2011 Edge Brake Performance Tests

I've been looking around to find a solid number on the 60MPH to 0MPH panic brake test for the 2011 Edges but I keep coming up with different numbers from different sources.

http://www.trucktren...est/brakes.html

Truck Trend (Same as Motor Trend) said:

"Our Sport's best 60-0 mph braking distance of 124 feet improves on the FWD SEL's mediocre 139 feet, but our tester reports that the Sport's best stop was all about the tires. A second 0-60 mph stop took the Sport a miserable 148 feet. Our tester let the brakes cool down, then recorded a third stop of 155 feet.

Similarly, the Edge SEL's stopping distances varied from 139 to 153 feet. Compare this with a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, tested at the same time, with 60-0 mph distances of 126, 126 and 127 feet in three stops. A Grand Cherokee Overland recorded 136, two 138s and 137 feet.

Such brake performance could be a deal-breaker."

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/edge/2011/

While Edmunds says:

"In Edmunds brake testing, an all-wheel-drive Ford Edge Sport stopped from 60 mph in a respectable 121 feet."

This is a pretty big discrepancy in the 'tested' braking performance or at least how it has been spun. I haven't panic braked in the Edge yet, but I am happy with the normal braking feel and response.

Thoughts?

Edited by cal3thousand

It might depend on what equipment they're using to measure it. I did Collision Reconstruction for 5 years and used to do testing with an accelerometer. It can be used to time 0-60 runs as well as stopping runs as well. To be very accurate with the equipment, you need to immediately transition from gas to brake and hammer it to get the best distance. Human error can definitely creep in here.

It might depend on what equipment they're using to measure it. I did Collision Reconstruction for 5 years and used to do testing with an accelerometer. It can be used to time 0-60 runs as well as stopping runs as well. To be very accurate with the equipment, you need to immediately transition from gas to brake and hammer it to get the best distance. Human error can definitely creep in here.

That's a good point. I've always thought about the human factor in these tests and wondered if there was a way to standardize them.

Let's not forget about temperature, tire pressure and friction coefficients on the road surfaces. I wonder too, like you said, are they using electronics or cones and tape measures? If I'm figuring this out correctly on my steering wheel right now 60 mph is 88 feet per second, so a fractional disparity of a second by the tester could render the distances easily changing that much. Richy, quick check my math....

Edited by Edgieguy

Let's not forget about temperature, tire pressure and friction coefficients on the road surfaces. I wonder too, like you said, are they using electronics or cones and tape measures? If I'm figuring this out correctly on my steering wheel right now 60 mph is 88 feet per second, so a fractional disparity of a second by the tester could render the distances easily changing that much. Richy, quick check my math....

Andy, I would, but I'm driving right now and don't want to spill my beer, hahahhahahaha.

One would think that since they are all auto magazines, the test drivers would be at worst, enthusiast drivers with plenty of practice in the testing methods used and thus give far more repeatable and consistent results than the average driver. So I'd say driver induced deviations are a small if not insignificant factor in the tests. I would assume most of the variations between the tests from various sources is due to ambient conditions such as pavement, weather, etc.

At any rate, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that while the 2011 Edge braking has been improved, it's still not where it should be versus some of the competition. So far, after 600 miles on our new Edge I haven't felt that the brakes are inadequate but it's still too early to form a final opinion as I baby it when driving it during the break in period. At the worst case, I'd imagine a simple pad change to some more aggressive after market pads would give a decent improvement if needed (like with most vehicles I've owned).

• 2 weeks later...

I have read tests on early 2007 models and the Edge brakes were singled out for their poor performance. Those early test models had solid rotors and single pistons in front (I have read).

Recently I came into ownership of a late all wheel drive 2007 SEL+. It sports vented rotors and dual piston calipers on the front. With quality replacement tires and a new set of Bendix CT front pads I find the braking performance to be more than adequate but have no idea what the test data would show.

Richard

I have read tests on early 2007 models and the Edge brakes were singled out for their poor performance. Those early test models had solid rotors and single pistons in front (I have read).

Recently I came into ownership of a late all wheel drive 2007 SEL+. It sports vented rotors and dual piston calipers on the front. With quality replacement tires and a new set of Bendix CT front pads I find the braking performance to be more than adequate but have no idea what the test data would show.

Richard

On our 2008 Limited, I changed out the stock pads for a pad with more bite, I also changed out the rubber brake lines with stainless steel braided ones. Since everything was changed, I also used a high quality brake fluid. It all added up to very good brakes.

Edited by Edgieguy

Definitely feel it, but can't remember now if I actually heard it - or you just think you do? They seemed to kick on easier than our truck's, but the tires are different and hard to compare. But I drove on some nasty ice/snow this winter and always felt confident. I am almost to 7500 miles.

Definitely feel it, but can't remember now if I actually heard it - or you just think you do? They seemed to kick on easier than our truck's, but the tires are different and hard to compare. But I drove on some nasty ice/snow this winter and always felt confident. I am almost to 7500 miles.

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear that you don't remember hearing it. My Volvo 850 brakes hard, but the ABS was loud and almost bone jarring. It hasn't worked in a about a year, so I'm pretty good with pedal modulation now :lol: . I need to get used to laying on the brakes when needed and letting ABS sort it out in the Edge.

I'll go out have some fun with the brakes after the first oil change.

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear that you don't remember hearing it. My Volvo 850 brakes hard, but the ABS was loud and almost bone jarring. It hasn't worked in a about a year, so I'm pretty good with pedal modulation now :lol: . I need to get used to laying on the brakes when needed and letting ABS sort it out in the Edge.

I'll go out have some fun with the brakes after the first oil change.

It is still hard for me to press on the brakes and let the ABS do its thing. I was taught to pump the breaks and that is what I still want to do. I remember vividly my first ABS experience and freaking out - letting go of everything... It worked out, but scared my passenger pretty bad since they knew what was going on and couldn't figure out what I was doing. I don't think I have had them go off on dry pavement before though -

It is still hard for me to press on the brakes and let the ABS do its thing. I was taught to pump the breaks and that is what I still want to do. I remember vividly my first ABS experience and freaking out - letting go of everything... It worked out, but scared my passenger pretty bad since they knew what was going on and couldn't figure out what I was doing. I don't think I have had them go off on dry pavement before though -

I'm betting that a full on ABS stop on dry pavement will send the contents of my back seat into the front seat. Maybe I'll get crazy and post a video (next month after my oil change)

• 6 months later...