Roof Rails Capacity

Hi

I am on cusp of buying a 2011 Edge SEL but need clarification as to how much weight the Roof Rails hold. Three different dealers have told me 3 different numbers. if I cannot carry two kayaks for a total weight (including rack attachments) of 120lbs then the vehicle is off my wish list.

I am not assuming that the 2011 is the same as the 2010 so if anyone actually knows the weight restriction I would be grateful.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am on cusp of buying a 2011 Edge SEL but need clarification as to how much weight the Roof Rails hold. Three different dealers have told me 3 different numbers. if I cannot carry two kayaks for a total weight (including rack attachments) of 120lbs then the vehicle is off my wish list.

I am not assuming that the 2011 is the same as the 2010 so if anyone actually knows the weight restriction I would be grateful.

Thanks

I have not been able to ascertain a weight number either. I opted for the factory installed rails but did not purchase the cross bars which are available at the parts counter. They mount on pre drilled holes in the rail and they didn't look like they could handle the weight of my ski box that is the size of a casket !!!!. (I used to mount the box on my Chevy Suburban). I talked to a guy at "Rack Attack" and asked him if he had ever heard of anyone ripping the factory rails off any manufacturers roof. He said no, and he's pushed the limits on his own vehicles many times. I purchased the Thule aerobars that clamp onto the factory rails and when installed with my ski bin... this thing is SOLID AS A ROCK. When my bin is loaded....it's at least 120 lbs and I'm not worried a bit. Good luck with whatever you decide :rockon:

• 3 months later...

Hi

Thanks

I own a 2010 Edge and want to carry 2 touring kayaks on the roof, preferably a Yakima Q system. Did you ever get any clarification, Kayaker?

• 8 months later...

I would take the edge off your list. We were very dissappointed when we found that our 2011 edge would only support 100 pounds. We now wish we wouldn't have bought it. A roof rack and our two 50 pound kayaks is over the limit. What a shame that Ford would build an SUV (same capacity for the Escape) or a crossover type vehicle which only supports 100 pounds on the roof.

Had I known prior to our purchase I would not have bought an edge. I would have bought an Outback or perhaps a traverse. They both would support even larger kayaks. I guess I should have done more homework but I never thought that this would be an issue with a cross over vehicle. For this reason I would not by another edge or for that fact probably not another ford. We then had to spend even more money to buy a kayak trailer and have to mess with pulling a trailer all the time. Very inconvenient! Also uses more gas pulling the trailer.

Good luck!

I would take the edge off your list. We were very dissappointed when we found that our 2011 edge would only support 100 pounds. We now wish we wouldn't have bought it. A roof rack and our two 50 pound kayaks is over the limit. What a shame that Ford would build an SUV (same capacity for the Escape) or a crossover type vehicle which only supports 100 pounds on the roof.

Had I known prior to our purchase I would not have bought an edge. I would have bought an Outback or perhaps a traverse. They both would support even larger kayaks. I guess I should have done more homework but I never thought that this would be an issue with a cross over vehicle. For this reason I would not by another edge or for that fact probably not another ford. We then had to spend even more money to buy a kayak trailer and have to mess with pulling a trailer all the time. Very inconvenient! Also uses more gas pulling the trailer.

Good luck!

Ford Explorer roof racks have always had a 100 lb limit going back to the 90s. Expeditions were 200 but that's because it's much bigger and the weight is spread out more evenly.

I'm pretty sure I've exceeded that limit in both an Explorer and Expedition with no problems but of course that's up to you.

• 7 years later...
On 3/20/2011 at 9:37 PM, DCkayak007 said:

I own a 2010 Edge and want to carry 2 touring kayaks on the roof, preferably a Yakima Q system. Did you ever get any clarification, Kayaker?

Was this actual limit ever determined?  I have 51# and 47# kayaks I'd like to transport on my 2011.