AWD or FWD

ESL12

I live in Long Island NY and on occasion we get hit with a big 12+ storm but id say on average we may get 2-6 Inchs of snow.....

2 other possible factors, first Is resale. Which of the two versions would have better resale, that may make the expense not quite as much in the long run. Second, is that Besides being better in snow, in my opinion it is also better on ice.

True, AWD will bring more value upon resale, will be better in snow than FWD, and AWD will also provide better traction on wet roads ( rain), and also loose pavement ie country gravel roads. AWD will give less mpg, make ther car a bit heavier, it;s a choice you have ti make yourself, I live in central NJ, and would not be without 1 AWD vehicle. To confuse you even more, lets go back 25 years - how many

AWD vehicles were there ??? We all survived, and backthen, there weren't even all that many FWD vehicles !

We went AWD because it's only 1mpg difference on avg and our 07 was unbelievably great in the snow so why change a good thing? Im sure the FWD will be good but the AWD is just plain great in heavy snow. You need to allow a little extra stopping room for the 22s if you get the Sport though but the 18s on our previous SEL were fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

AWD increases the intial cost of the vehicle. It increases the cost of insurance. It increases the cost of repairs initially and over the lifetime of the vehicle. It reduces fuel economy both because of the awd system itself but also the increased weight which is completely unused until you reach a low traction situation or stab the throttle hard enough to induce the system to send power to the rear wheels to reduce torque steer. You might be thinking I'm slamming awd, not so, I own it myself. The thing is if you dont use it its a mistake buying it. The slightly increased resale value will not offset your buy in. In my case I do have some need of it so I'm willing to pay. If I lived somewhere else, not a chance.

"which is completely unused until you reach a low traction situation or stab the throttle hard enough to induce the system"

Not completely true. If you switch to the display where it shows which wheels are using power it is primarily front wheel but even a little push of the accelerator adds power the rear, no need to full on slam it. I agree though that if I didn't have the white stuff to deal with, it'd be FWD all the way.