Factory Hitch & Wiring

OK... so I went out and purchased the "factory" hitch and wiring harness (MKX) before I checked it out here in the forum.... May have been a big mistake, I am running into issues and yes some of the aftermarket parts look much easier to install. I have run into a roadblock on the wiring (see below) but will keep you updated as it is resolved.

1. The Class II Hitch..... Yes, it's a tough install. The hitch come complete with a new rear bumper, so the entire rear bumper cover & bumper must be removed. It's not to bad, maybe took me an hour to remove. Afterwards, just install the new bumper/hitch and the cover is replaced. Couple things... putting the bumper cover back on is tedious. It's tough to fit correctly around the tail lights, but a little patience and stick with it... it does go back on, and looks correct. YES, you do have to cut a small portion out of the lower bumper cover. If you do a good job, the result is MUCH better than the aftermarket kits that I have seen. The small receiver is VERY discreet and when you are not towing, you will not even know it's there. I was very happy with the looks when done - did not look like a tow truck!!

2. The wiring.... as stated everywhere... the kit does NOT come with directions. Internet directions that require a FORD user and password are labeled on the box. Upon asking the guy at ford behind the counter, he had no clue how to get them. He tried and was trying to be helpful but needed a day to get help getting them. So... off to Google, my best friend.... and there is nothing on the net about installing the FACTORY wiring kit. So this is where I am... I'm not going to do it without directions, I've checked the wiring and none of the color coding makes any sense. Of note... when I looked up the part number (from Ford), it said it would work with the factory plug - no splicing wires. Looking at my part - I just don't see how that is possible - something is gonna get cut somewhere. I may end up with one of the other aftermarket harnesses that "snap" into the lights, but that means I "eat" the factory harness as my local dealer will NOT accept returns.

So.. I'm not unhappy. I really like the look (or lack there of..) of the factory hitch, but the wiring is unresolved.

I'm not in a hurry, and I will get it done, but I'm slightly ticked at my local dealer for not being more customer driven... after all, I'm paying twice as much as everyone else on here that installed the aftermarket kits in half the time or less... :(

Let me know if you would like to see pics...

Over and out....

Hit the Ford Dealer this afternoon and picked up the printed instructions.... They are good, very thorough. Also spoke with the mechanic, he said he installs tons of them and only take an hour total... basically the same as many of the aftermarket kits. The box installs right behind the drivers tail light. Will install early next week and post update....

• 2 weeks later...

Hit the Ford Dealer this afternoon and picked up the printed instructions.... They are good, very thorough. Also spoke with the mechanic, he said he installs tons of them and only take an hour total... basically the same as many of the aftermarket kits. The box installs right behind the drivers tail light. Will install early next week and post update....

After seeing this I am glad I got my Edge with the Towing Package. Doesn't look all that bad except for the fact that you have to do a lot of disassembly. I have installed these type accessories from Ford before and they are usually very good quality and work correctly when they are installed. At least you will get real familiar with your Edge :wacko: :yup: .

Edited by curlysir

What a dick! I asked a simple question and you had to be a dick.

Yeah I'm a dick, I took time out to search and find the instructions; post the pdf file so people can benefit. I guess that makes me a dick. My only obvious fault here was cracking a funny with you.

• Like 1

Hey guys, Cmon.

NextTime, you didnt ask if he took pictures of the installation. He probably didnt, and if he did, you didnt ask that question.

Bender, Maybe the remark came off as funny but lost something in the translation to a forum blog....

Listen were all here to help each other by posting our tips and info to for one another. Lets all get a long.:shift:

Edited by Edgieguy

• 2 weeks later...