Stock Door Speakers

I replaced all 4 of the stock door speakers with Polk DXi570s. The OEM speakers have un-treated paper cones with foam surround and a whizzer cone (~$10.00 from a speaker supply house). They are graciously marked as 25W. The Polks dramatically improved the sound (especially the harsh upper-mids from the whizzer cone - typical of this design with no crossover). Next steps will be to add a sub with an amp and perhaps a 4-channel amp for the door speakers and then maybe a re-eq. Special thanks to Paul's Ford Edge Door Panel Speaker Replacement Guide - nicely done. 2010 Ford SEL Edge with 6 CD changer. If anyone wants these stock speaker, you can have them for the shipping cost.

post-15428-0-88729000-1304775043_thumb.jpg

post-15428-0-23441600-1304775058_thumb.jpg

Linty, can we assume that the Polks were a absolute drop in replacement? That is, you just unbolt the existing paper cones, and re-bolt the new Polks?

I'm putting a AVH-P3300BT in my dash next week, considering doing the door speaker upgrade as well, while I've got things apart.

Linty, can we assume that the Polks were a absolute drop in replacement? That is, you just unbolt the existing paper cones, and re-bolt the new Polks?

I'm putting a AVH-P3300BT in my dash next week, considering doing the door speaker upgrade as well, while I've got things apart.

Hunter306 - yes, the Polks are a drop-in fit - I did have a bit a trouble lining up the 4th screw & hole - I suggest loosely fitting all four screws in before fully tightening them - I used a small screwdriver to help line up the holes in the speaker frame with the mounting holes in the door. Also note; the Ford connector doesn't fit the Polks - you can purchase an adapter (~$15), or cut the connector off and add crimp terminals. The keyed side of the Ford connector is the positive side (I believe the positive wires are solid color - not sure if this is universal).

Let me know how the head unit install goes

thanks Linty

• 2 weeks later...

Hunter306 - yes, the Polks are a drop-in fit - I did have a bit a trouble lining up the 4th screw & hole - I suggest loosely fitting all four screws in before fully tightening them - I used a small screwdriver to help line up the holes in the speaker frame with the mounting holes in the door. Also note; the Ford connector doesn't fit the Polks - you can purchase an adapter (~$15), or cut the connector off and add crimp terminals. The keyed side of the Ford connector is the positive side (I believe the positive wires are solid color - not sure if this is universal).

Let me know how the head unit install goes

thanks Linty

Hey Linty where can you purchase these adapters?