Front doors rain leak

bginsc

If I park my car outside and it rains, the next time I open either front door, a bunch of water splashes onto the ground. The exterior of the car is totally dry, but you can see beaded up water on the bottom of the door jam.

I suspect the water is getting in at the top of the door, at the seam between the front and rear doors... then it trickles down the outside edge of the weather stripping and pools on the door jam.- When I open the door, splat, the pooled water falls out onto the driveway. The rear doors have no similar problem.

Has anyone else encountered this? And whether my theory is correct or it's caused by something else - is there a fix?

2010, and one year.

I have a 2008; this has occurred since new.

Open the front doors, especially the passenger, after washing, and water pours out for a short while.

A design defect! Good idea to ensure lots of rust protection (e.g.) Rust Check, inside there.

Our 08 leads a pampered life.

Rarely spends any time parked in the rain (Texas).

But when it is in the rain we drive straight from where it was parked to our garage.

I’ve never noticed any water running out when we get out, so maybe it’s running out while in motion? :shrug:

ab

Wash water, rain water, any type of water that enters the door through the bottom of the window line, runs through the door and exits through several weep holes along the bottom of the door. When you open the door and break the seal with the weatherstripping it drains out. Its not a design flaw, every car door drains this way. Some hold more water than others. The Edge door is large so it stands to reason its going to hold more water than my Wifes Lexus or my MR2 compact. The inside of the doors are coated and painted to avoid rust and corrosion from the water that collects in and around the weep holes. Next time your washing your car, get down on your knees and look at the underside of the door, youll see the weep holes for drainage. Hope this alleviates your worries.

Wash water, rain water, any type of water that enters the door through the bottom of the window line, runs through the door and exits through several weep holes along the bottom of the door. When you open the door and break the seal with the weatherstripping it drains out. Its not a design flaw, every car door drains this way. Some hold more water than others. The Edge door is large so it stands to reason its going to hold more water than my Wifes Lexus or my MR2 compact. The inside of the doors are coated and painted to avoid rust and corrosion from the water that collects in and around the weep holes. Next time your washing your car, get down on your knees and look at the underside of the door, youll see the weep holes for drainage. Hope this alleviates your worries.

Unfortunately, no, I still have some concerns. It doesn't seem to be the weep holes, as the water seems to be building up on the sill and spills out when I open the door. So, how is it getting there? And why the last two rains, and never before... what changed? But, if this is indeed a weep hole issue, it seems weird. Why only the front doors? Plus, I've owned more cars than I care to count, and as far as I know they all had weep holes... but none dumped a Dixie cup worth of water on the ground when I open the door.

Is this a "real" problem? Only if it has a cumulative negative effect re: long-term rust and corrosion issues from water building up where it's not supposed to be. Other than that, it's an annoyance. I don't think anyone likes to have water dumped on their shoes when they open their seemingly dry car door. Plus, whether problem or annoyance, I dislike unexplained phenomena - which probably comes from being the son of an engineer.

Based on the posts on this topic, it seems some Edges have this issue and others don't. Go figure! My service advisor is intrigued, though, and wants to run some tests in their wash bay the next time I'm in for an oil change. If they find something definitive, I'll make sure to post it.

Edited by bginsc

Ask my wife if it is a design issue? One time, after a heavy rain and while it was still raining, she went to get into the passenger side in a bit of a hurry. There was so much water there that it splashed all over her feet and since she was wearing open toe type shoes, she was not a happy camper.

• 2 weeks later...

Worse than that, is cracking a window when it is raining. Water pours into the car. Next time it rains, observe how the water is channeled over the rear view mirrors. Last week, it rained so hard that I couldn't see anything on either rear view mirror, as the rain was channeled over the mirror, and onto the window glass. Not the best water management.