Paddle Shifters

I haven't used them yet in the almost 2 months I've owned my 2011 Edge Sport.

I honestly don't know why I'd want to use them, either.

-steve

well if you are not going to "sport drive" then it may depend more on he terrain where you drive. I don't sport drive but do drive in the mountains and even areas in Colorado where you are climbing hills. I have the limited, but the select shift is very nice when climbing hills and you don't want the fully auto, upshifting and downshifting all the time depending on the grade.

Contrary to popular belief, they are not a substitute for a true manual transmission. They're most useful for holding a lower gear when driving through the twisties or forcing an early upshift for better fuel economy. It just gives you more control over the automatic which can some in handy sometimes.

I actually just played around with the paddles the other night. I wanted to wait until I had the engine broken in a little (1300 mi). Theyre very responsive and they hold the gear you put the car in. I was impressed and it was pretty fun. I wont be using them on every commute, but i can see the fun in pulling the paddle and slamming the pedal to pass a slow moving truck. :rockon:

well if you are not going to "sport drive" then it may depend more on he terrain where you drive. I don't sport drive but do drive in the mountains and even areas in Colorado where you are climbing hills. I have the limited, but the select shift is very nice when climbing hills and you don't want the fully auto, upshifting and downshifting all the time depending on the grade.

That makes sense, given the absence of the usual 1 and 2 drive positions on an automatic. I haven't yet found myself doing hilly terrain that would warrant using the manual mode.

-steve

Coming from a G35 i'm used to near-instantaneous throttle response. The G had paddle shifters but never used them due to awesome auto. Obviously don't have that with the Edge Sport but I do find that I use the paddles occasionally when doing highway maneuvers such as merge/on-ramps. I find you need to work the Edge tranny a little more to prevent quick upshifts that rob that torque.

They do work nicely once you get used to the concept. Wouldn't really use them for stop/go traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

If you use them for a pass how do you get the system to go back into automatic mode again? Ive only been able to shift to M and then back to D

According to the OM:

Paddle shifters (Sport)

The paddle shifters allow you to shift gears quickly, without taking your

hands off the steering wheel. Temporary manual control is provided when

pulling the paddles with the gearshift in the D (Drive) position. The system

will determine when temporary manual control is no longer desired and

reverts back to automatic control. Extensive manual control can be

achieved by moving the shifter to the M (Manual) position. The system will

stay in manual control until the shifter is moved out of the manual position.

How it determines that temporary manual control is no longer needed isn't explained but it does confirm that it reverts automatically at some point without user intervention. Of course shifting to M and back to D will do it more quickly.

According to the OM:

How it determines that temporary manual control is no longer needed isn't explained but it does confirm that it reverts automatically at some point without user intervention. Of course shifting to M and back to D will do it more quickly.

Im assuming that this is not working in my vehicle right now. Ive used the paddles and then come to a stop and the Edge certainly didnt want to start off in 5M. It was WAY after the temporary shifting had taken place... so Shift to M shift to D, drove off.

After I have my software updated, Ill have to try again and edit this post.