Towing: What can it actually pull?

I'm considering an Edge and require it to pull my trailer. It weighs 1400lbs (6'x10' enclosed), and I occasionally will have 1000lbs in there. Can the Edge pull it? The towing option says 3500lbs (class II hitch), but I'm skeptical. I see that little 1"x1" receptical under the bumper and it makes me nervous.

Do you think there will be a problem? There is no switch to turn off the overdrive like my F150, so I'm wondering if the transmission will be able to handle it - especially on hills and head winds.

I'm considering an Edge and require it to pull my trailer. It weighs 1400lbs (6'x10' enclosed), and I occasionally will have 1000lbs in there. Can the Edge pull it? The towing option says 3500lbs (class II hitch), but I'm skeptical. I see that little 1"x1" receptical under the bumper and it makes me nervous.

Do you think there will be a problem? There is no switch to turn off the overdrive like my F150, so I'm wondering if the transmission will be able to handle it - especially on hills and head winds.

The Class II hitch is fine, even if its just 1.25 in x 1.25 in. You may have to buy a specific tow bar and ball as many for that size arent usable at that weight due to their shape given the rating. The 2400# +/- should be within the 3500# rating assuming your tow bar and ball are reasonable. I was checking out the tow bars the other day as the one i have for a 1.25" hole is only 2000# rated due to its shape.

As for the gearing, there is a low setting and an overdrive off button (driver side of the gear shifter handle). I have yet to use these functions, but know they are there when i get around to towing stuff. So far i havent had anything to tow, but that could change in a few months when we rent a uhaul trailer for some stuff - or we might buy a small trailer for home depot trips and such when needed instead.

Given the greater range of tow or hitch mountable devices that work with the 2" receiver i would have prefered to have it, but that wouldnt be a class II then it would be a class III/IV which is meant for towing larger stuff than the little trailer you want to use.

Edited by sim

The Class II hitch is fine, even if its just 1.25 in x 1.25 in. You may have to buy a specific tow bar and ball as many for that size arent usable at that weight due to their shape given the rating. The 2400# +/- should be within the 3500# rating assuming your tow bar and ball are reasonable. I was checking out the tow bars the other day as the one i have for a 1.25" hole is only 2000# rated due to its shape.

As for the gearing, there is a low setting and an overdrive off button (driver side of the gear shifter handle). I have yet to use these functions, but know they are there when i get around to towing stuff. So far i havent had anything to tow, but that could change in a few months when we rent a uhaul trailer for some stuff - or we might buy a small trailer for home depot trips and such when needed instead.

Given the greater range of tow or hitch mountable devices that work with the 2" receiver i would have prefered to have it, but that wouldnt be a class II then it would be a class III/IV which is meant for towing larger stuff than the little trailer you want to use.

Thanks for the info. When its in "L" is that first gear?

Thanks for the info. When its in "L" is that first gear?

I think it might allow for 1st and 2nd, but i cant say for sure, i havent used it yet and only glanced at it in the manual - maybe someone else could help you with that.

Personally i wouldnt push the limits on any towing, even though the hitch and such has a factor of safety engineering into it, i still wouldnt tow much over 3000# even though its rated at 3500#.

I think it might allow for 1st and 2nd, but i cant say for sure, i havent used it yet and only glanced at it in the manual - maybe someone else could help you with that.

Personally i wouldnt push the limits on any towing, even though the hitch and such has a factor of safety engineering into it, i still wouldnt tow much over 3000# even though its rated at 3500#.

I'm sure it's like the Fusion - L still shifts gears but it keeps the RPM around 4K without shifting and provides engine braking. If you have the O/D button that probably locks out 5th and 6th gear.

I have a 17 foot 99 Nitro Tracker. I was wandering if the Edge could handle it in tow. That was honestly the only thing keeping me from making the purchase! So, you think i'll be fine? I assume you got the class II towing package. Is there anything else i need to get?

Thanks.

I have a 17 foot 99 Nitro Tracker. I was wandering if the Edge could handle it in tow. That was honestly the only thing keeping me from making the purchase! So, you think i'll be fine? I assume you got the class II towing package. Is there anything else i need to get?

Thanks.

My $0.02 worth is that if you are towing on the flat terrain, on short hops to the water, with shallow slope boat ramps, things ought to be pretty good. Other than that, I think you would be pushing your luck for any longevity. You would be at the upper limit of the stated capabilities. You might want to weigh you boat/motor/trailer, ready to go with all the stuff in it, and a full tank. Go to a truck scale, unhitch and set it on the bow caster. You might be surprised at the actual weight of the rig.

Thanks.

Yes, I have the 3500# towing package. I'm going to tow the boat to upstate NY in a couple of weeks, That will be about 1300mi round trip. From the experience I had pulling the boat to the lake here, I don't think it will be a problem.

Edited by kmac

• 7 months later...

I pull two ATVs and total weight to include trailer is almost 2,000#. I pull up some steep hills and it has no problem with the towing package.

I know this is not what you wanted, but, it doesn't even downshift more than it normally would over the same route. You should have no problem.

Marv

• 6 years later...

I have a 2011 Edge AWD Limited and am considering buying a camp trailer. The trailer weighs 2400lbs dry, puts 230lbs on the hitch. I really want to buy the trailer but I live in Denver and would wind up taking the thing over the pass. With high altitude and long climbs, do you think the Edge can hang or do you think this is just asking for trouble?