TPMS for 2011 Edge

I will be taking delivery of my 2011 Edge Ltd AWD soon. Snow will be coming soon to Ontario Canada and I want to get snow tires ready for installation. Canadian retailers still cant compete with Tire Rack prices (moreso cuz the dollar is almost at par). Question revolves around the decision to get TPMS sensors in the new snow tires or not. Previous posts on this subject were answered by members with older models that elected not to have them installed. Black electrical tape seemed to be the cure to block the annoying warning light on the dash. As you all know, the new vehicle has a new dash. Can you use the same trick on the 2011? I know the system is there for safety reasons, but I've been using a tire gauge to monitor my tire pressure for years. I just don't want to pay the extra 170.00 for the sensors, and I'm wondering whether or not the the unit in the vehicle has to be reset ever spring and fall when you switch from winter to summer tires (both on there own set of rims). If so, is the dealer going to charge me 50.00 + -, to recalibrate the system each change?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks Shaky

Well now this is an interesting question. I'm also in Ontario and have ordered tires with TPMS sensors already. I take delivery of my truck within the next 2-3 weeks.

One thing I did find out about the TPMS sensors is that its a new "Valve stem" style system, not the bands like the 2010 Edge. If this requires recalibration... I'm not going to bother with the sensors. The whole point to getting rims & sensors is so I can swap the tires on my own. Now my winter RIMS will be 17" and the factory ones are 18" ... does this affect things?

Can anyone confirm these details for the 2011 Edge?

Hi guys. :D These are multiple answer questions.

So first: If you have two different sets of wheels/tires, each with their own TPMS sensors, then you do need to reprogram/calibrate each set of wheels/sensors when you switch them on and off each season. However, you can purchase the reprogramming tool for about $20 and do it yourself. It is a very simple procedure, takes about 5 minutes.

If a vehicle owner has two sets of wheels/tires, but only one set has the TPMS sensors, then they will get a TPMS warning light when the set with no TPMS sensors is mounted on the vehicle (after they drive the minimum distance needed to trigger the system). However, once a set of wheels/tires with the TPMS sensors has been programmed/calibrated, the TPMS system will still remember that set of sensors/wheels when they are remounted next time and they will not need to be programmed/calibrated.

Essentially, the vehicles TPMS system "remembers"/holds the programming of the last set of sensors that was programmed into it. So you can take that set of wheels on and off freely and the vehicles TPMS system will remember it, since no other set of sensors was programmed/calibrated into the system.

Wheel size, or whether the wheels are 17", 18", 19" etc. does not affect the system programming or operation.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

YOU SIR ARE A STAR!

Yes it does help me! If its a one-time setup on my spare rims, that means no extra work for me switching it out each winter. So the extra set of sensors is worth it.

Well not really, you will still need to reprogram the sensors every time you switch the tires (so twice a year). But as bbf states, it's very easy.

To your original question though, if you're winter tires come with band-style sensors, they will not work on the 2011 Edge.

YOU SIR ARE A STAR!

Yes it does help me! If its a one-time setup on my spare rims, that means no extra work for me switching it out each winter. So the extra set of sensors is worth it.

Hi oakville. :D Sorry if my reply was a bit confusing/unclear. Let me try again: The TPMS system on the car can only remember one (the last) set of sensors that were programmed into memory. So if both your "summer" and "winter" wheels have sensors, you will need to reprogram the TPMS system once in the spring and once in the fall when you switch wheels, otherwise you will get a low pressure or error warning.

However, if you purchase the reprogramming/training tool (available for about $20-$30), it is only a five minute job to reprogram the sensors yourself each spring and fall.

If you don't have sensors on one set of wheels (for the sake of this explanation, let's say you only have sensors on the summer wheels), you will not need to reprogram the summer wheel sensors when you reinstall them in the summer. However, you will get a TPMS warning light all winter long while the winter wheels are on (as HalBran mentioned).

In addition, as Waldo mentioned you need to be sure that the sensors on the winter wheels you purchase are "valve-type". The 2008-2009 model year sensors were "band-type". 2010-2011 Fusions/Milan/MKZ's use valve-type and they are not owner interchangeable.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi oakville. :D Sorry if my reply was a bit confusing/unclear. Let me try again: The TPMS system on the car can only remember one (the last) set of sensors that were programmed into memory. So if both your "summer" and "winter" wheels have sensors, you will need to reprogram the TPMS system once in the spring and once in the fall when you switch wheels, otherwise you will get a low pressure or error warning.

However, if you purchase the reprogramming/training tool (available for about $20-$30), it is only a five minute job to reprogram the sensors yourself each spring and fall.

If you don't have sensors on one set of wheels (for the sake of this explanation, let's say you only have sensors on the summer wheels), you will not need to reprogram the summer wheel sensors when you reinstall them in the summer. However, you will get a TPMS warning light all winter long while the winter wheels are on (as HalBran mentioned).

In addition, as Waldo mentioned you need to be sure that the sensors on the winter wheels you purchase are "valve-type". The 2008-2009 model year sensors were "band-type". 2010-2011 Fusions/Milan/MKZ's use valve-type and they are not owner interchangeable.

Okay, I think I get this. So its actually the truck that needs to be reprogrammed to deal with the different set of sensors. Where do I buy this tool from? What is it called?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just switched to winter tires and decided not to mount the TPMS on them. I'm getting the error message every time I start the car, and YES, it is anoying !!! Any way I can remove this error message permanently, even if it requires to deactivate the TPMS altogether?

thanks !

Don't forget to put a piece (square) of electrical tape over the small warning light you can't remove. Presto problem solved with no visual distractions on the display

Edited by Shaky

Well I went to a local dealer asking about the TPMS reset tool. They sold me one for $ 30.

I'm not sure if its the right thing, these guys didn't seem like they necessarily knew what it was. I'll find out next week once my tires come in.

Keep us posted. I was wondering where that little elf has been hiding.