Comments on non HID Lights

I dont know how I missed it but just realized (2 days before my Sport arrives) that the Sport does not have HID lights even as an option (I know it would compete with the MKX). How are the std lights? I have owned cars with HIDs for the last 7 or 8 years and consider them FAR superior to standard halogens (projectors). What is your opinion? I may still have the option to switch to a Limited if need be.

Comments? Opinions, suggestions? This will be a lease so I do not think that putting an aftermarket option is going to fly. The only thing I would consider is to retrofit a LTD light if feasible/available.

Somewhat bummed about this.

JJ

I also had HIDs for years now. I have a sport now and I am satisfied with the lights. I dont know if I would switch to a limited just due to the light issue. I think you will like the other features that the sport offers more than a light change. If it bothers you that much then you can always retrofit something for your lease term. I prefer the paddle shift and tires and bigger engine over the lights.

good luck with choice

I also had HIDs for years now. I have a sport now and I am satisfied with the lights. I dont know if I would switch to a limited just due to the light issue. I think you will like the other features that the sport offers more than a light change. If it bothers you that much then you can always retrofit something for your lease term. I prefer the paddle shift and tires and bigger engine over the lights.

good luck with choice

Speaking of the bigger engine, how does it feel in day to day driving? I've read the AWD Sport is actually a half second slower to 60 than a FWD Limited and about the same FWD vs FWD due to weight increases and getting those 22s rolling. I'm hoping it shines when you're already moving and need to make some power from the 40-60mph range.

I'm looking at the the Edge Sport and this is one feature that I was bummed to see wasn't included. Do you know if you can add the ones from the Limited if purchased?

Before I got my Sport I asked the how much to get the limited headlamps installed. They said all of $2000. I was like OK i'll pass. But once I drove it at night I was surprised to see they were not bad. My last car had HID too.

Still this was a dumb thing Ford did by not having HID standard on the Sport.

Speaking of the bigger engine, how does it feel in day to day driving? I've read the AWD Sport is actually a half second slower to 60 than a FWD Limited and about the same FWD vs FWD due to weight increases and getting those 22s rolling. I'm hoping it shines when you're already moving and need to make some power from the 40-60mph range.

I have AWD and it has good power for passing. Even on the Hyw 65 to 80 is just fine. This is coming from a guy that has always had fast cars.

I got AWD cause when I drove the FWD the front tires would always break loose (on dry pavement and worse on wet).

I looked at the parts catalog and it seems relatively simple to change from one to the other. When you add the HID "bulb" plus the ballast, you are in the $1600 range (see image)

post-11475-017225500 1287006597_thumb.jpg

Seems like the housing is the same on the non HID light but then again it is $768 per light.

I think I can live with the projector ones no?

JJ

Before I got my Sport I asked the how much to get the limited headlamps installed. They said all of $2000. I was like OK i'll pass. But once I drove it at night I was surprised to see they were not bad. My last car had HID too.

Still this was a dumb thing Ford did by not having HID standard on the Sport.

I have AWD and it has good power for passing. Even on the Hyw 65 to 80 is just fine. This is coming from a guy that has always had fast cars.

I got AWD cause when I drove the FWD the front tires would always break loose (on dry pavement and worse on wet).

I'm so happy to hear this feedback!!! 2 MORE WEEEEEEEKS!!!!!! Thanks for the optimism boost.

I agree on the AWD. It feels just fine. You dont notice it being any slower. Even though I am not trying, I am usually the first car pulling away and everyone falling behind. I dont race or jump lights but the pull is just fine.

I also like to look at the left monitor display to see the actual pull of each of the tires. There is picture of the vehicle with a bar graph depicting each wheel when you step on the gas. You can see when the rears actually engage on heavy acceleration or on sand or on gravel, etc. I like to see when the car changes from FWD to AWD. 90% of the time the car is in FWD.

After almost a week with my Silver Sport, I can say that I am disappointed in the Halogen lights. They pale in comparison to all HID lights I have had in my past cars. I guess the price of the Sport would have jumped by at least $1000 if they offered them in the Sport. I would like to convert to HIDs but that will depend how much I drive at night. I see there are plenty of options out there (Retro etc...) as well as the factory option (preferred but $$$$$$$). Anyone want to try a group buy with Ford? Do you know if the housing and the projector (bulb housing) is the same for HID and non HID? Is it as simple as switching the bulb, adding ballast, possible relay and that is it?

Other than that, Car is great. Few gremlins with the Sync but overall very happy with the car.

JJ

After almost a week with my Silver Sport, I can say that I am disappointed in the Halogen lights. They pale in comparison to all HID lights I have had in my past cars. I guess the price of the Sport would have jumped by at least $1000 if they offered them in the Sport. I would like to convert to HIDs but that will depend how much I drive at night. I see there are plenty of options out there (Retro etc...) as well as the factory option (preferred but $$$$$$$). Anyone want to try a group buy with Ford? Do you know if the housing and the projector (bulb housing) is the same for HID and non HID? Is it as simple as switching the bulb, adding ballast, possible relay and that is it?

Other than that, Car is great. Few gremlins with the Sync but overall very happy with the car.

JJ

If Ford would have made this an option it would be $495 just like on the Limited. Thats why I dont understand why Ford didn't add them. Its a SPORT model.

If it bothers you that much, then I would add a Kit. Good kits I've been told to go with are Slim Kits & Xtec. If you bought your Sport and plan on keeping it for a long time then you can go OEM.

Me...still happy with my, but would have liked HIDs on $43K car.

Does adding an aftermarket hid kit void your warranty? There's kits at ddmtuning.com that's like $50 with lifetime warranty and I've never had a problem with my 5 kits

It only voids the warranty on anything that gets damaged by the HID kit or the HID kit installation. Some people have lost the Smart Junction Box and that would most likely not be covered.

Adjusting the factory headlamps will yield great improvements - they come aimed way too low.

• 3 weeks later...