2008 Edge wheels

cj04

Not sure if this topic was ever covered... I have the standard alum. wheels and chrome covers. At about 34,000 I noticed some corrosion on the wheels in small areas.I took it to the dealer,asked if there was a recall.They said no recall but they ordered 4 new wheels and covers. Great service but will I have the same problem down the road? :dogwalk:

Not sure if this topic was ever covered... I have the standard alum. wheels and chrome covers. At about 34,000 I noticed some corrosion on the wheels in small areas.I took it to the dealer,asked if there was a recall.They said no recall but they ordered 4 new wheels and covers. Great service but will I have the same problem down the road? :dogwalk:

Yes it will happen down the road again theres actually a clear coat on the rim and as soon as the clear coat get chipped (rocks ect.) the aluminum will start corroding. I've heard theres alot of these that the rims are like that?.............shitty manufacturing? when you get the new ones get them to re dip it in chrome or more clear coat.... not sure what color your car is but lots of dealers will do it get a black chrome finish on them.

Yes it will happen down the road again theres actually a clear coat on the rim and as soon as the clear coat get chipped (rocks ect.) the aluminum will start corroding. I've heard theres alot of these that the rims are like that?.............shitty manufacturing? when you get the new ones get them to re dip it in chrome or more clear coat.... not sure what color your car is but lots of dealers will do it get a black chrome finish on them.

Whether probably to order separately chromic caps for shipment on 20 "aluminum wheels? What price of such caps will be?

• 4 years later...

Ressurecting an old thread here but we have this problem on our 2008 Ford Edge, all four of the 18" outer rims are getting really corroded. There's like a white or creamy colored film around the outer rims and it looks horrible. I keep our vehicle meticulously clean but it seems to get worse and worse. Our weather in Vancouver is mostly rain. Very little snow if any at all so seldom is there any salt on the roads. Don't know what could be causing this but what is our recourse? These wheel covers are so expensive. I've read on the Internet about many others with the same problem, maybe there is a TSB since it is such a widespread problem?