What size 20" rims will replace my 18" stock rims?

viperdoug

I'd like to upgrade my stock 2010 Limited 18" rims with a set of 20". But I don't know what size will work. What bolt pattern, offset, and width? Will any modifications need to be done to the car, as in suspension, etc.? Will my speedometer be off? Thanks for any help.

Edited by viperdoug

I'd like to upgrade my stock 2010 Limited 18" rims with a set of 20". But I don't know what size will work. What bolt pattern, offset, and width? Will any modifications need to be done to the car, as in suspension, etc.? Will my speedometer be off? Thanks for any help.

I got my wheels and tires from TireRack you can give them a call and they can answer all your questions. As far as tire size goes your going up on rim size so your tire size will go down, like if you have 245/60/18 then you would probably go with a 245/50/10 depending on where you live I'd watch how low pro you go with tires. No mods need to be done,it's a simple swap of rims and tires,just make sure you have the TPMS installed and reset.

For the speedometer, use this calculator (I've seen this on every car forum at one point or another): Tire size calculator

Rule of thumb is to stay within 3% rolling difference.

If stuck between sizes, I would go with a larger size, that way you get the mileage (odometer, not MPG) benefits. Just remember that your speedo will understate your speed slightly. You have plenty of room in the Edge wheel well, so do as you please.

As for bolt pattern, if I'm not mistaken, Ford uses 5 X 114.3. The stock rim has a FWD offset of +38mm (from memory). So any Ford wheel for FWD (offset) vehicles will most likely work. You must also consider hub size though. If the rims you buy have the same or smaller hub size, you can have a machine shop bore them out to fit. If it is larger than your car's hub, you will need to get a hubcentric spacer (adapter) for them to fit.

And lastly, if you find a rim that you really want that has a different bolt pattern, you could get hub adapters that would take care of the hubcentric aspect as well as bolt pattern.

And if the bolt pattern is very close, like 5 X 108 (volvo for example) , you might be able to get away with wobble bolts.

Good luck in your search, and share results please.

EDIT: just looked up my stock 18" chrome clad on eBay and the wheel is 18" by 8" wide with an Offset of +40

Edited by cal3thousand

The extra weight of 20" wheels would, in and ideal world, dictate slightly stiffer shocks all around. This is manditory if you jump up to the 22" monster size wheels. There are also fewer tire choices currently available in the 20" size.

Given the same construction the 20" wheel will weight more, but I'm thinking there are plenty of 20" wheels that weigh less than the 18" wheels that Ford uses as stock.

So he might come out ahead on a lighter rim since there will be less rubber on the 20" tire.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my wheels and tires from TireRack you can give them a call and they can answer all your questions. As far as tire size goes your going up on rim size so your tire size will go down, like if you have 245/60/18 then you would probably go with a 245/50/10 depending on where you live I'd watch how low pro you go with tires. No mods need to be done,it's a simple swap of rims and tires,just make sure you have the TPMS installed and reset.

Keep in mind that you could see an increase in as much as 25 pounds of unsprung weight per corner by upgrading to 20" rims from 18" rims. This has been reported to affect handling and ride by some.