Touch Screen quality

AXCL

I've noticed that the middle of my touch screen seems loose. When I touch anywhere around the edges it seems firm, but near the middle it almost feels like you have to click the screen as it moves in when I press it. It also needs more pressure, like I have to move the outer coating into the inner screen to get my finger touch to register.

Does anyone else see / feel this as well?

I've noticed that the middle of my touch screen seems loose. When I touch anywhere around the edges it seems firm, but near the middle it almost feels like you have to click the screen as it moves in when I press it. It also needs more pressure, like I have to move the outer coating into the inner screen to get my finger touch to register.

I haven't noticed this on my Edge.

Are you pushing too hard??

This is a touch screen. I have found that you don't need to push to select the button. Just touch it. It's more critical to touch in correct location.

My screen requires variable pressure in order for the touches to register. In some cases I have to press very hard and it is not a case of insufficient waiting. I thought at first the harder to press times were a result of function but they may be related to screen location.

I have also experienced a great many presses whereby the pressed button doesn't activate the associated function but instead returns to one of the main screens, usually Climate. Those are not the result of pressing on the corners.

My screen requires variable pressure in order for the touches to register. In some cases I have to press very hard and it is not a case of insufficient waiting. I thought at first the harder to press times were a result of function but they may be related to screen location.

This sounds very similar to my issue. Its not that I'm pressing too hard. I can have my finger on the screen for 10 sec and nothing happens unless I press a bit harder. I then feel the top film move and it takes my command. This issue seems to be more prominent in the middle.

I haven't had issues where it loaded a different main screen, or at least haven't noticed it. I may have, but just thought it was my fault and ignored it. I'll pay attention to this as well.

I think I may pop by the dealership and test out another screen to see if I can notice a difference.

should the screen be very sensitive, i.e. very light touch gets it to work...like an Ipod? If so, mine is nowhere close to this sensitive. My wife's "gentle" touch, doesn't even register sometimes and I have to press the area for her.

I haven't looked yet...is there a sensitivity setting somewhere?

This sounds very similar to my issue. Its not that I'm pressing too hard. I can have my finger on the screen for 10 sec and nothing happens unless I press a bit harder. I then feel the top film move and it takes my command. This issue seems to be more prominent in the middle.

I haven't had issues where it loaded a different main screen, or at least haven't noticed it. I may have, but just thought it was my fault and ignored it. I'll pay attention to this as well.

I think I may pop by the dealership and test out another screen to see if I can notice a difference.

should the screen be very sensitive, i.e. very light touch gets it to work...like an Ipod? If so, mine is nowhere close to this sensitive. My wife's "gentle" touch, doesn't even register sometimes and I have to press the area for her.

I haven't looked yet...is there a sensitivity setting somewhere?

Mine is nothing like an ipod screen - but I have never felt the screen move - nor do I have to hold for 10 seconds.

IT's a touch screen. You need to touch the button in the correct place. The system may be slower that you like so be patient.

Here is a portion of the Touch manual...

Using the touch sensitive controls on your system

Your vehicle’s centerstack is equipped with touch sensitive switches for

your infotainment and climate control systems. To activate or deactivate

a feature, you need only touch the graphic with your finger.

For optimum performance of these touch sensitive controls,

please note the following:

The touch sensors are sensitive to light touch. You do not need to

apply forceful pressure on these controls to use them.

• Use your bare finger to touch the center of a touch control graphic.

Touching off-center of the graphic may cause nearby control to

activate/deactivate.

• Ensure that your hands are clean, dry and free of moisture.

• Since the touch control sensor operates based on the touch of a

finger, you may have trouble using them if you are wearing gloves.

• Metal and other conductive material should be kept away from the

surface of the touch controls as this may cause electronic interference

(i.e. control activation).

Introduction

6 See End User License Agreement at the end of this book

2011 HMI-

IT's a touch screen. You need to touch the button in the correct place. The system may be slower that you like so be patient.

Hi Wilsons66604,

Based on your profile, I'm assuming you're in IT, or at least a "power user" am I correct? I do understand why you continue to emphasize "Its a Touch Screen" and "Are you pressing too hard?", as end user ignorance is 90% of all helpdesk calls. But I would like to point out that the section of the manual you had quoted is for "Your vehicle’s centerstack" it is not for the touch screen. :doh:

I'm an IT Manager and have worked my way up from a computer store tech, so I've seen it all. I just wanted to clarify this as I've used 100's of different touch screens, but this is my first in car touch NAV. I've never had to press so hard on a touch screen before to get it to function. I know I'm using it correctly, I just don't know if it is the nature of this screen that it requires more pressure.

My first guess is that the touch screen membrane that covers the LCD was not applied correctly directly against the screen. It doesn't feel like its part of the screen, you can feel it as another layer on top.

I'm assuming that it should feel much like a portal TomTom or Gamin type GPS, is this correct?

Thanks!

From the feedback so far, it does seem that I need more pressure then most I'm not about to put my finger through the screen, however it doesn't seem like I should have to press as hard as I do. I've already contacted my dealer with regards to coming in to test out a few other screens they have on the lot to compare.

Hi Wilsons66604,

Based on your profile, I'm assuming you're in IT, or at least a "power user" am I correct? I do understand why you continue to emphasize "Its a Touch Screen" and "Are you pressing too hard?", as end user ignorance is 90% of all helpdesk calls. But I would like to point out that the section of the manual you had quoted is for "Your vehicle's centerstack" it is not for the touch screen. :doh:

I'm an IT Manager and have worked my way up from a computer store tech, so I've seen it all. I just wanted to clarify this as I've used 100's of different touch screens, but this is my first in car touch NAV. I've never had to press so hard on a touch screen before to get it to function. I know I'm using it correctly, I just don't know if it is the nature of this screen that it requires more pressure.

My first guess is that the touch screen membrane that covers the LCD was not applied correctly directly against the screen. It doesn't feel like its part of the screen, you can feel it as another layer on top.

I'm assuming that it should feel much like a portal TomTom or Gamin type GPS, is this correct?

Thanks!

From the feedback so far, it does seem that I need more pressure then most I'm not about to put my finger through the screen, however it doesn't seem like I should have to press as hard as I do. I've already contacted my dealer with regards to coming in to test out a few other screens they have on the lot to compare.

Good catch AXCL. I didn't notice that the text was referring to the center stack.

I do know that I don't need to press hard on my screen. Mine feels like my old TomTom.

Good catch AXCL. I didn't notice that the text was referring to the center stack.

I do know that I don't need to press hard on my screen. Mine feels like my old TomTom.

I'd like to be able to try out some other My_Touch screens cause mine requires some very firm touching indeed. Not everywhere nor every time perhaps but it's not a very touch friendly screen and I've used quite a few of them. I've got a service appointment coming up next week and I've asked them if there's any screen calibration possible. I'll report back what they say.

So no one else is experiencing touches that cause one of the main screens to appear instead of the intended function? That is starting to annoy me more than the variable pressure issue.

I tried pressing hard in the middle of the screen this morning and confirmed that my screen did not flex under the pressure.