Towing 24 ft. boat

Qross

Greetings and welcome

Legally…No there is nothing you can do. Ford says 3500 so that’s what you’re stuck with.

Is 3600 loaded or unloaded?

Gas weighs about 7 lbs a gallon.

Skies, life jackets, fishing poles, diving gear, ice chest, etc weigh A LOT!

I’m thinking your lightly loaded 24 footer will weigh as much or more than your Edge and it is not going to like it or survive very long.

You didn’t say if you have an all wheel drive.

Front wheel drive wouldn’t be my choice for getting any boat out of the water.

Sorry for all the negative comments

There are a few things you can do to help your Edge survive towing your boat.

Does the towing package include a transmission cooler?

Even if it does you’ll want a bigger one.

Change the transmission fluid before every boating season.

Keep the over drive turned off.

Good luck

ab

Greetings and welcome

Legally…No there is nothing you can do. Ford says 3500 so that's what you're stuck with.

Is 3600 loaded or unloaded?

Gas weighs about 7 lbs a gallon.

Skies, life jackets, fishing poles, diving gear, ice chest, etc weigh A LOT!

I'm thinking your lightly loaded 24 footer will weigh as much or more than your Edge and it is not going to like it or survive very long.

You didn't say if you have an all wheel drive.

Front wheel drive wouldn't be my choice for getting any boat out of the water.

Sorry for all the negative comments

There are a few things you can do to help your Edge survive towing your boat.

Does the towing package include a transmission cooler?

Even if it does you'll want a bigger one.

Change the transmission fluid before every boating season.

Keep the over drive turned off.

Good luck

ab

Agreed.

Additionally, if you are going to take that risk and over work you vehicle, make sure to take extreme care of the fluid levels and condition.

I would change my engine oil every 2500 miles under those towing conditions and checking it 10 times as often. Tranny fluid should get swapped to some majorly awesome synthetic (if compatible) like Amsoil.

Some water wetter might help your radiator cool down better as well... just don't run that stuff in the winter if you are in a freezing climate. Also, take it easy on the A/C especially if you run across hills.

• 4 weeks later...

We have a 2008 Ford Edge and would like to know if there is anything that we can do to increase the towing capacity to pull our 3,600 lb, 24ft. boat? We have the towing package for 3,500 lb, but need more... any suggestions?

Qross

For my 2¢, I would say forget about it with your present rig. Of course, there is boat towing and there's boat towing. If you're not going very far and it's just to dump the boat in for the season, I would think you could squeak by. If on the other hand, you will be towing the boat several times a year. get something else, especially if there are hills involved. I have a Flex ECO pulling a smaller boat (probably around 3000 lbs or more including the trailer) and it pulls the boat fine. However, I definitely think I would be better served IF I had electric trailer brakes. The trailer has inertia brakes which I question. If I have to stop quickly, I need plenty of room. More than once, my heart started beating faster when I wondered if I would be able to stop. So, I don't go too fast and try to leave plenty of room in front in case I do have to hit the binders.

I don't know what kind of boat you have, but 3,600 lbs seems to be light for a 24' boat if the trailer is factored in. Then, there's the liability. If you did have an accident, you can bet if any lawyers are involved, the suitability of your tow vehicle will probably be brought up, especially if braking is an issue. I would also think with a 24' boat, the trailer would be at least 26'. That's a lot of length behind the relatively short Edge and I would think it would sway enough to make you hold your breath some times.

IMHO, get another tow vehicle.

Edited by Starflyr
  • Like 1

For my 2¢, I would say forget about it with your present rig. Of course, there is boat towing and there's boat towing. If you're not going very far and it's just to dump the boat in for the season, I would think you could squeak by. If on the other hand, you will be towing the boat several times a year. get something else, especially if there are hills involved. I have a Flex ECO pulling a smaller boat (probably around 3000 lbs or more including the trailer) and it pulls the boat fine. However, I definitely think I would be better served IF I had electric trailer brakes. The trailer has inertia brakes which I question. If I have to stop quickly, I need plenty of room. More than once, my heart started beating faster when I wondered if I would be able to stop. So, I don't go too fast and try to leave plenty of room in front in case I do have to hit the binders.

I don't know what kind of boat you have, but 3,600 lbs seems to be light for a 24' boat if the trailer is factored in. Then, there's the liability. If you did have an accident, you can bet if any lawyers are involved, the suitability of your tow vehicle will probably be brought up, especially if braking is an issue. I would also think with a 24' boat, the trailer would be at least 26'. That's a lot of length behind the relatively short Edge and I would think it would sway enough to make you hold your breath some times.

IMHO, get another tow vehicle.

That's solid logic and advice...

If you are running the big rims, ie, 20", you can find some relief in going to something like 18" and keep the tires with a low profile, if the roads will allow.

This is not a perfect solution, but will give you a little more umph. Also, be aware the speed o may not be accurate.

• 2 years later...