Rolling while in drive

Janis

I have never had a vehicle that can roll backwards this much on a hill while I am in drive. After I brought my new Edge home, I decided to see what people where saying about the roll, well it sure does roll and it doesnt stop rolling. How does a transmission in drive roll backwards?

It does roll.. but if you firmly engage the brake pedal while setting to park - it rolls much less..

So.. its manageable - just got to slow down a bit....

Getting out my Edge is like a procedure... firmly engage brake, set to park, turn engine off (so not to waste gas) hit button to close massive sun roof, hit button to close sun shades,,,,

Then remove key... whewww.... I have learned not to rush out of Edge.. I leisurely enjoy it now...

It does roll.. but if you firmly engage the brake pedal while setting to park - it rolls much less..

So.. its manageable - just got to slow down a bit....

Getting out my Edge is like a procedure... firmly engage brake, set to park, turn engine off (so not to waste gas) hit button to close massive sun roof, hit button to close sun shades,,,,

Then remove key... whewww.... I have learned not to rush out of Edge.. I leisurely enjoy it now...

The OP was talking about it rolling backwards in drive, not while parked.

This is a function of the automatic tranny and the torque converter. Any automatic will roll backwards in drive given enough force. There is no mechanical connection between the engine and transmission when stopped - it's just fluid between the 2 halves of the torque converter. Some converters have a higher stall speed than others and it will also vary according to the engine torque at idle.

In other words it's perfectly normal, just different than you're used to.

Thanks you for the explanation akirby.......that is interesting (I know squat about how a car actually works).

I learned to drive with a manual so I I'm pretty quick to engage on hills but I can totally understand about the roll being a bit unnerveving.

howstuffworks.com has great explanations on torque converters and every other part of a vehicle. Fascinating stuff!

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if Lincoln / Ford is doing anything about this transmission problem on the MKX or the EDGE. When you are sitting on ANY incline from a driveway to a parking lot, My MKX when in drive with the engine running rolls backwards just as if it is in neutral. My dealer acted like I was retarded when I took it in. The stock answer by the dealer is "your vehicle is operating within Ford's paramitors. I have already nearly backed over a child, and almost knocked a $30,000 Harley over. I'll bet they change thier tune when one of the thousands of vehicles that has this problem finally kills some one!

Don't get me started on the back bumper I am on my 3rd one that has repeatidly warped. My MKX is black and the Houston Heat of late has wrecked havok . (the other black ones owned at the dealership have warped as well.

My wife is fit to be tied , she feels completely unsafe and fears that she might hurt someone (or worse) if it rolls backwards.

Edited by metrols

Does anyone know if Lincoln / Ford is doing anything about this transmission problem on the MKX or the EDGE. When you are sitting on ANY incline from a driveway to a parking lot, My MKX when in drive with the engine running rolls backwards just as if it is in neutral. My dealer acted like I was retarded when I took it in. The stock answer by the dealer is "your vehicle is operating within Ford's paramitors. I have already nearly backed over a child, and almost knocked a $30,000 Harley over. I'll bet they change thier tune when one of the thousands of vehicles that has this problem finally kills some one!

Don't get me started on the back bumper I am on my 3rd one that has repeatidly warped. My MKX is black and the Houston Heat of late has wrecked havok . (the other black ones owned at the dealership have warped as well.

My wife is fit to be tied , she feels completely unsafe and fears that she might hurt someone (or worse) if it rolls backwards.

Pick a thread PLEASE!

Jeezeeus, 4 posts, Seems you want to 'vent' I believe a rep. from Fomoco chimed in with one reply already. This is related, but not to the Edge. I also have a hybrid Escape. Maybe 3 times, I've had a slight scare because Ford 'builtin' a crawl to the drivetrain components. I have to make sure I apply enough pressure to the brakes while stopped. If I don't then the vehicle inch's forward and being in stealth/electric mode it's quiet. It's something to be learned. It's a quirk about the vehicle.

I suppose I could become mindless and rant and rave about it.but now that you did mention it 4 to 5 times.

:banghead:

WOW! I am PISSED!

Check yours and report back...thes is MESSED UP! Man, am I MAD!