Handling improvements

OK, I love the Edge. Great vehicle. However, I want to increase the feedback to the steering wheel and improve handling. Any ideas on where I can start? Or is there just nothing on the market to get me goin?

Handling is what I'm all about.

Not much you can do about feedback - that's the steering system itself and that's not easily changed.

For better handling, lowering and stiffening the suspension will help but at the expense of ride quality (to a degree). Also upgrading the tires to a high performance summer or all season tire will help a lot.

Also larger wheels with lower profile tires, should provide some more feel, due to the reduced sidewall flex.

Hopefully those that have made the change to larger wheels already, will chime in with their results.

That's true up to a point - that point being around 19". 20" and larger are for looks only. You also need to take into account unsprung weight. Heavier wheels will hurt acceleration and handling.

OK, I love the Edge. Great vehicle. However, I want to increase the feedback to the steering wheel and improve handling. Any ideas on where I can start? Or is there just nothing on the market to get me goin?

Handling is what I'm all about.

copperhead....I had my edge lowered the day after i bought it (25 apr 07) with H&R lowering springs. Dropped it 1.5"front, 1.75" rear. Bought my springs thru the tire rack at $255.00 and my ford dealer took 4hrs to pull the ford springs and install the h&r performance springs...they then aligned it. Warranty not compromised according to them. Much better handling in corners, and i hated the "4 wheel drive pickup truck look". Check photos in my member gallery. (saleens7) I called H&R in Washington state, and they were outstanding as far as info....(they had an edge customized at sema last year). I also just got my 22" wheels and 305/40-22 tires in a few days ago and will have them put on next week, will let you know about the ride and handling. The wider tire should drastically improve handling performance, but will add weight as will the 22" wheels. I am going to weigh my 18" wheels, then my 22" wheels to see the weight differance...will let you know. As for performance...magnaflow and gibson will have performance exhaust out in 30 days i think....turbonetics emailed me last night and said they are looking at a turbo kit for the edges 3.5L engine. K&N filters does not have a performance filter out yet either. Could not find anyone that makes a strut tower brace yet. I also changed my battery to a "yellow top" optima battery...(top of the line when it comes to batteries), and gonna change all my fluids to redline performance fluids. Keep me posted if you find more handling products.

copperhead....I had my edge lowered the day after i bought it (25 apr 07) with H&R lowering springs. Dropped it 1.5"front, 1.75" rear. Bought my springs thru the tire rack at $255.00 and my ford dealer took 4hrs to pull the ford springs and install the h&r performance springs...they then aligned it. Warranty not compromised according to them. Much better handling in corners, and i hated the "4 wheel drive pickup truck look". Check photos in my member gallery. (saleens7) I called H&R in Washington state, and they were outstanding as far as info....(they had an edge customized at sema last year). I also just got my 22" wheels and 305/40-22 tires in a few days ago and will have them put on next week, will let you know about the ride and handling. The wider tire should drastically improve handling performance, but will add weight as will the 22" wheels. I am going to weigh my 18" wheels, then my 22" wheels to see the weight differance...will let you know. As for performance...magnaflow and gibson will have performance exhaust out in 30 days i think....turbonetics emailed me last night and said they are looking at a turbo kit for the edges 3.5L engine. K&N filters does not have a performance filter out yet either. Could not find anyone that makes a strut tower brace yet. I also changed my battery to a "yellow top" optima battery...(top of the line when it comes to batteries), and gonna change all my fluids to redline performance fluids. Keep me posted if you find more handling products.

I was watching a program on TV that covered the current production and history of Ferrari automobiles. At the end it was noted that Ferrari uses strut and shockabsorber technology developed in the US. This is the magnetic system used in the Corvette and several Cad models. Is this system available from suppliers. I think it is but will have to research the matters. As I remember it greatly improves handling with not loss of a comfortable ride. Magnetized fluid in cylinder isstantanly changes viscocity with force applied.

I was watching a program on TV that covered the current production and history of Ferrari automobiles. At the end it was noted that Ferrari uses strut and shockabsorber technology developed in the US. This is the magnetic system used in the Corvette and several Cad models. Is this system available from suppliers. I think it is but will have to research the matters. As I remember it greatly improves handling with not loss of a comfortable ride. Magnetized fluid in cylinder isstantanly changes viscocity with force applied.

That magnetized fluid system was AMAZING. I watched a TV show last year on some guys doing that to a hummer.

• 4 years later...

if you hadn't found it already..

http://www.steedaedge.com/store/shopping_cart.php

:happy feet: