Who Needs A Spare Tire?

flyerjmr33

Most all of the new luxury vehicles ar coming without a spare tire now. Thay are replacing the spare with the latest version of "run flat" tires or with a 12 volt air pump and a can of "flat fixer"---

On the Edge, not having a spare would give you enough storage space for lots of junk that there is now no room to carry! I own a 12 volt air pump and have some "flat fixer" and have now removed my spare, the jack and the lug wrench---

I haven't had need for a spare tire in many years and really don't see the need to carry one around anymore. :rockon: :shades:

Most all of the new luxury vehicles ar coming without a spare tire now. Thay are replacing the spare with the latest version of "run flat" tires or with a 12 volt air pump and a can of "flat fixer"---

On the Edge, not having a spare would give you enough storage space for lots of junk that there is now no room to carry! I own a 12 volt air pump and have some "flat fixer" and have now removed my spare, the jack and the lug wrench---

I haven't had need for a spare tire in many years and really don't see the need to carry one around anymore. :rockon: :shades:

I have heard from tire people that they hate it when users put that in the tire. I really have no idea how good or bad it may be for the wheel but before I used that on a car with the TPS I would ask if it can damage the sensors. Just my 1 1/2 cents

Keep the spare. My cousin's run flat blew out on him on a Friday afternoon. The place he was towed to didn't have the right size in stock, so he had to rent a car to get where he was going, and the shop was closed on Sunday, so he ended up renting the other car for a week. It was about a $600 ordeal between it all. Even a run flat can't run if it blows out.

Keep the spare. My cousin's run flat blew out on him on a Friday afternoon. The place he was towed to didn't have the right size in stock, so he had to rent a car to get where he was going, and the shop was closed on Sunday, so he ended up renting the other car for a week. It was about a $600 ordeal between it all. Even a run flat can't run if it blows out.

I'm not even considering runflats--- just going naked without a spare relying on the air pump and sealant. I haven't had a blowout in many years. Just an occasional flat caused by a slow leak from a nail, and that has always been in my garage. I simply have pumped the tire up and driven to the tire store for the fix.

Since I was a kid, I've traveled over a 1 million KM's in a car...maybe even 2 mill. I've only experienced 4-5 flat tires in that time frame. 2 of them were complete blowouts and unless "flat fixer" is also, "tire builder", its not going to fix a tire with a 6 inch chunk missing out of the sidewall, or an empty rim when your tire is in pieces somewhere on the highway. I would never run without a spare. If your in an urban area ALL OF THE TIME! I could see it, but still would never do it.

Trust me! You'll need your spare at the worse time. You'll be traveling to a friends cabin in the middle of BF nowhere and no cell phone reception when a metal chuck that fell off the deliverance pig boy's pickup gashes your tire. Then you'll be wishing you hadn't gained that 2cf of storage when you have to walk 10 miles to a phone and wait 6hrs for a tow truck. :banghead: "Why the $%&@ did I remove that @#$&'n spare!"

I'd like to add to also ensure you check that spare. Spend 10 min every 6-12 months and before any road trip to ensure its in good shape and has enough air. A tire isn't 100% sealed. Air does leak out and over a few years, if you don't re inflate it your spare is likely to low to even use. I changed an elderly couple's flat on the highway a few years ago that I even asked them to go to the other side of the car when I lowered it. The tire looked like it was on a WW1 jeep. It was rotten and gashed in a few places. I thought it was going to pop as soon as I put weight on it and the mini van only looked to be 5-6 years old and I was told it had never been used. It was one of the under the car spares though. That has to be the worst idea ever!

Also to add to bpattie's comment - I'm 99% sure it will mess up your TPMS useless if it gets on it.

Just my $.02 CAD :shades: