Is D Plan a Good Deal?

D plan is for dealership employees and I think it's the same as A plan or very close. You won't beat it that's for sure.

It was confirmed on the BON forum that the D plan is, in fact, the best a non-Ford employee can do. It's a couple hundred more than the A plan. Looks like I'd better start seriously looking at replacing my 2004 F-150.

Thanks again for the tip to try and find out on the Blue Oval News forum!

It was confirmed on the BON forum that the D plan is, in fact, the best a non-Ford employee can do. It's a couple hundred more than the A plan. Looks like I'd better start seriously looking at replacing my 2004 F-150.

Thanks again for the tip to try and find out on the Blue Oval News forum!

D-plan is not just for anybody, its for Blue Oval Certified Dealership Employees and their immediate families. You need to check the rules.

The pricing is definitely not always the same as A/Z-plan, more like in the middle of X and A/Z for some models.

-Dan

D-plan is not just for anybody, its for Blue Oval Certified Dealership Employees and their immediate families. You need to check the rules.

The pricing is definitely not always the same as A/Z-plan, more like in the middle of X and A/Z for some models.

-Dan

D-Plan is A-Plan plus $100.00 but is only for dealer employees and family only

Hmmm....now I'm wondering if my dealer can actually give me a D-plan price, or if he's only trying to run a game on me.

That's why you need to be careful. He might just give you the D plan price but then add on doc fees and/or keep rebates. I didn't think dealership employees could give out D plan pins to non family members.

That's why you need to be careful. He might just give you the D plan price but then add on doc fees and/or keep rebates. I didn't think dealership employees could give out D plan pins to non family members.

They cannot give them out to non-family members. I am living proof.......my boyfriend is a Ford Tech but since we are not married (only living together for the last 13 years.....) I couldn't get D plan. They were able to get me an X-plan price which was several hundred more than the D plan. Guess I should have gotten married instead of living in sin!

Hmmm....now I'm wondering if my dealer can actually give me a D-plan price, or if he's only trying to run a game on me.

He might not give you the "D" plan but can give you the "D" plan price.

He can actually give you any price he wants (within reason). My dad is retired Ford Aerospace and I have purchased many a vehicle at the A and Z plan price but without a pin. The dealer just knocks down the price to that total.

He might not give you the "D" plan but can give you the "D" plan price.

He can actually give you any price he wants (within reason). My dad is retired Ford Aerospace and I have purchased many a vehicle at the A and Z plan price but without a pin. The dealer just knocks down the price to that total.

That's hard to believe unless the dealer is adding additional fees or keeping rebates. A plan is actually below dealer cost so without the A/Z plan commission check from Ford the dealer is actually losing money.

That's hard to believe unless the dealer is adding additional fees or keeping rebates. A plan is actually below dealer cost so without the A/Z plan commission check from Ford the dealer is actually losing money.

I bought my RX-8 in 2004 for the Z plan price without a pin; also received the rebates, etc. The GM at that dealership told me that all they got was $50.00 to do the paperwork - but he at least is "moving the unit" - and he didn't need the pin to sell me for the plan price.

I bought my RX-8 in 2004 for the Z plan price without a pin; also received the rebates, etc. The GM at that dealership told me that all they got was $50.00 to do the paperwork - but he at least is "moving the unit" - and he didn't need the pin to sell me for the plan price.

There may have been hidden dealer incentives that you were not aware of. Did they add a "documentation fee" - that's usually another $400 in profit. It is possible to get a deal like that but only if they're trying to get rid of inventory.

There may have been hidden dealer incentives that you were not aware of. Did they add a "documentation fee" - that's usually another $400 in profit. It is possible to get a deal like that but only if they're trying to get rid of inventory.

Doc Fee of $495.00. I marked through it and re-did the math. Also received the $1,000.00 rebate that was offered.

No trade in so didn't get screwed there.

Bought it in June of 04 so I guess they could have been trying to clear out for the 05's...

:shrug:

I purchased under the X-Plan. Don't know if the rules are the same for the A, D or Z plans, but with the X-Plan, the dealer had to show me the X-Plan price on his Ford paperwork.

Dealer did try to get me for some extra fees, but Ford rules are that you pay nothing extra. (I pointed this out to dealer but I can't fault him for trying). Dealer also tried to tell me that the registration fee and Title fee to the state was something like $180 and that dealer would refund to me whatever was left from the true cost from that $180. After two weeks, I called the DMV to find out exactly how much it cost for registration and Title, then I "gently" emailed dealer saying that "I know you forgot to mail me my refund check from the registration and Title fee". Dealer phoned me the very next day and said "the refund check was just mailed this morning" and I did receive it the next day. BTW, I also got a Rebate on the car. (X-Plan plus rebate). I figure Ford had rebates because the 06 Zephyr sold so poorly that they carried it over for the 07 MKZ when they first came out.

I've been told that I could probably do better in price if I negotiate directly with dealer, and that may be so, but I purchased at the very start of the model year when dealers don't normally "discount". It was great not having to negotiate, because you are never going to beat the dealer, and I did not want the hassle of the salesperson going back and forth between me and the Sales Manager. I may be purchasing another (additional) Ford product later this year, an 08, and not sure if I will use the X-Plan or try to negotiate with a second dealer.

We shall see what we shall see! :headscratch:

I've been told that I could probably do better in price if I negotiate directly with dealer

Don't believe that. Even if you could get them to match the X plan price they'll still charge you doc fees, etc.

You're only going to do better than X plan out the door if the dealer wants to get rid of a car really, really badly.

We got ours on the X-plan and it was the easiest purchase I've ever made. It wasn't as large of a discount as we expected, but the sales guy showed us the invoice which has the A and Z prices too. Those prices were not a whole lot less than the X price. He said that the plan prices are different on all the cars. For instance a Mustang or basic F-150 was like $5000 off for X-plan. The sticker on our SEL Plus was $32,740 and $31,007 price was. Not a bad discount for not having to argue back and forth for hours. We grinded them a little on the trade in of the wife's old Jetta and ended up getting a grand more than they originally offered. Also was 0.7% financing at the time. We probably could have saved a few more bucks, but not having to be there all day with a pregnant(at the time) wife was worth a ton of money.

We got ours on the X-plan and it was the easiest purchase I've ever made. It wasn't as large of a discount as we expected, but the sales guy showed us the invoice which has the A and Z prices too. Those prices were not a whole lot less than the X price. He said that the plan prices are different on all the cars. For instance a Mustang or basic F-150 was like $5000 off for X-plan. The sticker on our SEL Plus was $32,740 and $31,007 price was. Not a bad discount for not having to argue back and forth for hours. We grinded them a little on the trade in of the wife's old Jetta and ended up getting a grand more than they originally offered. Also was 0.7% financing at the time. We probably could have saved a few more bucks, but not having to be there all day with a pregnant(at the time) wife was worth a ton of money.

Wow....this is turning into a rather long thread, isn't it?

As far as I can tell, from the posts here, I would need to have someone who's eligible for the A or D plan price the vehicle I want, then compare this price to what my dealer offers. It would appear that the D plan price, for example, is not a straight % off the sticker, so there's no way for me to determine the price on my own.

Wow....this is turning into a rather long thread, isn't it?

As far as I can tell, from the posts here, I would need to have someone who's eligible for the A or D plan price the vehicle I want, then compare this price to what my dealer offers. It would appear that the D plan price, for example, is not a straight % off the sticker, so there's no way for me to determine the price on my own.

No, but if he says he's giving you that price then he should show you the invoice and all of the A/Z/X/D plan prices are right there on the invoice.