2 questions on 2007 Edge

edgemaster

Hi,

Recently purchased a 2007 Edge for my wife.

She has 2 questions (complaints):

1 When she hits the brake, it seems that the brake performance is sort of stop and go as if the pads would slip on a regular basis.

2. The car rolls back on very slight slopes although it's in gear. Her former Escape did hold steady on those same slopes.

Can some shed any light on these issues?

Thanks,

Ed

Hi,

Recently purchased a 2007 Edge for my wife.

She has 2 questions (complaints):

1 When she hits the brake, it seems that the brake performance is sort of stop and go as if the pads would slip on a regular basis.

2. The car rolls back on very slight slopes although it's in gear. Her former Escape did hold steady on those same slopes.

Can some shed any light on these issues?

Thanks,

Ed

Doesn't sound right. I'd get it checked out by a mechanic and/or just go ahead and replace the pads/turn the rotors.

This is normal and is a function of how the torque converter is designed (stall speed). All traditional automatic transmissions do this to some degree. In most vehicles the engine idle speed is enough to "engage" the torque converter and prevent rollback. In the Edge the stall speed is higher so engine idle speed is not enough to keep the vehicle from rolling backwards. You get used to it.

We have a 2007 Edge SEL and have experienced the same issues with the brakes and rolling back.

To help the brakes issue we upgraded to ceramic pads all the way around. This change basically eliminated the braking issues in the very mountainous area we used to reside in and has not shown any problems in the largmetropolitanan area we now live in.

The rolling back issue just seemed to fade away/ we got used to it after we drove the car about 15,000 miles. I am not sure as to why it cleared up but we can now sit on a steep grade without the brakes even depressed and the Edge will remain stationary.

I guess the advice is to upgrade the brake pads as high performance as you can go and drive it.

Edited by triplejinc

Thanks for the quick replies. Didn't get any e-mail notifications although that setting is checked.

The rolling back issue needs some getting used too, it's kind of annoying.

The brakes rotors are fine as well as the brake pads. The pads seem to be new all around. This is our first car with rear disc brakes, maybe that's why the "brake feeling" is different?