Buying an 08' Edge...need advise

dieseldamager

Hello Everyone,

I am currently looking at purchasing an 08' Ford Edge with 60,000km on it. The Edge i am looking at is the FWD (Front Wheel) model. I have taken it overnight for a test drive and everything seems fine. There are a few things i wanted to adress that are of concern. I have read quite a bit on this site that there are transmission problems and there are some power steering problems. When i test drove the car i noticed that at low speeds the power steering causes a noise almost as if it is struggling to steer and it causes a small vibration (making the noise at the same time). Also i am currently getting out of a car that requires quite expensive repairs and i just wanted to make sure that im not looking at a vehicle that will be the same thing all over again (expensive repairs such as transmissions). Any advise or words of wisdom? My first impression is that the vehicle is quite reliable, however i just want to make sure there are not any major problems such as these plaguing the Edge.

Thanks,

Dan

If I remember correctly the problem with the "transmission" is the PTO and is only applicable to the AWD. Some 08 Edges had problems with the heaters which is the subject of an extended warranty. Some Edges have had problems with the Sun Roof. It is difficult to find out just how serious this problem is but it does appear to more than just a minor issue. When all said and done though the 2008 appear to be a good buy and I believe they are a recommended used vehicle buy on some web sites.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If I remember correctly the problem with the "transmission" is the PTO and is only applicable to the AWD. Some 08 Edges had problems with the heaters which is the subject of an extended warranty. Some Edges have had problems with the Sun Roof. It is difficult to find out just how serious this problem is but it does appear to more than just a minor issue. When all said and done though the 2008 appear to be a good buy and I believe they are a recommended used vehicle buy on some web sites.

We just purchased an 08 Edge with an extended warranty. Right away, we had trouble opening the sun roof. Took it to the dealer and they monkeyed with it for a day. They decided that the motor (2 motors?) weren't working. The dealer ordered the parts along with a harness and they admitted that this is a problem with the 08 Edge. Purchasing the extended warranty is already paying off. The parts came in the next day and I'm scheduled for the fix Monday. The dealer said they would have to have the car for the greater part of the day.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad the 08 Edge I just bought didn't have a sun roof. I had this same problem with a 2001 Navigator we bought used. Driving it home we played with the sunroof and it broke on us. Dealer had to completely replace it.

Good to know about possible transmission issues though with the 08 AWDs. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I do see from other posts the most of the AC/fan issues are due to the cabin filter behind the glove box. Mine appears to be starting to have an issue so I need to check on it.