USB not working

Ok I have looked around and I could not find this posted before so please stick with me if this is repeated.

I just bought my new 2011 Edge SEL yesterday and before rolling off the lot i wanted to plug in my iphone to the USB port. It would not recognize it but I did not think very much of it since I had not read anything and I wanted to figure it out. Now last night i read the manual and it tried to install the Sync update and i realize that all the USB ports dont recognize anything from and ipod to a usb memory stick. Has anyone else had this problem??

Ok I have looked around and I could not find this posted before so please stick with me if this is repeated.

I just bought my new 2011 Edge SEL yesterday and before rolling off the lot i wanted to plug in my iphone to the USB port. It would not recognize it but I did not think very much of it since I had not read anything and I wanted to figure it out. Now last night i read the manual and it tried to install the Sync update and i realize that all the USB ports dont recognize anything from and ipod to a usb memory stick. Has anyone else had this problem??

I have a 2011 MKX and an older version of an Ipod.It did work, but initially I tried a USB memory stick with jpg files .It did not recognize the USB stick.

I suspect that if you have only music files on the stick it might work.I'll try it later.

John

I have an 8GB SDHC card in a mini-USB reader plugged into one of the USB ports. It has 3 folders: Photos, Music, Videos. There are no files in the Videos folder.

I can retrieve and save photos (they follow the rules for wallpaper) and play all the music.

I have left it plugged in. I notice when I start the Edge, a "USB not supported" message displays. I dismiss it. After that, I can do all as described above.

When I drove off the Dealer's lot the USB drives where working with my Iphone 3G. After playing around with BT, USB, Sirrus and other various settings and configurations the USB ports and Bt sopped working.

A quick reboot by removing the number 29 fuse (and waiting 20 secs before re-inserting) BT and USB were working again.

So far I've confgiured BT/USB for 2 iphones, 1 9700 BlackBerry cell (BT works awesome for phone and music), 1 USB key with Music and pictures, HomeLink, MyKey and door keypad.

After rebooting and finishing my configurations, I did another reboot. Othen a few quirks, it's stable.

We should get paid for QA'ing their systems!

So do i need to format the thumb drive a certain way to get it to work? When i plugged my iphone in it didn't even say it was charging and when i plugged in a thumb drive it didn't light up, and when i put in a sd card from my camera it didn't register either

I didn't have to do anything to my USB ports... my ipod has worked great in it.

Sounds like maybe a check needs to be done on yours.

I didn't have to do anything to my USB ports... my ipod has worked great in it.

Sounds like maybe a check needs to be done on yours.

Yeah it is still under warranty but they say that the radio guy only comes around on tuesdays and that is one of the only two days of the week that i am in school all day. I need to get it fixed but i am reluctant to put it back in shop after only having it for a few weeks.

Yeah it is still under warranty but they say that the radio guy only comes around on tuesdays and that is one of the only two days of the week that i am in school all day. I need to get it fixed but i am reluctant to put it back in shop after only having it for a few weeks.

If absolutely nothing on yours is working - then I'd take it back to the dealership and let them make sure something isn't disconnected. I'd first try pulling the Sync fuse in the fuse panel and make sure that it's not that first. Wait about 15 seconds then put it back in and crank the car and see if that fixed it. That typically fixes issues people have when trying to sync a phone or a bluetooth device that's not syncing properly.

Same issue with my MKX. I got the car last Friday and there seems to be an issue with both the USB and the SD card. When plugging any USB stick in, it will pop a message telling me my device is not supported. The weird thing is that the USB actually works (I am able to play my .mp3)...

As for the SD card, it showed no sign of life at all! I plugged in the GPS maps data and nothing showed up on screen (not even an error message). I purchased the SD card aftermarket from a guy on ebay, so it wasn't sold directly from the dealer. I still think it should be working right off the bat without doing any config, but all I see now on SYNC is the compass. Is there something I should be doing to activate the NAV or SD card?

I tried resetting the fuse #29, but that didn't work. I also tried doing the update from the USB stick, but since it doesn't recognize it, I believe that the process ends there...

Any clues on my next options?

Same issue with my MKX. I got the car last Friday and there seems to be an issue with both the USB and the SD card. When plugging any USB stick in, it will pop a message telling me my device is not supported. The weird thing is that the USB actually works (I am able to play my .mp3)...

As for the SD card, it showed no sign of life at all! I plugged in the GPS maps data and nothing showed up on screen (not even an error message). I purchased the SD card aftermarket from a guy on ebay, so it wasn't sold directly from the dealer. I still think it should be working right off the bat without doing any config, but all I see now on SYNC is the compass. Is there something I should be doing to activate the NAV or SD card?

I tried resetting the fuse #29, but that didn't work. I also tried doing the update from the USB stick, but since it doesn't recognize it, I believe that the process ends there...

Any clues on my next options?

You will not be able to get navigation to work by purchasing the navigation card, especially from ebay.

Software for the MyTouch system has to be loaded by Ford to enable the navigation. Plus there are security measures on the nav card if it is a copy and not an original Ford card it will not even work on a car which has the nav enabled.

