"Performing scheduled system maintenance, please wait..."

I was messing with my touchscreen this morning when it suddenly went dark. The two smaller screens continued to run although my radio cut out and my route guidance stopped. Then I saw the Microsoft Sync screen which said "Performing scheduled system maintenance, please wait" with a status bar. Once the status bar completed everything came back on, the radio came on, and the route guidance started again.

My question is, did I just have a crash, or was this honestly something that was scheduled? I believe by doing the updates on my SYNC account with the USB trick that my software is up-to-date, I believe it shows Gen 2 software which was loaded just last month when it was built. So can I expect to see this again, or was this (hopefully) a one time fluke?

Thanks!

I was messing with my touchscreen this morning when it suddenly went dark. The two smaller screens continued to run although my radio cut out and my route guidance stopped. Then I saw the Microsoft Sync screen which said "Performing scheduled system maintenance, please wait" with a status bar. Once the status bar completed everything came back on, the radio came on, and the route guidance started again.

My question is, did I just have a crash, or was this honestly something that was scheduled? I believe by doing the updates on my SYNC account with the USB trick that my software is up-to-date, I believe it shows Gen 2 software which was loaded just last month when it was built. So can I expect to see this again, or was this (hopefully) a one time fluke?

Thanks!

It wasn't something scheduled, but you shouldn't expect it to happen at any given time. I think I have had my system do it twice in 4 months - other's have it daily. It is starts happening often, it might be a sign of bigger problems.

It wasn't something scheduled, but you shouldn't expect it to happen at any given time. I think I have had my system do it twice in 4 months - other's have it daily. It is starts happening often, it might be a sign of bigger problems.

I see that happening every time after a crash... I think is a way to cover the booting up, or a routine check when booting. But definitely seen it after crashing.

This is good to know. I assumed it was a well disguised crash, and admittedly I was working the system pretty hard at the time that it happened. As long as they keep issuing periodic patches and improvements with software updates I can live with an occasional crash. I was demonstrating the MyFord Touch features to some friends for the first time last night and they were really impressed, and it was a tough room as they are IT savvy type of folks. :-)

This is good to know. I assumed it was a well disguised crash, and admittedly I was working the system pretty hard at the time that it happened. As long as they keep issuing periodic patches and improvements with software updates I can live with an occasional crash. I was demonstrating the MyFord Touch features to some friends for the first time last night and they were really impressed, and it was a tough room as they are IT savvy type of folks. :-)

I don't think it was "disguised" - I think they just chose to run the scheduled maintenance routine when it boots up. It's pretty obvious the system crashed.

I don't think it was "disguised" - I think they just chose to run the scheduled maintenance routine when it boots up. It's pretty obvious the system crashed.

I'm not completely sure what you are saying. Does the scheduled maintenance actually apply patches or do updates to the system? I thought since I had already done the computer/USB/computer update trick the week before that I was up-to-date on patches applied. By definition, if it happens as the result of a system crash it really can't count as "scheduled", and if the software is essentially unchanged before and after the event I think calling it "maintenance" is also a stretch. Although I suppose in fairness rebooting an operating system can be considered regular maintenance.

By the way, one guess what line of work I am in. :-)

I'm not completely sure what you are saying. Does the scheduled maintenance actually apply patches or do updates to the system? I thought since I had already done the computer/USB/computer update trick the week before that I was up-to-date on patches applied. By definition, if it happens as the result of a system crash it really can't count as "scheduled", and if the software is essentially unchanged before and after the event I think calling it "maintenance" is also a stretch. Although I suppose in fairness rebooting an operating system can be considered regular maintenance.

By the way, one guess what line of work I am in. :-)

Damn software engineers.......(I used to be one too)

Yes, calling it scheduled maintenance is a stretch. It's definitely not installing patches or making software changes. I'm sure it's just doing cleanup and reindexing type tasks. My assumption is they call the scheduled maintenance routine after a crash just to make sure everything gets cleaned up, thus the display. I don't think it's a smokescreen or deliberate coverup - that was my point.

Damn software engineers.......(I used to be one too)

Yes, calling it scheduled maintenance is a stretch. It's definitely not installing patches or making software changes. I'm sure it's just doing cleanup and reindexing type tasks. My assumption is they call the scheduled maintenance routine after a crash just to make sure everything gets cleaned up, thus the display. I don't think it's a smokescreen or deliberate coverup - that was my point.

I think that's a fair assessment. And honestly, the fact that is kept all of my inputs during the event (radio station and volume, Navigation route picked up where it left off, etc) says it was more of a controlled event than some other Microsoft products would have given us in the past. It certainly could have cleared all my setting preferences, killed my route guidance, and set the radio to AM 550 static but it didn't. So count me as impressed even when there is a crash. Assuming I don't keep seeing them of course.

I think that's a fair assessment. And honestly, the fact that is kept all of my inputs during the event (radio station and volume, Navigation route picked up where it left off, etc) says it was more of a controlled event than some other Microsoft products would have given us in the past. It certainly could have cleared all my setting preferences, killed my route guidance, and set the radio to AM 550 static but it didn't. So count me as impressed even when there is a crash. Assuming I don't keep seeing them of course.

I had the scheduled maintenance on start up on thursday 17th and the next day I got this message on the touch screen that my 911 assist is not functioning .And to see my dealer for services.Anybody here know what's up?

• 1 month later...

