Retrosolution's 2011 Ford Edge Sport HID Kit

Since I've seen a few posts from people asking about the 9012 (2011 Ford Edge Sport) HID kit currently offered from Retrosolutions.com, I'll go ahead and give my experience:

Quick facts:

- I have a 2011 Ford Edge Sport

- I bought the following kit that was recommended by Retrosolutions: http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/the-480/DIGITAL-HID-XENON-CONVERSION/Detail

- I have installed 9 different HID Kits in the past that include a Mazda3, Cobalt, Escape, Camaro, and Civic.

- Take a look at the photos and compare the tab pattern of Retrosolution's bulb(diagram picture) and the tab pattern of my bulb.

Installation:

I couldn't get the kit's bulb to fit perfect, flush, or reasonably secure into the housing/socket. Retrosolution's tab pattern simply doesn't match my sport's tab pattern. I would accept two tabs fitting, but for the price they charge, only one tab being able to fit doesn't make sense. When securing only one tab into the socket, it results in the bulb to sit slightly crooked, which can possibly lead to aiming issues.

Conclusion:

I'm currently discussing the issue with their customer service, but it seems that I'm the only one to report the issue with the 2011 Sport's. I could have made a mistake on my part as far as installation is concerned, but I doubt it since I've installed a few kits on different vehicles. In my opinion, their kit requires cutting to make it fit, which is what they advertise as "not needed." Like I mentioned, I'm still discussing the issue with them, but I'll provide updates as soon as I get them. I'm just trying to save members from possible headaches, unless they want to try give it a try and make it fit. I'm hoping someone does, just for my sake.

As a side note, the kit does seem to be good quality, and their customer service reply's have been within a reasonable time frame. I'm not putting down the company or their kit's, but I would hold off before purchasing their 9012 kit for a 2011 Sport model. I can't speak for any other models.

post-10899-053110000 1290504792_thumb.jpg

post-10899-063211100 1290504809_thumb.jpg

Edited by bboytails

I dont have the retrosolutions kit.. but i installed the DDM kit (with the wiring harness) and i modified the bulb by shaving off the tab on the right. The bulb fits in the housing theres little no play.

Can u take pics on where u mounted the ballasts?

Edited by jsabia85

ill take some tomorrow. But i mounted them on the side of the headlight with 3M double sided tape (they are the slim ballast)

Is it a tight fit? DO you think the regular ballasts can fit?

How many screws hold the headlight in place? I was looking at it and only saw 2 or 3. Do you have to remove the front grill in order to remove the headlights?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you get your hid kit installed yet?

I just installed my Retro-Solutions kit last night and it all seems to be working good. I have DRL's and the lights set to "auto on" and there has been no issues. It has only been a minimal amount of time for a trial period but they seem to work. I ordered the 9012 35W 6000K with the edge specific kit. I live in Canada and the kit took 7 business days to arrive, even during the holidays. The kit is simple to install. Total time was 45 minutes which included a quick drive to see how they look. I am not an electrician or a computer guy by any means and it was quick and painless. I will keep posting updates to see if there are any issues. Highly recommended as of date....

Based upon the photo published earlier it looks like the HID bulbs are not ideal for this application in that the scatter is unreasonable and the high beam pattern is way out of compliance with any existing standard for uniformity and shape. It all looks like the point of light in the bulb is not properly located. Perhaps this is why such conversions are not recommended by anyone in the lighting industry.

My 2007 has H09 bulbs in place of the H11's for the low beam. Twice as bright and in perfect focus. For the high beams I have HIR 9011's, again, twice as bright as the Ford supplied 9005's and in perfect focus. A far better solution than HID's in a housing not designed for them.

Edited by Feirstein

• 2 weeks later...

"you must be referring to H9 bulbs, and not only are they marginally more luminous, they are no way near twice as bright unless you are running higher wattage bulbs. The pitfall is a general half the lifespan in comparison for only 18% increase in wattage and lack of masking on the bulb envelope."

The pre-2011 Edges used H11 bulbs for the low beam that used 50 watts and put out 1200 lumens. My recommendation is to switch to away from the OEM H11 bulbs for that function is the new and hard to find H9 bulb which used 65 watts and puts out 2100 lumens. This is almost twice the output at a far lower price than a HID low beam conversion which does not conform to approved lighting standards in North America or Europe or Asia, no matter what any vender says to the contrary. The lack of a painted end masking on the H9 is not an issue since the Edge's OEM housing is fully shielded to prevent glare. :shades:

The 9012 bulb is a low beam HIR technology bulb putting out 1870 lumens. This is a superb bulb. If it is not bright enough for a 2011 Edge owner it can be upgraded to a 9011 HIR bulb putting out 2350 lumens, the highest output bulb out there that uses only 65 watts and that has a reasonably long life. It has the exact same filament position as the 9012 bulb so that it is in perfect focus in the Ford Edge housing.