The purchase I made from ebay is 100% legitimate. The SD card I purchased is the original card that came with some other guy's Ford Edge. He even sent it with the original packaging. Maybe he made himself a copy, but the only thing I know for sure is that I have the original.

I doubt I will not get this piece to work. The dealer actually told me that I could get the SD on the after market for cheaper than 700$, but to get it to work, I had to get the THX sound system. Why? Not sure... but there seems to be many different versions out there. I will go to the dealer next week to figure this all out and post back with answers.

The purchase I made from ebay is 100% legitimate. The SD card I purchased is the original card that came with some other guy's Ford Edge. He even sent it with the original packaging. Maybe he made himself a copy, but the only thing I know for sure is that I have the original.

I doubt I will not get this piece to work. The dealer actually told me that I could get the SD on the after market for cheaper than 700$, but to get it to work, I had to get the THX sound system. Why? Not sure... but there seems to be many different versions out there. I will go to the dealer next week to figure this all out and post back with answers.

Because the dealer knows more than Ford employees, right? Did you miss the part about the card being paired with the loaded software? You can't even swap cards between two edges with factory SD nav. Unless your dealer has the ability to code the SD card to the Nav software and then load the software you're going to be SOL.

Because the dealer knows more than Ford employees, right? Did you miss the part about the card being paired with the loaded software? You can't even swap cards between two edges with factory SD nav. Unless your dealer has the ability to code the SD card to the Nav software and then load the software you're going to be SOL.

I have no clue what SOL means. But thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting on forums. I got tired of people using attitude for no reason.......

You will not be able to get navigation to work by purchasing the navigation card, especially from ebay.

Software for the MyTouch system has to be loaded by Ford to enable the navigation. Plus there are security measures on the nav card if it is a copy and not an original Ford card it will not even work on a car which has the nav enabled.

I have no clue what SOL means. But thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting on forums. I got tired of people using attitude for no reason.......

No reason? jpelt told you it would not work and why. I was merely reiterating what he said. You need to send that card back to the ebay seller and get your money back. It will not work as advertised. I don't know how much more helpful we could possibly be.

Don't shoot the messengers just because you don't like the answer. I just don't understand when someone asks for help, is given the answer, then ignores the correct answer because they don't like it and then they get upset when someone points it out.

If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question. BTW - SOL means s**t out of luck. It's a really accurate description of your SD nav card purchase. I'm sorry if you don't like that answer.

I know what you mean martcouz. Some forum members hang around just to give people hell. They pretend they know it all. Thank god they are in the minority.

I know how to read and I know what Late Availability means in a press release. If that makes me a know it all then by golly that's what I am. Along with everybody else.

I can't stand 2 things - misinformation and people who accuse other people or companies of doing something wrong when they didn't. And I didn't hear anyone agreeing with your assessment that Ford advertising was deceptive about MyTouch. Quite the opposite in fact.

• 2 weeks later...

Martcouz,

How did it work out, I am interested as well at adding NAV after the fact. Did your dealer get the NAV working for you with the SD card you purchased?

Martcouz,

How did it work out, I am interested as well at adding NAV after the fact. Did your dealer get the NAV working for you with the SD card you purchased?

Hey Frank,

As of yet, I got 2 completely different opinions from 2 different salemen (in different dealeships)! The first guy told me that if I didn't pay for the GPS right off the bat, there was no way for me to install it afterwards. He said that the "GPS module" wass not pre-installed. I got into quite an argument with him as I believe this to be B-S! ;)

The second dealership said: "Sure, just get your car in here, pay the 700$ and we'll give you the SD card and it's "plug and play". Ouch! Not sure of that either! I'm still waiting for him to get an SD card and give me a call. He will probably figure out that it's not that simple, but by the time he figures out the instructions to get the SD card to work, I will ask him to charge me to get the one I have to work.... we'll see where that goes!

Someone on another topic mentions that the instructions to update the maps may come in a few months. So I'm hoping that in worse case, I will be able to get the GPS to work then...

Still not a resolved issue ...

Hey Frank,

As of yet, I got 2 completely different opinions from 2 different salemen (in different dealeships)! The first guy told me that if I didn't pay for the GPS right off the bat, there was no way for me to install it afterwards. He said that the "GPS module" wass not pre-installed. I got into quite an argument with him as I believe this to be B-S! ;)

The second dealership said: "Sure, just get your car in here, pay the 700$ and we'll give you the SD card and it's "plug and play". Ouch! Not sure of that either! I'm still waiting for him to get an SD card and give me a call. He will probably figure out that it's not that simple, but by the time he figures out the instructions to get the SD card to work, I will ask him to charge me to get the one I have to work.... we'll see where that goes!

Someone on another topic mentions that the instructions to update the maps may come in a few months. So I'm hoping that in worse case, I will be able to get the GPS to work then...

Still not a resolved issue ...

Several Ford employees have already said that it won't work. The Nav software isn't installed unless you factory order the Nav and the SD card is tied to the software on a per vehicle basis. Anybody telling you it will work is just trying to get your money. So unless they can code the software to the SD card and load it they're feeding you BS (not the other way around).