IF YOU HAVE A 2010 LIMITED, stick with 20 INCH WHEELS!!

peterjamesmusser

I have a 2010 Edge Limited AWD. Bought $3500 worth of 22 inch wheels and tires. What a mistake. What used to be a finely-tuned automobile, now feels like a 1949 pickup on the freeway. Changing back to original wheels and tires. Does anyone want to buy my wheels and tires: they look awesome: black with chrome spokes (on tuxedo black). $1500. Peter

The 22" wheels and tires add lots of weight. Stiffer springs and more damping from shocks are mandatory. There is little if any performance advantage, and the extra weight is felt in fuel milage and handling since it is all sprung weight. Heck, even the 18" wheels and tires on my 2007 Edge are heavy, and replacements are a limited choice and quite expensive. Double that for 22" replacement tires.

Perhaps it is contrary to current taste and style, but 16" wheels and tires might have been a better choice all around. Better fuel economy, better ride, better acceleration, and perhaps better handling. And many more tire choices at significantly lower prices. If they would just lower the ride hight 2" you would loose much of the gap in the wheel well and get even better handling.

But what do I know?

Edited by Feirstein

I have a 2010 Edge Limited AWD. Bought $3500 worth of 22 inch wheels and tires. What a mistake. What used to be a finely-tuned automobile, now feels like a 1949 pickup on the freeway. Changing back to original wheels and tires. Does anyone want to buy my wheels and tires: they look awesome: black with chrome spokes (on tuxedo black). $1500. Peter

Will they fit on a 2011 - SE?

The 22" wheels and tires add lots of weight. Stiffer springs and more damping from shocks are mandatory. There is little if any performance advantage, and the extra weight is felt in fuel milage and handling since it is all sprung weight. Heck, even the 18" wheels and tires on my 2007 Edge are heavy, and replacements are a limited choice and quite expensive. Double that for 22" replacement tires.

Perhaps it is contrary to current taste and style, but 16" wheels and tires might have been a better choice all around. Better fuel economy, better ride, better acceleration, and perhaps better handling. And many more tire choices at significantly lower prices. If they would just lower the ride hight 2" you would loose much of the gap in the wheel well and get even better handling.

But what do I know?

Better fuel economy from 16" but not better handling. The Edge has a 60 series profile in 18". If you went to 16" you'd need to go to 70/75 OR a skinnier tire and that won't handle better.

Lower would also handle better, but that would defeat some of the benefits of a taller vehicle with more ground clearance. Air suspension could be really cool on the Edge chassis if done right. :yup:

• Like 1

Better fuel economy from 16" but not better handling. The Edge has a 60 series profile in 18". If you went to 16" you'd need to go to 70/75 OR a skinnier tire and that won't handle better.

Lower would also handle better, but that would defeat some of the benefits of a taller vehicle with more ground clearance. Air suspension could be really cool on the Edge chassis if done right. :yup:

Here is a link to show you what the tire size change will do to your speedo

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

"Better fuel economy from 16" but not better handling. The Edge has a 60 series profile in 18". If you went to 16" you'd need to go to 70/75 OR a skinnier tire and that won't handle better."

Of course. But my point is that if Ford decided to give the customers what they need instead of what they want (huge wheels), then they could have fit the Edge at the factory with 16" wheels and any aspect ratio tire of their choice, including state of the art 45 series profile. At the factory Ford could have adjusted the gear ratio's and spedo for accurate reads with such tires. Still far less weight and superior handling.

Edited by Feirstein