How to Add a Subwoofer 2011 edge

[/quote

Who said the battery and ground cables were not upgraded? The 150amp stock alternator is MORE than adequate to supply the necessary voltage and amperage for the 2 amplifiers I am running. I can easily get 125db spl inside the vehicle with zero dimming of any lights. For those who don't know what 125db is - it is the level that pain begins in your ears. A loud rock concert with on the floor seats will be about about 115-120db.

A capacitor does have limited value with the electrical sytems in todays vehicles, but I had it laying around from my younger days of competing in IASCA competitions - there was room for it and it can't hurt the voltage supply of the electrical system.

Here are the pics.

Nice work, how bout shots of the sub/enclosure?

So, are the "BIG 3" upgraded or not?

• 2 weeks later...

Does Anybody know if the wiring is available behind the rear right panel where the sub goes for the sub the plug into? also is there an option in the rear of the factory deck to add a sub ie. plug & play. Also I can't seem to find a factory sub woofer panel cover that I could replace the base model one. Iv'e seen the cover that comes with the sport model one with the vents in the panel, looks nice. I'm willing to spend the money on oem parts to try & make it look as stock as possible. Any part(s) # would be nice & thank you to all in advace. The Model I have is a 2011 fwd sel & I live in canada (If that makes a differance lol).

are we sure about this?

i cant really tell, since they factory sub isnt very profound anyway

mitch

Yes, we're sure.

To test yours turn your bass up 3/4 of the way.

Turn your volume up and listen for the bass to decrease as you raise the volume then notice that it increases as you lower the volume.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I have a 2007 SEL Plus (not sure what the plus means, if anything) but i'm curious if there is a way to tell if there is already an OEM sub installed already and if not where can I get one? I have tried searching and keep coming up with all different part numbers....help please!!!

Ok, so I have a 2007 SEL Plus (not sure what the plus means, if anything) but i'm curious if there is a way to tell if there is already an OEM sub installed already and if not where can I get one? I have tried searching and keep coming up with all different part numbers....help please!!!

The Plus is equivalent to the 2008 and up Limited models. If you have a perforated square panel on the passenger side of the cargo area, you have an OEM sub. My guess is the Plus came standard with the premium sound system which included the sub.

Correction, apparently the standard option even in the Plus was a 4 speaker system, the optional 9 speaker system included the sub...I have the 9 speaker system.

Edited by carbonedge+

• 2 weeks later...

Hello forum! I'm a new member and soon to be Edge Sport owner. I will definitely be upgrading the speakers and adding a JL Stealthbox. I'd like to add more that one sub, though. Has anyone attempted to add an additional sub on the passenger side?

I'm Planning on adding three amplifiers to my Limited, I have the MTX QE-5 or whatever that thing is and also I have the wiring for the amplifiers too. All i need to do is find a factory service book and how to dismantle the trim to get into the head unit. I have three sets of 6 1/2 " component sets to go on the doors and in the back where the speakers set behind the passengers heads.

For those with the JL audio sub installed, where did you mount your amp or amps? Neither of mine (one for sub, one for 4 door speakers) will fit under the rear seats as they hit when the seats are folded down. I was thinking of just mounting them on the back of the rear seats and wiring accordingly so they dont interfere with the mechanism of folding down. But that options leaves them visible which isnt my first choice.

Thanks!

Hey spongers you can try these amps, they are zapco amps, check out he webiste @ zapco.com, I have a referance 360.4 & a 500.1 & they fit under my rear seats nice with still lots of room. I will be getting theseinstalled in a month or 2 once I get everything else I need for my install.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting that link.

Now It would be nice if they showed what wires are needed off the factory head unit to hook this up! I got a 2011 Edge and there is no Aftermarket kit or Radio available due to how the factory installed the radio.

Hi NextTime,

I am also a new Owner of a 2011 Edge SEL.

I have removed and replaced the SEL A Pillars front and back with the Limited versions that includes speakers. I am installing my sub and speakers amps under my back seats for my 4 door, 2 front A Pillars, 2 rear A Pillars, and single 12 inch MTX sub in passenger rear side compartment. You will need to use a line output converter which will take the speaker level single and convert it into the preamp level signal appropriate for amps. AudioControl LC8i

Once you have added the output converter, hooking up the amp should be straight forward if you have experience doing so.

Hope this helps,

-Cory

Edited by cprether

• 6 months later...

Who said the battery and ground cables were not upgraded? The 150amp stock alternator is MORE than adequate to supply the necessary voltage and amperage for the 2 amplifiers I am running. I can easily get 125db spl inside the vehicle with zero dimming of any lights. For those who don't know what 125db is - it is the level that pain begins in your ears. A loud rock concert with on the floor seats will be about about 115-120db.

A capacitor does have limited value with the electrical sytems in todays vehicles, but I had it laying around from my younger days of competing in IASCA competitions - there was room for it and it can't hurt the voltage supply of the electrical system.

Here are the pics.

I realize this is an old thread but I *really* want to see a pic of the sub enclosure you're using there.

Also, would a capacitor on the line to the amp help resolve the "pop" I get over the speakers when the vehicle is off and the MyFord Touch screen cycles on/off?

I realize this is an old thread but I *really* want to see a pic of the sub enclosure you're using there.

Also, would a capacitor on the line to the amp help resolve the "pop" I get over the speakers when the vehicle is off and the MyFord Touch screen cycles on/off?

Don't think it would. When I installed all my stereo stuff the JBL MS-8 manual explicitly stated to wire the MS-8 to turn on first from the factory head unit and then from the 12v remote out to turn on any external amps AND the factory amp. This prevents the pop at turn on. I have heard of people not seeing this and wiring the turn on from the factory amp and it causes the pop.

Some more info on you setup might be helpful as the above might not apply.

Edited by NWS Alpine

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I recently have taken the panels off to get into the radio head unit, there is no connections for "plug and play" as mentioned above. I am going to I stall all new door speakers and have looked into getting a factory sub installed just to have something to work with to make it better. Ford said it can't be done. There is no way to upgrade to add the sub without getting the whole system upgraded to include my ford touch, which again they say it absolutely can not happen bcc ford doesn't have the "adapters". I make custom boxes both wood and fiberglass and I have to say this is the hardest vehicle to figure out without taking up a lot of room. I am steadily working a design and when I get it figured out, built and installed I will post pics and let others now how to do it.