Transmission Fluid Level

jihadly

I have a 2007 Edge with 45K miles on it. At @ 35K miles I had the dealer flush and refill the transmission fluid. At that time they commented to me when we picked it up that the fluid level was too high. In checking the fluid level prior to that change I noted that the level indicator indicated that it was minimally filled and I put about 3/4 of a quart in to get the level to indicate that it was adequately filled. I was surprised by their comment and I even checked the level after the dealer did their flush/refill and found that it also showed minimal or underfill at that time. Now at 45K miles I'm getting the same indication. I put 8 ozs. of fluid in and it barely moves the indicator (still minimally or underfilled indication). What I'm wondering is if other owners have had this same experience and what they concluded about it. Thanks

I have a 2007 Edge with 45K miles on it. At @ 35K miles I had the dealer flush and refill the transmission fluid. At that time they commented to me when we picked it up that the fluid level was too high. In checking the fluid level prior to that change I noted that the level indicator indicated that it was minimally filled and I put about 3/4 of a quart in to get the level to indicate that it was adequately filled. I was surprised by their comment and I even checked the level after the dealer did their flush/refill and found that it also showed minimal or underfill at that time. Now at 45K miles I'm getting the same indication. I put 8 ozs. of fluid in and it barely moves the indicator (still minimally or underfilled indication). What I'm wondering is if other owners have had this same experience and what they concluded about it. Thanks

A simple trip to the dealer should remedy this. A tech will be able to tell you if you need to add anything and how much

Hi jihadly. :D In addition to the good advice tpm offered, I would ask this (sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but it needs to be asked): Are you checking the transmission fluid level correctly by following the instructions in your Owners Manual? There are detailed instructions in the Owners Manual which need to be followed to obtain an accurate reading. For example, you need to check trans fluid with the engine running and warmed up. In addition, prior to checking the fluid you also need to shift through the gears (PRNDL etc.), holding each gear for a specified time period with your foot on the brake.

If you are not following those directions, you will get an inaccurate reading. If that is the case, read your Owners Manual and check the fluid level again using the proper instructions.

As I stated previously, seems like a dumb question, but we have run into this situation in the past.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Tom and beerchug. Thanks for taking the time to address my issue. Sounds like it isn't a pervasive problem with the Edge's. Yes, I am following the manual procedures strictly for checking the fluid. And I'm trying to avoid the inconveniece of a trip to the dealer. If you have any other thoughts, let me know. Thanks

• 4 months later...

Hi Tom and beerchug. Thanks for taking the time to address my issue. Sounds like it isn't a pervasive problem with the Edge's. Yes, I am following the manual procedures strictly for checking the fluid. And I'm trying to avoid the inconveniece of a trip to the dealer. If you have any other thoughts, let me know. Thanks

Maybe the dip stick needs to be re-calibrated. I've never heard of it needing to be re-calibrated on a car but on motorhomes with diesel engines it sometimes has to be done because of the various ways a diesel can be installed in a motorhome.

Edited by 11Edge

• 3 years later...

How do you re-calibrate the stick? I just checked my tranny fluid, drove home from work 18 miles, turned the car off but then on again, shifted in to each gear then checked. Maybe I'm unsure how to read the dipstick when holding it vertical the fluid sits below the Min mark but there IS some fluid covering the regular mark (x's).

I attached a picture of the dipstick (the picture was taken while holdng the distick vertical). the middle (normal level) DOES have fluid on it but the bulk of the fluid is below the MIN mark.

If the dipstick should be read horizontal then that might explain the false negative but I am not sure. I don't think the manual does a great job explaining.

post-28810-0-24956900-1403570318_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you may want to add some more fluid and recheck.

If it looks too high when you check again, just drain some fluid out.

I did this all the time on my Mariner, haven't on the Edge yet, and it was pretty easy to read the fluid level so you may be overthinking it.