Well, we picked up a 2011 Ford Edge Limited 02/19/2011. Two weeks after the My Ford Touch / Sync started with the "Performing scheduled system maintenance". A few days later it would not come on again. I sent a note to corporate. They told us we were V2.4 but should be running V2.7. You would think that would have been done as dealer prep. At any rate, we brought it to the dealer and had it updated today. It worked well at the dealer. Later in the day when starting the car for first time after getting home, we got the "Performing scheduled system maintenance" message again, but only once, because it does not come up any more. The repair did not last even one day. So it will go back. Tomorrow we will make the next appointment.

• Like 1

I get the "Performing scheduled system maintenance" screen at least once or twice a week... it used to really piss me off, but I just ignore it now. Sigh.

I got the letter about the Sync update, but I'm still not sure if I want to do it, after reading about some people's experiences with it....

Just wish Ford would get it right!

I get the "Performing scheduled system maintenance" screen at least once or twice a week... it used to really piss me off, but I just ignore it now. Sigh.

I got the letter about the Sync update, but I'm still not sure if I want to do it, after reading about some people's experiences with it....

Just wish Ford would get it right!

I can understand your hesitation to get the latest updates. But, in fairness to Ford, if you aren't getting the latest releases of their software then you really can't complain about stuff that isn't working. Even if the last release caused someone else problems those issues might not manifest on your system, but then it could also be very possible that some (or maybe all) of the issues you are having would have been addressed with it.

For the most part I think it's fair to say that each update Ford has posted has made things better than they were on previous updates. Did any update completely fix everyone's problems 100%, no. But it seems to be moving in the right direction. I would not fear the updates unless people start reporting they introduce new problems.

I can understand your hesitation to get the latest updates. But, in fairness to Ford, if you aren't getting the latest releases of their software then you really can't complain about stuff that isn't working. Even if the last release caused someone else problems those issues might not manifest on your system, but then it could also be very possible that some (or maybe all) of the issues you are having would have been addressed with it.

For the most part I think it's fair to say that each update Ford has posted has made things better than they were on previous updates. Did any update completely fix everyone's problems 100%, no. But it seems to be moving in the right direction. I would not fear the updates unless people start reporting they introduce new problems.

In fairness to the consumer - the stuff that isn't working ought to have been working the day I bought the car!!

But seriously, I'll get the update. It's not fear keeping me back - it's distrust. I don't want to wait at a dealership. I don't want to have to go back after they mess something up.

Ok, I'm cynical -- but there's plenty of history to back it up.....

In fairness to the consumer - the stuff that isn't working ought to have been working the day I bought the car!!

Agreed!

I got the letter to go in and have the update to 2.7. I wonder why they asked me to come in and waste my time on an update. I don't see where it helped a damn thing. BT Audio is still just as fickle as ever. USB not always connecting....so on so forth.

For the past 6 months, I've tried to stay optimistic but is really hard.

Oh, and where is the crap they announced 14 months ago as "late availability" ?

In fairness to Ford... I've jumped on every update and waisted boo coo hours in the service department. I still have the same basic issues as I had from day one over 6 months ago.

The Touch system is a joke. Now I'm concerned that I will not be able to sell the car because it has Touch in it.

In fairness to Ford... I've jumped on every update and waisted boo coo hours in the service department. I still have the same basic issues as I had from day one over 6 months ago.

The Touch system is a joke. Now I'm concerned that I will not be able to sell the car because it has Touch in it.

So, my dealer is supposed to install 2.7 on my car tomorrow. This will be the first update to the software they have performed for me. The guy said they would only need the car for an hour. Should I assume it will take longer than that? I am *assuming* that the lengthy visits to the dealership early on would indicate the technitions didn't know what they were doing and that things are better now? Or am I kidding myself?

So, my dealer is supposed to install 2.7 on my car tomorrow. This will be the first update to the software they have performed for me. The guy said they would only need the car for an hour. Should I assume it will take longer than that? I am *assuming* that the lengthy visits to the dealership early on would indicate the technitions didn't know what they were doing and that things are better now? Or am I kidding myself?

Had mine done yesterday. Paperwork said they spent 1.3 hours on it. I do see an improvement on responsiveness

Had mine done yesterday. Paperwork said they spent 1.3 hours on it. I do see an improvement on responsiveness

Did they charge you for the update? Or attempt to charge you? I'm assuming as long as you are experiencing problems they will do this under warrenty, correct?

Did they charge you for the update? Or attempt to charge you? I'm assuming as long as you are experiencing problems they will do this under warrenty, correct?

No charge. Ford sent a letter stating its a "Customer satisfaction service" or something like that. Ford is aware they have issues with the system and I can't imagine Ford trying to charge you for any type of improvement. Unless you have a real shady dealer

I have had the same system maintenance screen come up on my 2011 Sport. This did not happen when I bought it but after the dealer did the first update (I was having problems with connecting to Sync services, so they did an update). After this first update, the USB drive would freeze &/or freeze & skip over songs. The black screen of death is happening to me about 2X per week as well. Ford did another update last week but no change in regards to the crash, but it does seem to take less time for commands to be executed & the USB seems to be not having as many issues.

Ok, see... THIS is why I'm not jumping on the updates!

(and I'm the kind of guy who usually updates everything immediately)

Sync/Touch = great idea, terrible execution. I love having it, but I'd complain a lot less if it actually worked like it was supposed to.

Who wants to wait a minute for their car to decide to play the next mp3 track?

Or wait 30 seconds to turn on the seat heat? (My butt is cold now!)

• 2 weeks later...

Update: got the 10B20 update today.

First time, dealer flashed the wrong file -- lost my Nav. Brought it back, they apologized, flashed the proper file this time.

Don't see any difference, nothing seems to behave any better/worse or faster/slower, features seem the same....