Weird issues??

bhazard1

I have a 2011 MKX with adaptive cruise control, not sure if my issues are related to this option or not but they happen with adaptive cruise off.

Just wondering if anyone else feels their vehicle slow down ever so slightly by itself after releasing their foot off the gas? It is really noticeable going 80 to 100 km/h when you take your foot off the gas it feels like it should when you're coasting for about 2 seconds and then you can feel the vehicle ever so slightly slow down. It is almost as if the vehicle shifts down from say 6th to 5th, but It happens when I have the transmission in manual mode as well so I know that is not the case.

I've also had the brakes apply more when I've kept a constant pressure on the pedal, for example I have the brakes applied at 30% or so and then feel them apply to 60% or so without varying the pressure on the pedal. This has only happened once to me but another person who took the car for a ride commented on how it seemed the car applied some braking for them as well. Anyone else having the same "issues". I keep thinking to myself maybe I'm losing it and I'm pretty sure when I take it in to the dealer and mention it they'll think I have!

I have an 11 MKX with the Adaptive Cruise too, and noticed the same thing. i just figured the MKX was trying to keep me from rear-ending someone.

I think the truth lies in an Autoblog article titled "2011 Lincoln MKX gets 19/26 MPG ratings, Ford claims best-in-class" on 7/7/10. Amongst other things, it mentions the following:

"Ford was able to crank up ponies while also ratcheting up efficiency by adding twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) to its 3.7-liter V6 engine. TI-VCT enables a larger torque-curve while also improving power by 10 percent and efficiency by 4.5 percent versus an engine without the technology. The 3.7-liter engine, which is also available on the 2011 Mustang and the 2011 Edge Sport, also utilizes aggressive deceleration fuel shutoff to further increase efficiency. Basically, the engine shuts down whenever the driver doesn't need engine torque."

So, it sounds like it's your MKX going into fuel saver-mode and shutting the engine down.

I thought I had read something about how the alternator only engages during deceleration, but I can't find that article anymore. Maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

I wondered about the engine shutting down when there is no accelerator input and if that may be the cause. This should be happening throughout the whole platform if that is the case, hopefully others will chime in. The thing that concerns me more is the vehicle determining the amount of braking I need. I'm OK with it when adaptive cruise is on but not OK with it when I'm supposed to be in control.

I'm with johnd01, I don't think your vehicle is changing your braking at all, it's just the decel control of the engine that's a feeling you're not used to.

Have you ever driven manual transmission cars on a regular basis?

Edited by Waldo

I'm with johnd01, I don't think your vehicle is changing your braking at all, it's just the decel control of the engine that's a feeling you're not used to.

Have you ever driven manual transmission cars on a regular basis?

Driven many manual transmission vehicle and haven't noticed anything similar. The service manager thinks it may be the torque converter that I'm feeling, he's going to hook up the computer to it and take it for a spin and see what is engaging/disengaging a couple seconds after letting off the accelerator.