REAR VIEW CAMERA PHOTOS

I installed this REAR VIEW CAMERA SYSTEM in my edge back in apr...very nice system for under $200.00. FIRST PHOTO is of rear view mirror that has integrated lcd monitor, it mounts on your existing edge rear view mirror and comes on and shows views from rear when you go into reverse. Serves as a regular rear view(so u can see the kids)when not in reverse. Second photo is metal chrome license plate with the lcd camera mounted into the frame. This is full metal chrome..not plastic chrome. I was surprised at the clarity of the camera and monitor for under $200. Money well spent. post-650-1183056673_thumb.jpgpost-650-1183056688_thumb.jpg

Edited by SALEENS7

I installed this REAR VIEW CAMERA SYSTEM in my edge back in apr...very nice system for under $200.00. FIRST PHOTO is of rear view mirror that has integrated lcd monitor, it mounts on your existing edge rear view mirror and comes on and shows views from rear when you go into reverse. Serves as a regular rear view(so u can see the kids)when not in reverse. Second photo is metal chrome license plate with the lcd camera mounted into the frame. This is full metal chrome..not plastic chrome. I was surprised at the clarity of the camera and monitor for under $200. Money well spent. post-650-1183056673_thumb.jpgpost-650-1183056688_thumb.jpg

How does it mount on to the existing mirror? Do you have a picture of yours?

Thanks!

Tamee

• 1 month later...

I have been working this evening on installing a similar system. Granted I have had some beers but nothing like Jillo :happy feet: :hysterical:

Anyhow, pulled the trim, removed some of the headliner, ran the wires fairly well imo, being somewhat of a novice. Spliced the hot and ground into the rear light and went to fire up my rig. BLACK screen. Is it possible the green with red stripe wire to the reverse lamp is NOT the hot? Do you recall when you installed yours? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, DJ

OK, things are much easier in the daylight. I disconnected the battery and spliced the wires, all is well. A sidenote, even when you remove the battery cable, the Nav/Audiophile system retains it's memory, not a huge deal but nice nonetheless.

I put the screen in the sunglass holder, just seemed to be a natural for it. I was able to hide all the wires well. The only little mod I made was to cut a very small semi-circle in the top of the tray so it will open without rubbing on the wire. I would have preferred coming out of the headliner a little further back to avoid this but there is a steel support beam in the way (dang 5 star crash ratings.... :hysterical:) Anyhow, I am pleased with the screen location and wire. Total time was under two hours, would most likely be under one in the daylight.

One thing I am not pleased with is the location of the camera, perhaps one day, when I get tuit.jpg

I will take all the trim off of the hatch, remove the camera and then reset just above the hitch in the plastic skirting. I do a lot of recreational towing and the ability to see the hitch would EASILY pay for this camera if it avoids one mistake. As for safety, if you do not tow nor plan to tow, the license plate position (as it is designed) is just fine.

On last question, I ran the power for the monitor to the fusebox and hooked it to the radio fuse (#39). Unfortunately, that fuse is always hot so the screen stays on. I would like to move it to a different power source, anyone have an idea on which fuse I should hunt for?

Edited by DJ Starr

Nice job on both installations.

I want to install a camera also using the license plate camera and monitor like DJ's. I haul a trailer with my ATVs' and other "stuff" and would like to Keep an eye on whatever is on the trailer. Driving, it is hard as the tailgate is so high. As a result, it appears you could wire the camera and monitor to a switch so that you could monitor the trailer while in motion. The switch could be wired directly back to the battery or fuse panel and avoid being only able to activate when in reverse.

However, looking at the rear hatch, I have a couple questions. Any help would be really appreciated.

1. It appears the inside panel of the tailgate/hatch has two screws to remove and than it can be pulled free. Is this correct? I would route the camera wires with the other existing wires through the hatch to the body of the car.

2. It appears the camera wires then can be routed down the roof liner to the front door pillar and to a switch to activate both camera and monitor. With the air bags in the roof liner, should this be a problem?

3. Anything else I might watch out for in the installation? I don't feel I will have a problem with wiring, just getting body panels off and on and not causing problems with the air bags.

Thanks in advance for any advise and suggestions.

Marv

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Nice job. What brand did you use? What are the dimensions of the eyeglass case?

I am not sure what brand, it was the cheepy from Wal-mart. Under $100.

Size of the case, not sure? What type of screen are you thinking about? If you tell me the dimensions (I assume you are concerned about width), I can take a quick peek at mine, tomorrow...

I am still a fan of this screen placement BUT I would not recommend the cheap kit form Wal-mart in retrospect. Water seems to collect on the inside of the camera lens, kind of lame. Not so lame I will take the time OR money to replace it, just kind of lame.

• 2 months later...

sweet idea.... Tribeca has this built in, 1 thing I wish the Edge had... might have to do something like this.

check out this wireless one (only need to wire to reverse lamp in rear) - click here UPDATE: this thing is not so wireless... a lot of wiring to actually do.

only downfall with these rearview mirror versions is that then the auto adjusting rear view mirror feature would not work.

Edited by Lex Talionis

in looking into this... it seems this is 2 items... the LCD mirror is item 1 and you buy that separate from the license plate camera. where did you buy it all from?

License Plate Camera: XO Vision (HTC31) Car license plate rear view CCD camera. roughly $80-90

Mirrored LCD Camera: XO Vision GXRM727 Clip-On Mirror With 7" Monitor. roughly $80-90

Edited by Lex Talionis

• 2 years later...

I too have a reverse camera with sensors installed on my Scorpio. I'm able to do a very close and tight parking when required.

As you come closer you can't see the rear bumper edges since the camera, though having a wide angle lens is normally fitted in the center. Secondly. if you observe, that all cars' front have a curved design with the bulge in the center tapering off to the sides. So, the camera enables you to see the front bulging part thus making a tight parking easier.This reverse sensor beeps and has LED display which changes as it nears an object.

It is very easy to install and the sensor sits behind the bumper so there is no need to drill holes in it. Connecting power is as simple as attaching to one of your reverse lights. It comes with full instructions and is in perfect working order.

• 2 months later...

Nice job !

Edited by goooo868