Remote(s) simply quit today

2011 Edge Limited

Very strange, both remotes quit transmitting today or else the Edge code has been reset. We have a Ford installed remote starter and the door locks work ok with those remotes. Anyone any ideas?

Sounds to me like the factory receiver is having issues, since both remotes quit. Unless there's some amazing coincidence and both remote batteries gave up at the same time.

After much Googling I found that Ford has some limited reprograming for 1 remote. It involves turning the ignition key on/off 8 times with 10 seconds and leaving the key on. The door locks will cycle up/down signalling that programming can be done. However as all Ford model are different, the next step/steps is/are unknown for Edge owners, or at least no one has shared the info.

In my own opinion I think there is some sort of unwanted interaction with the aftermarket remote starter recommended by the dealer. I used the rs for the 2nd time the other day to run the a/c for a couple of minutes before we got in. The particular unit locks all the doors before it starts the engine and I don't recall if I unlocked it with the Ford fob or the keyless entry pad.

I will taking it to a dealer tomorrow and will post the results.

After much Googling I found that Ford has some limited reprograming for 1 remote. It involves turning the ignition key on/off 8 times with 10 seconds and leaving the key on. The door locks will cycle up/down signalling that programming can be done. However as all Ford model are different, the next step/steps is/are unknown for Edge owners, or at least no one has shared the info.

In my own opinion I think there is some sort of unwanted interaction with the aftermarket remote starter recommended by the dealer. I used the rs for the 2nd time the other day to run the a/c for a couple of minutes before we got in. The particular unit locks all the doors before it starts the engine and I don't recall if I unlocked it with the Ford fob or the keyless entry pad.

I will taking it to a dealer tomorrow and will post the results.

Hi phlatlander. :D No need to Google or wait for the information to be "shared", the programming/reprogramming instructions are in the Owners Manual.

Don't know if reprogramming your remotes will solve your particular issue, but let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I am pretty sure you can only reprogram if one of the remotes is functioning correctly. As both of mine were u/s reprogramming via the Edge doesn't work.

Update: I managed to get the Edge to a local dealer (I purchased the car in a different city an hour away) and they reprogrammed both remotes. The service guy (not the guy who reprogrammed the units) said they didn't know what happened but the keys "drifted off frequency" - hmmm. I have not yet tried the remote starter which I believe caused the original problem. The remote starter is an aftermarked device installed by my Ford dealer.