just to save a few bucks.

A smaller, narrower tire will offer better traction and cut through snow much better. Being cheaper is just a bonus. :)

Well....I did it!! I just bought my set of winter rims!!

I spent some time of Tire Rack contemplating which set to get along with a few days on EBay looking for original OEM rims which for some reason I felt more comfortable with.

After deciding to go OEM, I was torn between the 18" Limited Chrome wheels or the 17" SE painted wheels.

The Chrome was selling out of California for $595 USD, plus another $130 shipping, the set is CLEAN and the seller has awesome feedback, but his price was close to double when compared to other sellers offering the same product more or less. If the price was a tad lower for this particular set, I would probably have taken them.

I continued to look, found a set of 17" OEM rims at a wicked low price (or least for me it was lol). The set is CLEEEEEEAN!

I called the seller, a Ford dealership with a dedicated EBay division, they told me that 99.9% these wheels were never used. The tags that are on each wheel when the car is being built at the factory are still on the rims! The dealer usually takes them off when the car is delivered and detailed prior to handing the car over to the client. They believe that these wheels arrived to the dealer and were immediately taken off...what they call a "take off" wheel.

Here is the link to the rims I bought, $342 USD for the set of 4 with center caps!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350386516015

Scroll down to see the add / listing and pics

Oh ya, for fitment issues, I was told to try transwheel.com

They had specs on almost every rim and when I looked up the Ford Edge 2011 Aluminium rims (in the catalogue), the rims I ordered are mentioned as 2007 - 2011 wheels and from what I can tell, almost every year the SE has been made, it looks like the same rim was used.

Can't wait to get the wheels, next will be the tires!

Edited by Dreamss