So why the massive marketing and buyer attraction of illegal HID kits of questionable function? Beats me. :wacko:

Edited by Feirstein

• 3 weeks later...

Although there are several folks over in those forums that have had some issues and care not to have us help them or follow direction so that we can assist them as fast and accurately as possible, we do stand behind our product and clients. While there is some noise going on there we are not exactly proud of, please understand that out of the tens of thousands of folks that purchased through the forums, there will be some unfortunate folks that will have a warranty issue out of those numbers, and some chose not to seek replacement/assistance or follow recommendation for their specific vehicles. We had a very long time presence on the forums before leaving due to new ownership, and very very many clients, but if ever a problem we'll work with any of our clients to resolve it. We have even put into place a new procedure for those clients that have an unfortunate issue to make those problems as seamless as possible.

However, give us a call and ask us what you need to know to make your decision either way, we'd be glad to help no matter which way you go.

(860) 655-2501

I am from Driveaccord,

Please don't try to put the blame on the people once again. Driveaccord has a whole thread dedicated to you and your company. There are currently 6 pages, I highly doubt that an ongoing discussion of 6 pages is "just nothing". In addition, I have emailed you 2 times, in the past couple of weeks regarding my HID ballasts or bulbs that do not work and keep going off, you still have not answered and are blatantly ignoring me. Others have tried contacting you as well, but you ignore. You were on Driveaccord on Wednesday, yet you never answered or commented in the thread to help people out with their problems, you just ignore once again.

In addition, you set yourself appart from the competition by stating that you have "Lifetime Warranty", to me Sir that is, excuse my French, Horse-shit. How is one supposed to get their so called "Lifetime Warranty" when you do not answer and repeatedly ignore people?

Every time someone has a problem, it is never your ballasts or your items, it has always been the users fault, which I dont believe is true. In addition I highly doubt your HID's are German made, high quality as you call them, or else they wouldn't be flickering and causing trouble.

Why did you run away from Driveaccord? Is that a correct way to deal with peoples problems? You ran away from Driveaccord and became a sponsor on the Ford Forums thinking we wouldn't find you?

Your products are nothing but made in China I suppose, this guy here had trouble with your wiring harness and had to drive home with his parking lights:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?37372-Lights-don-t-turn-on-or-turn-on-and-then-off&p=375541#post375541

Your lifetime warranty has become common even on ebay now, not because the kits are so amazing, but because, like you, sellers can purchase kits form China for a very low price, and can afford to give out a free one when the customer complains that it failed. This pretty much outlines everything:

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9101995&postcount=20

I, once again, want my warranty that you promise, but you run away from. I am informing people as so they will not fall into your "trap" as you call it.

Edited by Mtlaccord

I am from Driveaccord,

Please don't try to put the blame on the people once again. Driveaccord has a whole thread dedicated to you and your company. There are currently 6 pages, I highly doubt that an ongoing discussion of 6 pages is "just nothing". In addition, I have emailed you 2 times, in the past couple of weeks regarding my HID ballasts or bulbs that do not work and keep going off, you still have not answered and are blatantly ignoring me. Others have tried contacting you as well, but you ignore. You were on Driveaccord on Wednesday, yet you never answered or commented in the thread to help people out with their problems, you just ignore once again.

In addition, you set yourself appart from the competition by stating that you have "Lifetime Warranty", to me Sir that is, excuse my French, Horse-shit. How is one supposed to get their so called "Lifetime Warranty" when you do not answer and repeatedly ignore people?

Every time someone has a problem, it is never your ballasts or your items, it has always been the users fault, which I dont believe is true. In addition I highly doubt your HID's are German made, high quality as you call them, or else they wouldn't be flickering and causing trouble.

Why did you run away from Driveaccord? Is that a correct way to deal with peoples problems? You ran away from Driveaccord and became a sponsor on the Ford Forums thinking we wouldn't find you?

Your products are nothing but made in China I suppose, this guy here had trouble with your wiring harness and had to drive home with his parking lights:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?37372-Lights-don-t-turn-on-or-turn-on-and-then-off&p=375541#post375541

Your lifetime warranty has become common even on ebay now, not because the kits are so amazing, but because, like you, sellers can purchase kits form China for a very low price, and can afford to give out a free one when the customer complains that it failed. This pretty much outlines everything:

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9101995&postcount=20

I, once again, want my warranty that you promise, but you run away from. I am informing people as so they will not fall into your "trap" as you call it.

thanks for that infos. i see xd gives 2 relay harness. is this better than one relay harness?